Heritage Owners Club

Help me design my next Heritage!

barrymclark

Ok, so, I have finally put my excess guitars and music crap up for sell that I never use in the interest of getting my collection of unused stuff down and get a good friend for my H140.

I need some suggestions.

Assuming that no emergency comes along and I am able to keep this money in a 'Heritage Fund', this is what I want:

Dressed down but elegant.

I don't want it to be the same thing as my 140 but provided a believable back up for it and vice versa.

I know what I want trans black with nice curly maple top not unlike my 140. Doesn't have t be crazy flame, just nice. So, no AAAAAAAAAA flame top needed.

I was thinking P90s as I am a huge fan of the Schaller Golden 50's and figure, while being different, still has that gnarly vintage type tone. Love the sound of an SG with P90's!

Don't need binding or inlaid logo or block/trapezoid inlays. Just dots or even minidots are fine. I rather like the dressed down unassuming thing.

Maybe an ebony board to make it a bit different that way too?

I want it to be able to do everything from jazz to rockabilly to rock to heavy metal just as my 140 does.

I see they are doing the 140 again (wish it still had the florentine cut B) )

What do you guys think?

What would you do if these were your interests?

Almost sounds as though I should get the newer 140 with transblack top, P90's and an ebony board.

But, I have a lot of time as the selling of stuff will only get me part of the way there so I thought I would get some ideas. :dontknow:

Thanks!

Almost sounds as though I should get the newer 140 with transblack top, P90's and an ebony board.

That sounds pretty cool right there .. fits your needs and is different enough to not just be duplicate of your 140.

I tried to think of other pickups and came up with maybe P-Rails... but the P90's are hard to beat

That sounds pretty cool right there .. fits your needs and is different enough to not just be duplicate of your 140.

I tried to think of other pickups and came up with maybe P-Rails... but the P90's are hard to beat

Just what I was going to say. Sounds like a sweet git, to me.

I was thinking a 110 or a Prospect might fit the bill. I bet they would do either with P90s. Neither comes standard with the binding on the headstock. Slightly smaller than the 535 if that's an issue. Neither will have the weight of the 150 or 157, should be closer to your 140.

BTW, did you see the 140 25th Anniv. model? It's got the old Florentine cut. The website has a nice silverburst showing. I wonder if Brent had anything to do with that!? B)

I was thinking a 110 or a Prospect might fit the bill. I bet they would do either with P90s. Neither comes standard with the binding on the headstock. Slightly smaller than the 535 if that's an issue. Neither will have the weight of the 150 or 157, should be closer to your 140.

BTW, did you see the 140 25th Anniv. model? It's got the old Florentine cut. The website has a nice silverburst showing. I wonder if Brent had anything to do with that!? B)

H140_25th_h.jpgh140_25th.jpg

H 140 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Specifications :

25 to be made - Silverburst only

24 3/4” scale, 22 fret, Ebony dot fingerboard, bound in .040” white binding

One piece mahogany neck joins body at 16th fret – with 17 degree bound peg-head

17” length solid mahogany body 12-1/2” - width 1- 5/8”rim

Scarfed back- Single bound carved maple top

Wooden Fingerrest, bound in white

Chrome Hardware

Grover Machine Heads

Tone – Pro Bridge and TP

Pickups - Seymour Duncan 59’s

Strings - GHS 10/46

Truss Rod Cover engraved 25th Anniversary

Registration # on Certificate and Custom Label

That is cool right there.

What about the h110 does not work for you?

conorb

Chrome Hardware

Grover Machine Heads

Tone – Pro Bridge and TP

Strings - GHS 10/46

Barry, Have you considered a 535? They're pretty versatile.

I have honestly thought about this one. The only concern is feedback with higher gain.

I have never owned a semi-hollow and don't know how they easily they feedback.

Anyone?

Chrome Hardware

Grover Machine Heads

Tone – Pro Bridge and TP

Strings - GHS 10/46

Do you think Brent may be working on getting one of these????? :D

I have honestly thought about this one. The only concern is feedback with higher gain.

I have never owned a semi-hollow and don't know how they easily they feedback.

Anyone?

feedback is not an issue with my es-335 or cs-336. eljay

I just heard a 335 at high gain. Loved the sound.

The only question I have now is, how does it do at higher volumes with higher gain?

Still no feedback issues?

My first thought when I was looking at another guitar was to get a semi-hollow something like a 535 or a G&L Bluesboy but a much heavier lean towards a 535.

That would give me a solid body (H140), a semi-hollow (the possible 535), a full-hollow (the Gretsch) and an acoustic (the Gibbon). An ass for every seat, so to speak.

So... this is a real possibility.

Even with higher gain for say, rock or metal?

i don't play at high volume levels. it's my understanding that the purpose of the semi-hollow design of the 335 was to mitigate feedback and that it succeeded very well in this regard. funny, my heritage-in-building is an h530, full hollow body, so my low volume playing circumstances are gonna serve me well, i hope.

my bro. bought a gretsch recently and the full hollow sound really has captured my fancy (along with the sound of fenders, rics, gibsons, etc.)

if i didn't already have my 335 and 336, a 535 would be high on my must-have list. regards, eljay

I was thinking about a 170. I am starting to lean towards a 535 though. Just played a 335 through a good rock gain and I had to really crank it and get close to the amp before it started to wanna feedback or howl.

Maybe a milli.... but I am really thinking a 535. Is a good 'somewhere between' the Gretsch full hollow I have and the solid body. The Gretsch can't back up the 140 in high gain situations for obvious reasons but can in clean. The 535 could. The 535 could also back up the Gretsch believably.

We will see... I may not even come up with the dough. haha.

Barry, at first i thought you had answered your own question, when you mentioned another 140 with P-90's..(which still is a good idea) but a semi-hollow like a 535 can cover all the bases really well, and has a great sounding woody tone..The guitar I traded for my 140 was a gibbon LP BFG which was chambered and had a P-90 in the neck position..I almost never used the bridge bucker,but that P-90 sounded so SWEET!! So how about this idea..Maybe a 535 with P-90's..? Or a neck p-90 and a bridge bucker..Or...... B)

...and I will be going back and forth on this for a bit till I finally settle on something. Like I said, all the stuff I am selling will only get me part of the way there. So... I have quite a while.

My 1983 Ibanez V only lasted like 3 hours on eBay! B)

That's $400 in the fund! I have bids on my Pod and watchers on my other items.

Barry,

Suggest.... 535 with P-rails one with P90's works better for Grant Green tones than for rock but the way Heritage mounts P90s on a semi you could also put some buckers on.

Brents 170 was a super double cut version of a new model... basic 137 with a maple cap single or double cut. There was a good shot of that one in the Hertage booth at NAAM. You could do one of them with curly maple cap, P90's dots no bindings or MOP "the Heritage" which is what their show model sported.

Or you could get a millie or millie with P-rails without the fancy bindings and MOP. To my knowledge nobody has one with P90's

I know this is sacriligious and away from the point of this thread, but there is another brand/guitar I am looking at.

. Got Kent's for pickups.

Love that sound. Different than my Heritage, but it would work. A LOT MORE DRESSY than I want.

Think of a Heritage model that sounds like that all around?

Archived