Heritage Owners Club

Heritage headstock

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

I was talking to a guitarist/dealer in Nashville who is a Heritage fan. In the land of Gibson he says the biggest negative he hears all of the time about Heritage is the shape of the headstock. Often this is a dealbreaker.

Are guitarists this shallow? The answer is yes in many cases. This is because the guitar is much more than a musical instrument to them. It symbolizes status and wealth. It can be art. Owning one makes them in control of something beautiful or powerful or both. It can even be an object for love or friendship. Understanding this helps explain why that first ding in the guitar hurts as much as it does on a new car. This kind of bonding is less likely with a homely guitar.

Guitars are different in this regard than most other instruments. For example, no one names their drums or synthesizer, but many give their guitar a girl's name. BTW, have any of you named your guitar a guy's name? Probably not. That tells you that there's some psychosexual thing going on here. If you doubt it, look at Pete Townsend videos as he smashes his instrument. It is brutal overkill like that seen in the worst domestic homicide. But I digress.

I do believe Heritage could have tried a little harder on an elegant headstock. But it never really bothered me much.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never noticed it before. Looking at it now, I don't see anything wrong.

Don't name my guitars. I do as a joke but I don't seriously name them. The two I have names for are Blue Balls and Lulu. Why? One is blue and they other is a Gretsch sealed body and, in black, looks like a hillbilly Lucille. Lulu Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard was a hillbilly broad... so... Lulu.

Do I think they could have tried harder for their headstock? My answer is a question. For whom would they have tried harder? I am sure the headstock is exactly what they wanted as I am sure their mastery of luthiery would allow for them to make an elephant ear shaped headstock if they so wished. I know there are things I would do differently with a headstock if it it were my company but that is true for Gibson and many others too. The key part is the I and my and none of those apply to Heritage or any other guitar except for the individual instruments I own. That is true for all of us though. We all have our own sense of beauty. Funny enough, my headstock design is a marriage of Heritage and D'Angelico with a heavy lean to Heritage if you will accept that as a testimonial to my feelings for Heritage's headstock design.

This is what I think of Heritage headstocks.

Simple yet elegant (just look at the H157 and tell me different and I will call you a blind man)

HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL due to its smaller size and straighter string pull and break angle.

Does Gibby have this marriage simple elegance and functionality?

No. They don't. It's that simple.

The Heritage headstock, to the initiated, is a badge of honor. I will admit, when I first saw a Heritage headstock YEARS AGO, because of the rest of the guitar, it seemed strange because, even in the LP copies, they made an attempt to appear like the Gibby version. Heritage seemed to turn their nose up at this. They were saying, "We are not Gibby. We are a company built on the heritage we spent decades on for another company. We are that Heritage. We are Heritage."

Once I got comfortable with this notion, F*@# Gibby. Heritage all the way.

Badge of honor, my good man; badge of honor.

If heritage had done something weird like a Dean headstock I would be bitching but the current design works very well and looks good with a less is more aproach.

For those that are in the know....

The Heritage headstock is a status symbol.

It shows that you have the knowledge... and you understand.

maybe it helps a bit if you've visited guitar mecca in Kalamazoo...

but in any case, you are one of those that know and wear it like a badge of honor.

The headstock on a Heritage is functional and beautiful. Anyone who uses that as an excuse didn't want to buy the Heritage in the first place. Yes, the Heritage holds a place of honor in the guitar world. Built at 225 Parsons Street in Kalamazoo. The Holy Shrine of guitar factories.

Guest mgoetting
The headstock on a Heritage is functional and beautiful. Anyone who uses that as an excuse didn't want to buy the Heritage in the first place. Yes, the Heritage holds a place of honor in the guitar world. Built at 225 Parsons Street in Kalamazoo. The Holy Shrine of guitar factories.

I agree with the first part.

I happen to drive past the holy shrine every week. No one would know what they do there from the outside. It's very modest. I like that about the factory. It reflects the spirit of the company and the community in which it exists.

"The headstock on a Heritage is functional and beautiful. Anyone who uses that as an excuse didn't want to buy the Heritage in the first place."

That statement nails it. Heritage is its own company. They are not wannabees or into cloning other brands. They have taken classic designs and made them better where possible. Now several other brands are shaving their headstocks in the Heritage direction, but that is beside the point. The Heritage headstock stands tall.

I was talking to a guitarist/dealer in Nashville who is a Heritage fan. In the land of Gibson he says the biggest negative he hears all of the time about Heritage is the shape of the headstock. Often this is a dealbreaker.

Are guitarists this shallow? The answer is yes in many cases. This is because the guitar is much more than a musical instrument to them. It symbolizes status and wealth. It can be art. Owning one makes them in control of something beautiful or powerful or both. It can even be an object for love or friendship. Understanding this helps explain why that first ding in the guitar hurts as much as it does on a new car. This kind of bonding is less likely with a homely guitar.

Guitars are different in this regard than most other instruments. For example, no one names their drums or synthesizer, but many give their guitar a girl's name. BTW, have any of you named your guitar a guy's name? Probably not. That tells you that there's some psychosexual thing going on here. If you doubt it, look at Pete Townsend videos as he smashes his instrument. It is brutal overkill like that seen in the worst domestic homicide. But I digress.

I do believe Heritage could have tried a little harder on an elegant headstock. But it never really bothered me much.

Mark: Your observations and comments are extremely well thought out and stated . . . so was your snipe at Pete Townsend. Good for you. I'm impressed and I basically agree with everything you said So too with Barrymclarks comments. It's funny that you should mention a guitar palyer and dealer from the Nashville area. I'll tell you of a conversation I had with Jim Deurloo, President, Heritage Guitars when I was up at the plant a couple of weeks back;; We were standing near a rack of various model guitars with those head stocks staring up at us. I asked Jim if he realized how many more guitars they could sell if they redesigned the headstock to a more traditional (Gibson) like shape. He just smiled at me and said "Patrick, I got a call from George Gruhn of Gruhn Guitars. He said to me . . "Jim, I love your guitars but I'm tired of defending your headstock design. I njeed you to change it if I'm going to continue to sell them" to which I replied George, we love doing business with you, but that'as the Heritage headestock design and it will remain as such. Two weeks later, George Gruhn resigned his dealership" I was amazed at Jim's calmness when he told me that story. It reflected a total sense of being at peace with his decision . . . despite the obvious loss of business it has represented ober the years. I bought my first Hertitage guitar in 1994. I had to have one because my jazz teacher just bought one and it looked great (not withstanding the headstock) and sounded even better. So, I looked beyond the headstock at that time which I considered God awful ugly. I have since aquired many other Heritages . . . and I couldn't picture them with any other headstock design. Barrymclark and others on this forum consider it a "badge of honor". It is indeed that!! Jim & Marv and JP allowed their passion for their brand and the headstock design which immediately identifies it, to over rule their desire to cave in to customers attempts to change it. That speaks volumes to their dedication and emotional attachment to "The Heritage". Unfortunately, it is a huge blunder as it relates to recognizing and meeting market demands. The problem is, anyone who can bring themselves to look past their initial dislike of the headstock design eventually winds up loving it. But, too many sales are lost by those that would say "I ain't gonna buy no damn guitar with a headstock like that". The owners at Heritage recognize that and still stick to their guns. I do admire that. I also predict that eventually, that very same headstock design will be as synonymous to fine craftsmanship as the D'Angelico headstock is. To those of us in then know, it already is.

Here is a parallel:

1. You have people that complain about politics. They call the conservative talk shows or get on the liberal websites.... None of them really know what it is going on. They just know what they have heard.

2. Then... you have a handful of people that really DO spend a lot of time on politics and DO know what is going on. They initially try to save the world with their new found information... but after awhile, they just sit back and either roll their eyes at the ignorant masses bickering about who is more responsible for what and why this country is going to the crapper... or they just smile knowing that they know better and move on.

The Heritage initiated are that latter group.

Golfer, anyone who uses that as an excuse really wanted a new Gibson, but couldn't afford it.

The new Gibby's don't compare at all to those from the 50's - 60's, and this is where Heritage shines compared to all the LP wannabes.

Where else in the world can you get a fine quality LP, like those of yesteryear, without mortgaging the house? We see them everyday, usually for under $2K, here on the HOC forum, and on eBay, or from smart music shop dealers who understand quality over "headstock" and whose label is there.

Well, it's pretty sad, and sorta amusing, that he's "still" obsessing about this non-issue after 2 decades. Any normal person would've moved on long ago. He made an attempt to get Heritage to change the headstock to "his" design- for which he wanted some dough- 20 years ago & is apparently still carrying a grudge because they said no. I recall him cornering the Heritage boys at NAMM shows & "lecturing" them on this dead subject several times. It got so bad that they (and I) simply walked away mid lecture to go & attend to business. Heritage has told me "no" many times, regarding my own suggestions. You don't see me obsessing about those dumb stubborn bastards refusing my BRILLIANT (Earth Shaking) ideas........

I also recall this same fellow, who was on the Gibson Board at the time, telling me he had to RETURN 50% of the new Gibson's he received from them because of quality issues. Said it's EZ to return them because they're so close, but...................50%???

Get over it George. For the umteenth time....."they actually like their headstock."

Jay Wolfe, www.wolfeguitars.com

Well, it's pretty sad, and sorta amusing, that he's "still" obsessing about this non-issue after 2 decades. Any normal person would've moved on long ago. He made an attempt to get Heritage to change the headstock to "his" design- for which he wanted some dough- 20 years ago & is apparently still carrying a grudge because they said no. I recall him cornering the Heritage boys at NAMM shows & "lecturing" them on this dead subject several times. It got so bad that they (and I) simply walked away mid lecture to go & attend to business. Heritage has told me "no" many times, regarding my own suggestions. You don't see me obsessing about those dumb stubborn bastards refusing my BRILLIANT (Earth Shaking) ideas........

I also recall this same fellow, who was on the Gibson Board at the time, telling me he had to RETURN 50% of the new Gibson's he received from them because of quality issues. Said it's EZ to return them because they're so close, but...................50%???

Get over it George. For the umteenth time....."they actually like their headstock."

George has a picture of himself in his establishment holding an instrument with a headstock so ugly he should have put a bag over it before the picture was taken.

But you know Jay, you should quit being so shy and tell us what you really think about these complainers. :drink2_mini:

Hi Jay: I think you might have mis interpretted my comments about Jim's recollection of his conversation with George. (with all the typos in my post I'm surprised that you even got through it) I wasn't trying to say that George had recently revisited this with Jim. Jim was referencing the events of 2 decades ago, as you stated them to be. From a marketing stand point, Heritage needs to launch a complete marketing campaign around the headstock design itself. They need to take the dislike of that design and put it to work for them. I know their marketing funds are limited at best . . . but, just picture a full page add in Vintage Guitar magazine with a HUGE picture of a Golden Eagle or a Super Eagle headstock and some brief verbiage referencing the "Heritage" behind the brand. Follow that with a full page add the following month with a HUGE picture of an H 150 with a killer top . . . and some verbiage about the story behind the real builders of those immortal LPs of the late '50s and early '60s.

This topic has been discussed numerous times, with the same results.

At first, I wasn't fond of the headstock. It's not that I didn't like it, it was just...different.

But now, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I think it looks attractive!

I've been a member on several guitar-related forums, and almost every one of them complain about the headstock design of their particular brand.

But those of us who are Heritage fans/owners, we are smart enough to look past the marketing bullsh!t, and we buy the real deal.

Actually Patrick- I had not yet seen your remarks before I posted. In the scale of unattractive headstock's, I feel Heritage ranks well behind such "Homely" designs as: PRS (C'Mon...), Stromberg, Parker, ......and..................let's not leave out that awful Steinberger abomination!!! = :>)

I have a copy of Randy Johnson's excellent article in Just Jazz Guitar Mag on this subject. Being an Acoustical Engineer _ Player & thoughtful fellow, he went into the minutia of headstocks, and a couple of his conclusions were:

* Mass is not good. Large headstocks are "energy sinks" and absorb & dampen vibration & therefore sustain...(who knew?)

* Huge ostentatious headstocks are usually a (symbol (might've said "tribute to") of the builder's ego, and he referenced D'Angelico, Bigsby (OMG), Stromberg and a few others with way huge super ornate headstocks. Very amusing remark to be sure.

* He went on to muse that those wonderful old beauties perhaps would sound even better with smaller headstocks.

* He agree's with many in proclaiming the Loar 16" L5's as almost certainly the best performing archtops of all time- with their (Heritage sized) "snakehead" peghead. A theory I've discussed with Gruhn several times during his frequent whining about Heritage's (Top PERFORMING) peghead.

Hey- George is expert on MANY thins with strings, and Tropical Lizards as well, but we've disagreed about this a few times. he has my respect. This is all just fun.

Jay Wolfe

Actually Patrick- I had not yet seen your remarks before I posted. In the scale of unattractive headstock's, I feel Heritage ranks well behind such "Homely" designs as: PRS (C'Mon...), Stromberg, Parker, ......and..................let's not leave out that awful Steinberger abomination!!! = :>)

I have a copy of Randy Johnson's excellent article in Just Jazz Guitar Mag on this subject. Being an Acoustical Engineer _ Player & thoughtful fellow, he went into the minutia of headstocks, and a couple of his conclusions were:

* Mass is not good. Large headstocks are "energy sinks" and absorb & dampen vibration & therefore sustain...(who knew?)

* Huge ostentatious headstocks are usually a (symbol (might've said "tribute to") of the builder's ego, and he referenced D'Angelico, Bigsby (OMG), Stromberg and a few others with way huge super ornate headstocks. Very amusing remark to be sure.

* He went on to muse that those wonderful old beauties perhaps would sound even better with smaller headstocks.

* He agree's with many in proclaiming the Loar 16" L5's as almost certainly the best performing archtops of all time- with their (Heritage sized) "snakehead" peghead. A theory I've discussed with Gruhn several times during his frequent whining about Heritage's (Top PERFORMING) peghead.

Hey- George is expert on MANY thins with strings, and Tropical Lizards as well, but we've disagreed about this a few times. he has my respect. This is all just fun.

Jay Wolfe

A friend and fellow collector named Wayne Wesley "Wes" Johnson once put it best . . . "with guitar headstocks, its kind of like the penis . . . for the ego driven men amongst us . . . bigger is better.

This topic has been discussed numerous times, with the same results.

At first, I wasn't fond of the headstock. It's not that I didn't like it, it was just...different.

But now, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I think it looks attractive!

I've been a member on several guitar-related forums, and almost every one of them complain about the headstock design of their particular brand.

But those of us who are Heritage fans/owners, we are smart enough to look past the marketing bullsh!t, and we buy the real deal.

I think mgoetting originally posted this thread is a relatively new member. Isn't that the guy that started the firestorm over his boss, a guitar dealer, wanting to post his "private collection" on HOC??

I suppose evertime we get a new member this topic is going to come up. Personally, I like it when it comes up. The replys and reaffirmation of our ever increasing respect for the brand AND the head stock are always good to hear. We all have to do a better job of promoting this brand. Heritage Guitars must continue to grow and thrive.

"with guitar headstocks, its kind of like the penis . . . for the ego driven men amongst us . . . bigger is better.

How about the entire guitar? The "Wangcaster!"

penisguitar_2.jpg

How about the entire guitar? The "Wangcaster!"

penisguitar_2.jpg

LMAO . . . you gotta be shittin' me!!! I'm just going to assume that this is a female's guitar and that she's part of an all female band. Thundersteel . . . . . PLEASE tell me this isn't you're guitar. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrases . . . stroking the neck and tickling the frets.

Archived