Heritage Owners Club

Help with 535 Noise/Feedback

jmac

I just pulled out my 535 with HWR pickups and DIV pickup splitting system. I bought it used and the previous owner had set it up so that one volume and tone control ran both pickups. Haven't played it in a while.

Anyway, both pickups work but as I turn up the tone control it seems to add distortion/feedback/screech. I am using a Quilter 101 amp.

Any suggestions?

I just pulled out my 535 with HWR pickups and DIV pickup splitting system. I bought it used and the previous owner had set it up so that one volume and tone control ran both pickups. Haven't played it in a while.

Anyway, both pickups work but as I turn up the tone control it seems to add distortion/feedback/screech. I am using a Quilter 101 amp.

Any suggestions?

Not sure about the distortion. I know you can set a Quilter to be squeaky clean or dirty. I have an Avi8 that I really like! So it must be the guitar. If it's feedback causing all the commotion try stuffing a bit of natural sponge (or a non-reactive alternative) in the cavity. It's an old trick the Nuge used to do in his hollowbodies. I've used it with great success in my semi-hollow Prospect. Tamed it right down.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I don't think its feedback from the amp as it gets worse as I turn up the tone knob.. Maybe some DeOxit might help. I should get the tone and volume knobs connected to each pick up anyway. don't really like the current set up

Pics would be benefitial... If it is the Dual Vip system with two 3 way toggles. I originally would have a master Volume and Master tone with the two upper(closest to bridge) pots being phase roll of controls.

In the toggle down, the pickups coil tap
In Middle toggle they are in standard humbucker
Toggle up activates the variphase operation.

Many HOCers are not familiar with this cool $300 cost dealer upgrade

Archived