Heritage Owners Club

Bigsby Add-on Post-Factory

hobokenheritage

Hey all! I finally bit the bullet and bought this H-137 that I've been eyeing for some time. I'm not a huge fan of the typical TV yellow, buy in the tobacco burst this guitar is gorgeous to me, and sounds amazing in the Wolfe video.

https://reverb.com/item/2308973-heritage-h137-2016-tobacco-burst

Question is, how do people here feel about Bigsby trems on this guitar type? All my other Heritages are fixed tail pieces, and I'd love to have a trem on it, but I wonder how stable a Bigsby will be for tuning. I'd have it professionally installed, but I'm curious what everyone's experience with Bigsby's is.

Hoboken:

I have a couple of guitars with Bigsby tailpieces and have mixed feelings about them. I'm not a heavy user of tremolo so they don't get used much. What I can give you an opinion on is the following:

1. Bigsby tailpieces add weight to your guitar. (Not a lot, but they are made of metal.)

2. It takes longer to restring a Bigsby equipped guitar than one with a stop tailpiece.

3. Your tuning is less stable with a Bigsby compared to a stop tailpiece.

4. Installing a "real Bigsby" will leave holes in your guitar that cannot be "covered up".s

5. I've had good luck installing a "Vibramate" type Bigsby that leaves no permanent scars to the guitar.

6. Vibramates can be found at: www.vibramate.com/

7. Bigsby trems are strictly a matter of taste and preference. If you like them, go for it.

I cannot imagine my Gretsch 6120 WITHOUT the Bigsby and at the same time, I cannot imagine my Heritage H-576 WITH a Bigsby. I have installed a Vibramate on a Gibson ES-335 and eventually took it off.

I don't know if this helps, but I think Bigsby's are a matter of taste and preference.

Best of luck.

Stringman

Thanks for the detailed reply, Stringman! Bob, total enabler! Of course, I wouldn't expect anything else here. The obsession is real :)

I think I'll assess once it comes in, and chat with the guitar tech at Rudy's next time I'm in about options. The no-drill trem looks interesting, but I do wonder what impact it has on the holes drilled for the bridge posts over time.

Hobo: You are welcome for the reply. Hope it helped.

I did think of ONE more thing about a Bigsby that MAY be missed before installation. It crowds the control knobs on your guitar and at times you may/will feel like you are pushing the trem arm out of the way just to get to the volume or tone knobs. Frankly, that (along with the weight issue) was the main reason I removed the Vibramate from my 335. Darn thing is heavy enough without the Trem and awkward with it.

Just my 2 cents again.

Thanks and take care.

String

I have a bigsby on my 170, and a 357, and a prospect. I play hard, break a lot of strings. The bigsby don't make for tuning issues. I tune before gigs and am in perfect tune after. String changes are not hard at all. Then there's the fun factor! Much more fun than a stop tail. People who don't use bigsby fear them, people who do love them. Which will you be?

I had one put on a 137 once. Not bad with the little extra weight. My 535 has a Bigsby and feels like it has a 4 pound sledge hammer on it.

img_4174_std.jpg

Ooh, thanks for the visual, High Flying. That's pretty much the exact 137 I bought. I think I'm going to have it installed :D Out of curiosity, does that 137 still fit in the case with the Bigsby attached, or will I need to get a different, deeper case?

You will be fine with the case you have. If you got it from Wolfe you may get an Access case. Those are great.

I have a bigsby on my 170, and a 357, and a prospect. I play hard, break a lot of strings. The bigsby don't make for tuning issues. I tune before gigs and am in perfect tune after. String changes are not hard at all. Then there's the fun factor! Much more fun than a stop tail. People who don't use bigsby fear them, people who do love them. Which will you be?

Bob: I think people's mileage will vary from yours. I have tuning issues with a Bigsby that I don't have with other Trems or Stop Tail guitars. I'm glad yours stays in tune better than that. Changing strings is more of a challenge using a Capo and bending the string end up to match the pin on which it sits. But, not a deal killer.

Your statement about "fearing a Bigsby or loving a Bigsby" leaves no room for middle ground. I am very much a middle ground guy when it comes to the Bigsby. I don't fear it. I don't love it, either. But, you can't really play surf music or rockabilly without a trem, can you?

No disrespect intended. Just sayin'.

Take care.

stringman.

I looked into the Vibramate and it looks like they don't make one for Junior-style Les Pauls, since the Junior doesn't have the separate stoptail.

Someone had a type of vibrato system that is directly attached to the bridge... Can't remember who makes it though.

If I were to go the Bigsby route, which model is appropriate? I see the B5 on many Juniors, but I also see some with a Bigsby that wraps over the bottom of the guitar, and I can't figure which exact one that is...

Edit: on closer inspection, the other one looks like the B7. Probably stick with the B5 to retain more of the top wood visibility.

If I were to go the Bigsby route, which model is appropriate? I see the B5 on many Juniors, but I also see some with a Bigsby that wraps over the bottom of the guitar, and I can't figure which exact one that is...

Edit: on closer inspection, the other one looks like the B7. Probably stick with the B5 to retain more of the top wood visibility.

For a flat top guitar like yours a B5 is perfect.

Archived