Heritage Owners Club

98 H150 Pickup surrounds.

Jwmusic

So despite not looking for one, I am now the owner of a pretty clean 98 H150 (we do love a birth year guitar). It’s all stock besides the pickup surrounds which are non original as the pickups cannot be properly adjusted down on the neck. Does anyone know what surrounds where being used in 98? Or have an idea what ones should fit?
TIA. 

• Like 1

Happy NGD!

The original pickups may have been schallers, which used a pickup ring with double adjustment screws on each side. That’s about all the advice I can think to give without pics or more info. I wouldn’t worry too much about using an oem part there; just whatever works and matches the color scheme. 

I wonder what pickups you have in there now? Specially if maybe a bridge pickup got installed in the neck position - the legs can be a little taller in bridge pups, which has me wondering. Could explain why you’ve got no more adjustment room. The pickup ring doesn’t have much bearing on that (unless it’s too tall of a ring; maybe it’s a bridge ring?) 

Edited by kbp810

Yes what kbp810 said...more details please? Do the pups bottom out? If so maybe the legs are too long for the cavity.

If they are loose & wobble around you may just need longer springs.

Yup, Heritage pickup cavities were rather shallow until the mid 00s’. They were pretty much always using Schaller pickups in those days which had short mounting legs.

Congratulations on your birth year guitar. Did they make guitars in 1955? Asking for a friend  😳

• Like 1

JW,   I ran into that issue when I tried to install a pair of SD Seth Lovers in my H157.   The original Schallers have short legs,  the Seths have long legs.   As such I really couldn't install the pickups.   Luckily, when I put my Alnico IIs in my H140, they just fit.  There's no downward movement left, but they are good where they are.

If you need to replace the pickup,  you need to look for a pickup with short legs.    A lot of manufacturers will make short leg PAFs if you ask.

As for the mounts,  I have replaced the ones in my H157, and since I have the Schallers still in there,   I simply drilled two holes to let me use the two mounting screws of the Schaller pickups.   It looks factory stock.

I'm guessing that the pickups were changed, which happens more often than not.     The guys at the factory would have routed the hole deeper if they were putting in the long legged pickups.    FWIW,   SD59s are the standard pickup now for the H150 standard.    The 59 normally comes with the long legs.