Heritage Owners Club

Oh, Crap... Honey, it followed me home, really!

Kuz

Very nice John! These were transition amps indeed. The smooth brown tolex was short lived and was found between 1963 and 1964 and wasn't used on all models. These were transition because the "Crestline" series amps were already in production and "leftover" chassis' and cabinets of the older model designs had to match the color of the new brown Crestlines! This happened at Fender with the leftover tweed Champ chassis' and cabinets. They were released in '64 with black tolex.

Oh, and don't push that speaker with a pedal. They're known to blow quite easily.

I checked the speaker and the pots and they date to '62. I haven't checked the transformer yet.

I may need your service again, but the dealer said his local tech could change the caps and add the 3 prong power cord.

What is the worst thing if you blow the speaker? Will it just need re-coned or could more damage result?

Thanks for the advice Mike aka "The Amp whisperer"

I checked the speaker and the pots and they date to '62. I haven't checked the transformer yet.

I may need your service again, but the dealer said his local tech could change the caps and add the 3 prong power cord.

What is the worst thing if you blow the speaker? Will it just need re-coned or could more damage result?

Thanks for the advice Mike aka "The Amp whisperer"

Yes, the parts will date to '62 but I believe the use of the smooth brown tolex puts the build date later. If you blow the speaker you can have Weber recone it with a higher temperature voice coil. If it were mine I would box the speaker and pickup a '62 Jensen C12R or C12Q.

_DSC4702web.jpg

"Honey, get that thing out of my chair......"

These amps sure look cool with all of the age on them.

Sweet..Gibson amps rock!! that is a very nice specimen..Enjoy!! :) you are absolutely right about them taking pedals well..My gibsonette just LOVES my tube Screamer..

Have fun finding and sticking in some vintage old stock tubes in that, nice find!

Have fun finding and sticking in some vintage old stock tubes in that, nice find!

Ha, it has the original tubes in it!!!!!

Great little amp, but I amp going to have the caps changed before I really play it hard.

There is this guy named Mike Ricca (Slidder 13)..........

Ha, it has the original tubes in it!!!!!

Great little amp, but I amp going to have the caps changed before I really play it hard.

There is this guy named Mike Ricca (Slidder 13)..........

Oh yeah!...The fact that it still sounds good is a testament to the way tubes used to be built. But you still want to stock up on the good vintage stuff anyway, the tones are worth it, especially to one who collects vintage amps! You will want to voice that amp personally. But the tube collecting GAS is even worse than guitars, it's the larger number of smaller transactions...:) At last count I have GAS'ed over 420 tubes to roll in my amps, got it bad.

Oh yeah!...The fact that it still sounds good is a testament to the way tubes used to be built. But you still want to stock up on the good vintage stuff anyway, the tones are worth it, especially to one who collects vintage amps! You will want to voice that amp personally. But the tube collecting GAS is even worse than guitars, it's the larger number of smaller transactions...:DAt last count I have GAS'ed over 420 tubes to roll in my amps, got it bad.

My goodness man!!!!

I bet you have some serious tone over there!!!!

Collecting nice tubes allows you to pick your tone set for any amp at any time like the flower of the day from your garden. And just as it's really fun to catch a fish with a fly you tied using a rod you built :D so is it fun to work alongside with a tech or have learned enough to bring something vintage to something vintage and great. I was fortunate to have a guitar/bass instrument and amp repair shop owning friend that allowed me to sit next to his bench while he fixed guitar amps. Along with a butt load of reading Vacuum Tube Valley back issues, listening to the prattle while he was working also enabled the sickness. Finally, I started collecting tubes and a few vintage 12 and 15 inch guitar speakers and a few amps of varying types.

IMHO the ability to personally voice an amp is as important to how good you sound solo or especially within a mix as the ability to perform the quality of setup you are capable of on the guitar(s) you choose to play through that amp. It's part of the tone chain. Very inspiring to create personal tones through the tube and speaker rolling channels...

Well the GA-8T Discoverer is getting a 3 prong plug and I went the safety route by having the caps changed.

It will be done in a week and then I will try to find time to post some tone clips.

Wow $129 in 1961 was a weeks salary, before taxes!

/old fart chiming in

In 1961 I was still in public school and my weekend job at a car wash paid a buck an hour. So a week's salary was maybe $15. $129 might as well have been $129,000.

/end old fart chiming in

Archived