Heritage Owners Club

H-150 with P-90s

RJLII

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P-90s can be rather buzzy, especially at higher gain settings. They make great antennas! When I order my H-150 I'm going with the Fralin noiseless versions instead of the Lollars. All the reviews I've read suggest that the Lollars sound the best to many ears, but the Fralins nail 99.9% of the sound and don't hum. I hate hum, even if it is historically accurate.

Here are a couple that I had built. they both have thicker necks, the gold top is Guitar Reranch paint, not the standard Heritage gold top, (I don't suggest that as it was in spray cans and it caused a lot of extra work for the finish guys) Ultra top on the faded cherry sunburst ( we call this faded only because they wipe some of the cherry stain back off to make the cherry not look as bright) These both have inlaid logo without putting binding on the headstock, Heritage would never do this before but Marv finally figured out how to do this and these were the first 2 guitars to have that done. I applied the toggle switch rings, indicators and cream jack plates instead of black. By raising up the Lollar P-90's pretty close to the strings these guitars sound almost identical to my '55 Gold Top. Both of these guitars have sold and so are not available. Remember if you want a light weight you may consider ordering a chambered one, the mahogany is pretty heavy that they have in stock right now. When these were built they hadn't figured how to chamber this model but they have it worked out now. I worked for a long time to get them to build this model guitar and I had Jason Lollar send Heritage a set of P-90's to try them out because I wanted them used them on the P-90 guitars ordered for my shop only as an exclusive. Ren tried them out and said these pickups are amazing, we want to use them in all of our P-90 guitars, not just your orders. While that wasn't what I was originally planning it has been a great decision on Heritage' part to put out a guitar with the best possible pickups of it's type available. GO HERITAGE!!!

thanks,

Dennis

Big Orange Guitar

post-1849-1268054787_thumb.jpg

post-1849-1268054663_thumb.jpg

post-1849-1268055130_thumb.jpg

Great Post..! Some tales of Heritage and cool pics too. All are nice, but I love that cherry one... really sweet !

Lots of sweet axes in this thread.... :(

As a recent new member of the P-90 brigade may I present this litte gem, not a 150 but still very sweet ...

gallery_328_8_1655.jpg

That is a nice one SPG, I like your taste in gifiddles, except of course they are all upside down.

Actually the Lollar p-90s are shielded better than the vintage p-90 and have less hum. Is there some hum? Yes, but the tone is definitely worth the trade off. Plus I don't use high gain (I do use some gain though) and I really don't have an issue with the hum.

Doesn't John Covach have one just like this ? Except maybe his is even nicer.

Not that I'm aware of, but if he does, and it's "nicer," I don't think I want to see it!!!

And by the way, happy St. Pat's, Paul. Mom's folks were from County Waterford....

Greetings to all,

It looks like I'll be rejoining the workforce pretty soon, and there's no better way to celebrate than with a new guitar. I'm thinking about a special order Flametop H-150 with soapbar P-90s. I was thinking something like what's shown below but with Black soapbars and a bound rosewood pickguard that will match the fingerboard. How about posting your P-90 equipped guitars and give a brother a few more ideas?

p1_u2vmri1y4_so.jpg

This is the one I meant. I need this guitar only in a lefty.

Please pay no attention to the ugly guy holding it!

MeP90.jpg

Are you sure you want to add a pickguard, and cover up that pretty wood?

That's purdy!! :headbang:

Begins gassing for a H150 with p90's . . .

on my list!

A friend who gigs says "You need 3 guitars for basics. One with a set nice hums. Another with a set of p90's. And finally one with a nice set of single coils. Of course there's people that say you need a strat or tele tones, bass guitar or acoustic steel, acoustic nylon, but that's just getting into specifics. "

• 1 month later...
P-90s can be rather buzzy, especially at higher gain settings. They make great antennas! When I order my H-150 I'm going with the Fralin noiseless versions instead of the Lollars. All the reviews I've read suggest that the Lollars sound the best to many ears, but the Fralins nail 99.9% of the sound and don't hum. I hate hum, even if it is historically accurate.

Please let us know how the noiseless Fralins work out . . . I'm considering getting a 137 w/same. : )

Begins gassing for a H150 with p90's . . .

on my list!

A friend who gigs says "You need 3 guitars for basics. One with a set nice hums. Another with a set of p90's. And finally one with a nice set of single coils. Of course there's people that say you need a strat or tele tones, bass guitar or acoustic steel, acoustic nylon, but that's just getting into specifics. "

yes, I would agree with that.

Greetings to all,

It looks like I'll be rejoining the workforce pretty soon, and there's no better way to celebrate than with a new guitar. I'm thinking about a special order Flametop H-150 with soapbar P-90s. I was thinking something like what's shown below but with Black soapbars and a bound rosewood pickguard that will match the fingerboard. How about posting your P-90 equipped guitars and give a brother a few more ideas?

p1_u2vmri1y4_so.jpg

Gawd! That is Gorgeous!! I wouldn't change a thing!! :good_mini:

I was checking out Bareknuckles website and they offer a P-90 in a humbucker size called Mississippi Queen thought this was a interesting option thought it might help.

Please let us know how the noiseless Fralins work out . . . I'm considering getting a 137 w/same. : )

Brentrocks has them installed in his H-137 and says he like them.

IMG_3193.jpg

Archived