Heritage Owners Club

What's that smell?

pushover

I remember someone mentioning the sweet smell of their guitar on here way back when, and at the time all I had was solid bodies and so I didn't know what the comment was about.

Now I've got my 535, it's got this really nice sweet smell to it that is especially pungent when you first open up the case. It's so nice that once I found my 16 year old sitting in front of the open case just sniffing the odor (which is obviously something I consider to be a much better alternative to the many other things she might be sniffing).

So my question is.. what makes the guitar smell so nice? Is it the wood? Is is a treatment/preservative? Or what? Enquiring minds want to know?

It might have been me that posted about the smell.  I have always loved that smell.  I still get whiffs of it every now and then. 

Its the glue they use to produce the case. Seems it never cures. Even if you leave the case open a while. Once you close it, it comes back. Its not the guitar. My H150 never spends any time in the case, but open it up...its still there, from 2001!

Its the glue they use to produce the case. Seems it never cures. Even if you leave the case open a while. Once you close it, it comes back. Its not the guitar. My H150 never spends any time in the case, but open it up...its still there, from 2001!

It's the semi acoustics that have a certain "aroma". I'd guess its the bare wood inside.

I'm going to bottle it and sell it as aftershave ;D

Any takers...

Brent... :wink:

bottle it and we can spray it on our older models that have lost some of the aroma.  My 555 smells like... vanilla.  Although the coffee/chocolate reference isn't far off the mark, either.  My 150 does as well, although not as strong as the 555 (which is newer).  My 535 has lost most of it's sweet smell being the oldest and most played.  My old strat still smells like a bar (cigs and beer).

Your case may have a nice smell too, but mine is definitely from the guitars. 8) :afro:

It's NOT the case... I'm a nerd at heart, so I did take the guitar out of the case to check this, and it's not the case. I also have a 157 and that (case and all..) smells of "nothing" (nada, zippo, ziltch, diddly, bupkus). It's the guitar, and seems specific to the hollow/semi-hollow bodies. I still figure it's something they add, or do to the wood.

I Bought a MF Tweed Fender style case back in 2004, it smelled like a skunk had made its home in there.

Same here. Ended up throwing it out. Couldn't stand the smell. Lord knows what it was doing to the guitar.

Gentlemen, 

The smell you refer to is the sweet smell of satisfaction.  It comes with every Heritage - some have trouble recognizing it.  8)

It's 'Ode to Cool Guitar'.  I believe it'll seduce any human man or woman.

For men; it makes them daydream of great riffs and chord changes with that full warm tone that just fills a room. 

For a woman; If they are guitars players it's the same, if not, it's; I need to be closer to the man that has that nice clean sweet smell. :love7:  And she'll wonder if the kisses are as sweet and nice.

Also: That Smell (Lynyrd Skynyrd)  Verse: F  Am  :||  Chorus: F G Am G :||    Turnover/Bridge: C G Bb F Am x2

Archived