Heritage Owners Club

Getting Re-Acquainted...After the Honeymoon!

Gitfiddler

Do any of you stash a guitar away for a while, only to pull it out of the closet and get re-acquainted with it?

This happened to me last night when I fired up my H-575 Custom after a long hiatus.  I've been playing out more recently, and the H-555 has been getting most of the gig time due to its incredible tonal flexibility.

But man, the H-575 is one fantastic jazz box, especially for the money.  After the honeymoon was over with this beauty, a couple of years now, I fell back in love with her all over again last night!  She felt just right and sounded wonderful!

Has that ever happened to you guys?

Here's a glamour shot of 'Tiger' since I know I'll get the usual and customary  :uwp: hazing from my friends here.  :)

width=600 height=450http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4040/heritageh575custombody2qb.jpg[/img]

Just the opposite, here, 'fiddler, although I like your idea.  I have a music room.  Everybody has a stand; they're all (eleven) always out.  I wander in constantly, picking someone different up each time I go in.  They're all either being played or resonating from the stereo for the house, which is in that room.  That room gets a great late-afternoon light, and the 150 and 576 just [glow=red,2,300]glow[/glow] in it.  My favorite room in the house!

Do any of you stash a guitar away for a while, only to pull it out of the closet and get re-acquainted with it?

Yes, all the time. The only problem is, is it makes me want more!!

I stash mine away and "forget" that I have them.

Thats why I have six Strats !

I recently have been getting reacquainted with a metallic green MusicMan Silhouette Special that I bought in the 90's. A great axe but why I opted for green I can't remember  ???

Yoslate: I wish I could keep mine out on display but I don't have enough room and the last time I left a guitar out on dislpay on a stand it suffered a hoover (attack of the female wielding variety) and the headstock got broken  :'(. So now for the guitars safety, and the sake of domestic bliss  :-*, they are all in cases  :-[.

Yoslate: I wish I could keep mine out on display but I don't have enough room and the last time I left a guitar out on dislpay on a stand it suffered a hoover (attack of the female wielding variety)

Yeah, Southpaw, that's why my arrangement includes me doing the vacuuming...and not just that room, either.  My wife, who's just a bit jealous of them, refers to my guitars as "the women."  She'sgreat about allowing me pursuit of my musical involvements, but clear about how she feels....  Maybe I should put my guitars up in their own apartment somewhere across town?   

I'm kind of with yoslate, as they are all out on stands.  However, my Aria Pro and my Epiphone Les Paul experience abusive neglect sometimes.  Then I pick them up, and it is fun to get re-acquainted.  Just something different!

Sorry Gitfiddler, but leaving a beauty like this H-575 tucked away for a long amount of time while exclusively playing another guitar is the musical instrument equivalent of leaving Charlize Theron tied up and neglected while pursuing more "flexible"endeavors with Angelina Jolie. I mean, sure, the idea would be fun for a while, but after a few days, you gotta cut her loose.  ;)

the musical instrument equivalent of leaving Charlize Theron tied up and neglected while pursuing more "flexible"endeavors with Angelina Jolie.

Kaz:  Well done!  Nothing more effective than a well drawn metaphor!  This one works for me!!  Is Charlize tied up literally or figurati....  Well...never mind.  I'd better go vacuum!    :P

Sorry Gitfiddler, but leaving a beauty like this H-575 tucked away for a long amount of time while exclusively playing another guitar is the musical instrument equivalent of leaving Charlize Theron tied up and neglected while pursuing more "flexible"endeavors with Angelina Jolie. I mean, sure, the idea would be fun for a while, but after a few days, you gotta cut her loose.  ;)

:) Yes, I know.  I should not neglect that beauty.  Hence the guilt-ridden post.

And as far as your Charlize Theron/Angelina Jolie metaphor, don't make me whip out my Eva Langoria fantasy photo!  8)

Yes, I know.  I should not neglect that beauty.  Hence the guilt-ridden post.

And as far as your Charlize Theron/Angelina Jolie metaphor, don't make me whip out my Eva Langoria fantasy photo! 

I saw that photo on another post. That one that had to do with desert islands!!!

Interesting how, on occasion, the topic of guitars can so easily gravitate to the beauty of another sort. Such is the dreamer mind of a musician.

And talk about dreaming. Could you only imagine if they offered up E-Bay auctions for our "other" obessions?  :P

Hi...

I, and I'd guess quite a few other members, buy and sell guitars on Ebay. As such my collection is always changing. Certain guitars appeal on first playing and I keep them, others I move straight on. The beauty of Ebay is that it's made it possible for me to own so many different guitars of all makes, shapes and sizes. I have the chance to get to really know a guitar before I decide to sell or keep it. There's no way I could have the opportunity to try so many guitars from visiting my local guitar shop (store). Best of all I can even make a few quid into the bargain (usually).

As such I have quite a few guitars that are "keepers" and from time to time I pick them back up and realise why I liked them so much. If I find I don't pick a guitar up anymore, or that when I do I don't enjoy playing it, then it's time to move it on.

I like my (new to me) Heritage 140 and because of the P90's giving it such a distinctive sound I'll probably keep it. Thing is I can't get used to the skinny body so now I'm going to have to buy a 150 !!!

Presuming we all own other makes of guitars too... What other makes/models do you guys like?

Hi Gitfiddler...

I've seen a lot of guitars, you know, but a guitar like that... My jaws dropped...

When I see this top, I imagine that I'm in in airplane, above the sands of the Sahara...

Please, some more pics, I'd like so much to see the back of this amazing beauty...

Thanks, and best regards,

Christian.

Hi Gitfiddler...

I've seen a lot of guitars, you know, but a guitar like that... My jaws dropped...

When I see this top, I imagine that I'm in in airplane, above the sands of the Sahara...

Please, some more pics, I'd like so much to see the back of this amazing beauty...

Thanks, and best regards,

Christian.

Hello Christian.  Your wish is my command, sir!  The best news is that 'Tiger' plays as geat as she looks.  Enjoy... :)

Rear:

width=600 height=450http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1960/heritageh575customrear9jo.jpg[/img]

Side:

width=600 height=450http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/411/heritageh575custom1iv.jpg[/img]

Ad Copy:

width=600 height=450http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/967/heritageh575customadcopy5ct.jpg[/img]

Honestly, no BS, THAT is one of the most magnificent guitars I have ever seen, Heritage or otherwise.

Maybe by leaving it tucked away you are subconcsiously trying to protect it. Can't say I blame you really. I would personally keep it as my "at home" guitar, as in it never leaves the house-especially to be taken out for a gig and into some smoke-filled bar.

Thanks Brent and Kaz.  It definitely is a 'stay at home' guitar!  It is also a sit down player.  There's a pearl inlay dot (that matches those on the Rosewood fretboard) where the upper strap pin would normally be screwed in.  I can't bring myself to put a screw hole in that wood, so I sit and play.

I purchased her used (after being smitten by it on Jay's site) and the previous owner played it gently and mostly in the first position, leaving the frets almost new.  The p'ups are Schalers, but I'd swear they sound more PAF'ish in that guitar than any other archtop I've ever played.  It really is a special piece.

Hi Gitfiddler,

Thank you very much for the pics... (no comment)...

You know, if you'd sell this guitar, I wouldn't even buy it...

Why ?

Because I've already got to face a big problem with my Heritage guitars...

and I wouldn't like it to become insurmountable...

This cartoon by Dan Piraro really depicts it very well... (here it is...)

;-) and best regards,

Christian.

Folksinger.jpg

Folksinger.jpg_thumb

Gitfiddler,

If that guitar were mine, I'd almost have to build a shrine for it. I don't think I'd ever be able to put it away in its case. That is just so gorgeous!

Gitfiddler,

If that guitar were mine, I'd almost have to build a shrine for it. I don't think I'd ever be able to put it away in its case. That is just so gorgeous!

Thanks, TSteel.  Sometimes I do leave her out on the stand for inspiration. 

When I first saw Wolfe's ad for this guitar, I thought it was over-the-top gaudy.  But after receiving it, all I could do is say 'WOW'!  Usually builders save the dramatic quilt maple for the rear of an archtop and flame maple for sides and maybe the top.  This one is just so unusual in so many ways.  She will no be neglected any longer.

It happened to me last week.  I was going to sell two of my guitars to order a fat body but after taking these pictures for e-bay I chickened out.  I don't have the heart to sell it.

http://www.ronwarren.com/535/

Archived