Heritage Owners Club

Another New Guy

Dutchman

Hello,

Thank You for the Forum.

I recently played a Heritage H-535 at Fred Walecki's Westwood Music in LA and I have been Jonesing for one since. (I live in South Dakota, no dealers)

I will be purchasing a H-535 in the near future.

I was hoping that some of you may be willing to help me with my decision and share some information.

What is the difference in tone of the 59's and the Seth Lover and the new HRW offered with the H-535.

Is there any difference in the model years?

Any warning flags to look out for buying a used one?

Any other comments that anyone would want to add welcomed

I would prefer to buy a used H-535, doesn't have to be in pristine physical condition.

It'll be a work Guitar.

Thank You.

Dutchman,

Welcome to the HoC. The 535 is a wonderful guitar. I really like mine with it's lowly Schallers.  8) I really can't comment on the dif between all the pickups, so I'll let others help you with that. As an FYI, we have a Sale section and an Ebay section, both of which may help you find a good H535. They come up quite often. Again, welcome and good luck with finding that special 535. We'll be happy to help enable your upcoming bout with GAS.  ;D

Thanks for joining new guy!

The 535s like the 150 are most abundant so if you can hold on you should be able to find something great. Check out all the colors and options like inlaid headstocks. The 59's, Lovers and HRW pups all have their fans so it depends what you play and the tone you are chasing. There are several threads on pickups to review but you know you can swap out the electronics and hardware. I suggest you look for neck shape, color and wood figure. Some of our five star plus members have posted photos and descriptions of their personal 535's that are stunners. Two of the best of the best were just sold out of San Francisco, you could check them out as a reference.

I suggest you look for neck shape, color and wood figure.

That is an excellent suggestion  :)

I was not aware that there where different neck shapes offered. What neck shapes are offered with a H535?

I really like the neck on the guitar at WestWood Music, seemed to be a thinner neck like an old 335.

That is an excellent suggestion  :)

I was not aware that there where different neck shapes offered. What neck shapes are offered with a H535?

I really like the neck on the guitar at WestWood Music, seemed to be a thinner neck like an old 335.

The necks are all handmade, so there is no real "standard". And since Heritage is basically a custom shop, people can order what size necks they want. Which is why you should ask about the neck profile. If there were a standard, the older guitars are generally thought to be between a 60's slim profile and a 50's profile. Newer ones, say ... 2007 and up, may have slightly fatter profiles as Ren and Marv have intimated they are going with slightly bigger necks. Altho' I can testify that the neck on my 2005 H535 is not a fat neck, at all. I'd consider it slim.

The necks are all handmade, so there is no real "standard". And since Heritage is basically a custom shop, people can order what size necks they want. Which is why you should ask about the neck profile. If there were a standard, the older guitars are generally thought to be between a 60's slim profile and a 50's profile. Newer ones, say ... 2007 and up, may have slightly fatter profiles as Ren and Marv have intimated they are going with slightly bigger necks. Altho' I can testify that the neck on my 2005 H535 is not a fat neck, at all. I'd consider it slim.

Great Info  :thumbsup:

Thank You all for the warm welcome.

Welcome, Dutchman!  You've already had good advice, with more to come, I'm sure.  There is an astonishing wealth of experience regarding guitars, in general, and, of course, Heritage here! One thing you might do, when you have a little time, is do key word searches on the forum.  You can type things such as "Seth Lovers," or "535," or "HRW's" and pull up a ton of threads and postings on the forum, relevant to those topics.  This is a great place!  Enjoy!

Welcome to the HOC, Dutchman!  8)

Another consideration is the type of music you will be playing.  H535's cover so much musical ground, but some players lean more towards blues, jazz or rock.  The p'ups in a semi-hollow can make a big difference in your tone depending on your preferred music style.

What kind of music do you play?

What kind of music do you play?

Good Question. I play Classic Rock, Pop, Blues and Country mostly. Most of my time is spent recording, with very little road time anymore.

I love the old Southern Rock tones from the 335's, Elvin Bishops wonderful warm rides and slides are some of my favorites.

Thanks

Whoa - another Elvin Bishop fan!  Personal choice, but I prefer seth lovers in 535 models.  Have not had HRWs, but have had SD59, stock schallers, and seth lovers.  For that warm southern rock tone, it's seth lovers.  Good luck with the hunt.  Pickups can always be changed - go for the finish and condition that you like.

Good Question. I play Classic Rock, Pop, Blues and Country mostly. Most of my time is spent recording, with very little road time anymore.

I love the old Southern Rock tones from the 335's, Elvin Bishops wonderful warm rides and slides are some of my favorites.

Thanks

I'd recommend either SD Seth Lovers or HRW's for that style.

The Seth's are unpotted, but warm, PAF'ish and tend to squeal if pushed too hard.  Squealing is less likely to happen in a studio environment, however).

HRW's are a bit hotter, but still have a nice PAF tone.  I have them in my H-555 and they sound fantastic.

Another consideration are SD Phat Cats or the new SD PRails for a more P90 tone.  They sound GREAT in a semi-hollow gitfiddle!

You might do a search on this board for discussions on each of the pickups that have been mentioned.

The 535 is a wonderful guitar. I really like mine with it's lowly Schallers.  8)

I'm with tulk1, I really like the Schallers in my 535.  It seems to me that amp and

speaker would be more important to overall sound unless you've already got that

down pat and are just looking for fine adjustment.

Archived