Heritage Owners Club

Heritage headstock

Guest mgoetting

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, FINALLy a REAL player, a Heritage Endorsee, and someone we can all trust, just weighed in.

Vince, I LOVE your music, respect your opinion, and LOVE your taste in guitars.

You don't reply here often, but when you do people really listen.

Thanks for your opinions and what's going on with your recordings? Any new CDs due out?

Thanks,

John & all of HOC!

Hey John,

First of all thanks for your kind words about my music. I tell Ren and the guys up at the ZOO that if I sound good it is due to their hard work, and I mean that. I have a solo CD to be released shortly, and it was actually recorded in 1997 and been in the vault since then. O well...

You guys are the best community of guitarists that I know, and anything I can do for any member here I am always avaialable to you guys..

THANKS..Vince

I have a solo CD to be released shortly, and it was actually recorded in 1997 and been in the vault since then. O well...

You guys are the best community of guitarists that I know, and anything I can do for any member here I am always avaialable to you guys..

THANKS..Vince

Always great to hear from you on the forum, Vince! You give the rest of us some much needed cred! Please keep us posted regarding the CD; I'm sure a bunch of us would love to snag it!

Ihave been reading some of this thread and have vowed to not get involved in this latest incarnation but I can no longer resist. I'll add my own perspective to this subject but with nothing on business aspects related to Heritage the company that's been covered very well.

I played mostly electric guitar in the 70's, mainly older Gibsons and Fenders. Quit electric altogether around 1980 and only picked up an acoustic maybe a few times a year. Was stuck in a pretty lucrative corporate position that I was totally miserable doing.

Had my first kids (twins) in 2004, found that if they where crying, a little acoustic guitar seemed to help, I also figured it was good for their cognitive development etc etc.

The "guitar bug" bit me once again and I started playing much more frequently. Got to the point where I wanted to pick up electric again. Started looking at Gibsons and Fenders (all I knew) in 2006, the headstocks still looked good to me but the rest of the guitars did not strike me as what I recalled from back in the day. I was looking at $1000 strats that weren't much different feeling then the $100 Squires. The Gibsons where much more money and I didn't see any value there either. But once again, I liked the look of the head stocks as well as the rest of the guitars.

I looked around on the net and discovered Heritage and G&L as well as multiple other brands we didn't have back in the day. I narrowed down my search to Heritage and G&L. Their headstocks had me scratching my head a little at first bit but the feel / mojo / (fill in the blanks) called out to me and I never looked back.

From a purely selfish point of view, the fact that these guitars are still relatively undiscovered and or under the radar, enables those of us (I'm sure I'm not the only one) who love good quality at a low price point to acquire beautiful and highly functional guitars, especially on the used market, at very reasonable cost. That said, I honestly wish only the best for Heritage as a company but will leave the marketing / business administration debate to others here.

Heritage and G&L, irregardless of headstocks, remind me of the old Gibsons and Fenders of my youth and I purchase guitars to play them although I understand that aesthetics are also a part of the equation.

By the way, the headstocks look fine to me now. I have a 157 with the bound / diamond headstock that is actually awesome looking to me. I saw a G&L on e bay a while back, someone had shaved the headstock carve to resemble a Fender. It just looked wrong to me. With all this gnashing of teeth over headstocks seems to me that there may be a business opportunity available for someone to open up a headstock modification business...have wings glued to your headstock...but none for me thanks.

Ihave been reading some of this thread and have vowed to not get involved in this latest incarnation but I can no longer resist. I'll add my own perspective to this subject but with nothing on business aspects related to Heritage the company that's been covered very well.

I played mostly electric guitar in the 70's, mainly older Gibsons and Fenders. Quit electric altogether around 1980 and only picked up an acoustic maybe a few times a year. Was stuck in a pretty lucrative corporate position that I was totally miserable doing.

Had my first kids (twins) in 2004, found that if they where crying, a little acoustic guitar seemed to help, I also figured it was good for their cognitive development etc etc.

The "guitar bug" bit me once again and I started playing much more frequently. Got to the point where I wanted to pick up electric again. Started looking at Gibsons and Fenders (all I knew) in 2006, the headstocks still looked good to me but the rest of the guitars did not strike me as what I recalled from back in the day. I was looking at $1000 strats that weren't much different feeling then the $100 Squires. The Gibsons where much more money and I didn't see any value there either. But once again, I liked the look of the head stocks as well as the rest of the guitars.

I looked around on the net and discovered Heritage and G&L as well as multiple other brands we didn't have back in the day. I narrowed down my search to Heritage and G&L. Their headstocks had me scratching my head a little at first bit but the feel / mojo / (fill in the blanks) called out to me and I never looked back.

From a purely selfish point of view, the fact that these guitars are still relatively undiscovered and or under the radar, enables those of us (I'm sure I'm not the only one) who love good quality at a low price point to acquire beautiful and highly functional guitars, especially on the used market, at very reasonable cost. That said, I honestly wish only the best for Heritage as a company but will leave the marketing / business administration debate to others here.

Heritage and G&L, irregardless of headstocks, remind me of the old Gibsons and Fenders of my youth and I purchase guitars to play them although I understand that aesthetics are also a part of the equation.

By the way, the headstocks look fine to me now. I have a 157 with the bound / diamond headstock that is actually awesome looking to me. I saw a G&L on e bay a while back, someone had shaved the headstock carve to resemble a Fender. It just looked wrong to me. With all this gnashing of teeth over headstocks seems to me that there may be a business opportunity available for someone to open up a headstock modification business...have wings glued to your headstock...but none for me thanks.

Hi Hfan:

I think you pretty much captured the feelings of most of us as it relates to the different opinions on the Heritage head stocks, not withstanding the business related discussion. It seems that to anyone other than those who are totally indifferent to the shape and look of the head stock, the feelings go from;; OMG . . . what were they thinkg? . . . to;; well I really don't think I can live with that head stock, but I love the guitar . . . to;; I'm going to buy the guitar, even though it's not going to be my favorite headstock . . . then after a while of playing and scrutinizing your new and first Heritage with the snake head like head stock . . . it soon becomes;; hey!! this head stock isn't so bad after all . . . infact, it's pretty cool. Then you love the guitar so much you start to seek out another . . . with the same head stock. After you've acquired a few, you get to the point where your opinion is that a Gibson like head stock would do the Heritage a great injustice. It does in deed, as some here have put it, become a badge of honor. As I'm typing here, I just turned to take a look at the head stocks on my Super Eagles and my Golden Eagles, just for a reaffirmation of what I've just typed . . . they're beautiful!!!! They're sitting amongst Gibson, D'Angelico, Guild Artist Award and Unity head stocks. They fit right in . . . they belong . . . and theyare equally as impressive and beautiful.

I just don't believe that any change to the headstock would cause a sudden increase in orders... there is no problem to fix.

And we are interested in maintaining our identity.

The next thing after that would be a demand to change the shape of the cutaway, and then to quit using real MOP, and why does it have to be nitro... and why do you have to make the necks by hand.. and the logo is hard to read from a distance.. and what about the tendon length...and why is the binding so thick.. .....

In the meantime, our boys and girls in Kalamazoo quietly and without fanfare continue to make the finest Handmade instruments ... no changes necessary here. It's good to be King.

I just don't believe that any change to the headstock would cause a sudden increase in orders... there is no problem to fix.

The next thing after that would be a demand to change the shape of the cutaway, and then to quit using real MOP, and why does it have to be nitro... and why do you have to make the necks by hand.. and the logo is hard to read from a distance.. and what about the tendon length...and why is the binding so thick.. .....

In the meantime, our boys and girls in Kalamazoo quietly and without fanfare continue to make the finest Handmade instruments ... no changes necessary here. It's good to be King.

I do have a serious problem with the angle of the split in the split-block inlays. I just can't in good conscience buy a Heritage until they adjust it. Part of why I am so repulsed by Brent's new acoustic. :P

Here, Here, +10000000000

Guest mgoetting
I do have a serious problem with the angle of the split in the split-block inlays. I just can't in good conscience buy a Heritage until they adjust it. Part of why I am so repulsed by Brent's new acoustic. :P

You're repulsed because you don't have the guitar. So am I.

You're repulsed because you don't have the guitar. So am I.

I am thinking that I have a much strong stomach than Brent. So... if he will send it to me (at his cost, of course), I will dispose of it properly. I will play it until it is cinder. That is the sacrifice I am willing to make.

OK, I really didn't want to get into this but when I saw that the debate is still going on, I couldn't resist any longer.

Here are my thoughts and purely my thoughts about the discussion.

Once again and for all: nobody wants to change the headstock! NOBODY!!!

The headstock is a trademark and if they would change it, they would change their identy.

I really like the Heritage headstock. I think it's a great extension to the neck and suits the guitar very well.

So no problem with the headstock. But I do believe (like Patrick) that Heritage needs to be more present if they wanna survive on the market.

Everybody is used to the Gibson design, because it's the most famous design and it became a mass production guitar.

So you see it everywhere: in guitar magazines, on stage, in music stores, etc.

But where do you see Heritage guitars?

I am from Germany and I know one store who sells Heritage guitars. It's the Heritage authorized dealer: Realguitars near Cologne.

So only one store for Germany. And I can tell you right away most people I met have never heard of Heritage.

Usually it goes like this: "Oh another LP copy!" My answer: "It's not a copy!" After that I give a quick lesson about Heritage and their history.

But the winner is to let them play my beauty. That really convinced everybody so far.

I regularly read several guitar magazines. But I have never seen an ad or read something about Heritage.

Even the chimney of the plant in Kalamazoo still says 'Gibson'. take a look

So they could survive for 25 years now. But honestly I think if they don't start to do some marketing they won't survive another 25.

They reason we're saying (e.g. Patrick) this, is the hope to wake the ghosts of Kalamazoo and to let the world know what great guitars they built.

I am not saying they need to start mass production like Gibson. Hell not!!!! They need and should continue to built guitars just like they do now.

But they need knew customers and nowadays with our fincial crisis nobody can survive on the long run when the word is only spread from mouth to mouth.

'Just imagine a place where guitars are built like in the old days by the same luthiers. It's not a dream. It's Heritage guitars, Kalamazoo, Michigan.'

That's the message they need to bring to the world!

I really do think they need to start some marketing to survive.

And the factory survival should be in our all interest.

Maybe some of you now say: "Everything is fine and perfect. They built great guitars and I don't want it any other way."

I don't want it any other way either. But we have to admit that we live in the year 2010. And they need to adopt to that fact in some way.

So enough said. I feel a huge urge to play my Heritage now!!!!

Guido

But they need knew customers and nowadays with our fincial crisis nobody can survive on the long run when the word is only spread from mouth to mouth.

'Just imagine a place where guitars are built like in the old days by the same luthiers. It's not a dream. It's Heritage guitars, Kalamazoo, Michigan.'

That's the message they need to bring to the world!

I really do think they need to start some marketing to survive.

And the factory survival should be in our all interest.

Somebody here mocked up some wonderful ads along those same lines. Last I heard, Heritage was not interested.

All indications from 'insiders' who post here is that Heritage guitars are perfectly happy right were they are.

It's really us fanatics who have to accept that. :D

Somebody here mocked up some wonderful ads along those same lines. Last I heard, Heritage was not interested.

All indications from 'insiders' who post here is that Heritage guitars are perfectly happy right were they are.

It's really us fanatics who have to accept that. :D

ANYBODY . . . . who believes that Heritage .. . vis-a-vis . . Jim Deurloo, Marv Lam & Vince Margol are perfectly hapy right where they are needs to talk with them. Especially those with the more personal relationships, where the ownwers will be more comfortable in expressing their true feelings. As I have stated here before, Heritage in certainly NOT in jeopardy of closing its doors. But the owners recognize a true need for increased sales and revenues . . . . and they want to increase their sales.

ANYBODY . . . . who believes that Heritage .. . vis-a-vis . . Jim Deurloo, Marv Lam & Vince Margol are perfectly hapy right where they are needs to talk with them. Especially those with the more personal relationships, where the ownwers will be more comfortable in expressing their true feelings. As I have stated here before, Heritage in certainly NOT in jeopardy of closing its doors. But the owners recognize a true need for increased sales and revenues . . . . and they want to increase their sales.

OK. So what are they doing about it?

I believe many of us here do more than our fair share to promote Heritage guitars online and in our own communities (ie through gigs, jams, etc). We also buy their guitars!

What else are we supposed to do? :D

Here is the link to the ads I was referring to:

Heritage ads

The ad with the slogan, "These are the machines we use to make your guitar" is about as cool as it gets imo.

Seriously, what other company has paying customers designing professional quality ad campaigns for them for free?!

Here is the link to the ads I was referring to:

Heritage ads

The ad with the slogan, "These are the machines we use to make your guitar" is about as cool as it gets imo.

Seriously, what other company has paying customers designing professional quality ad campaigns for them for free?!

GREAT ads!! This is the type of pull through marketing they are lacking. These ads will sell guitars. The question is, can Heritage budget the funds necessary to get the ads in front of the players? I believe that they blow their whole marketing budget on NAMM. There is no question, they MUST be at NAMM every year. If they skip just 1 year, the rumor mill will start and the word on the street will be "Heritage wasn't at NAMM this year, they must be going under." For now, let's all start to take our best peices and visit 1 or 2 shops in our respective areas and tell the Heritage story. It's all about the exposure . . . . and word of mouth.

Complain or complement now, one day these guitars and their headstocks will be revered as classic, so hang on to them.

Can this forum be used to discuss more important issues than headstocks. What defines a great guitar is sound, tone, sustain, open string vibration, note separation. Can we leave out comments about what you had for dinner, grappa etc. Who cares. Talk about things you can change: quality control, hardware (ie tone pro), bone nuts,new colors, all wood 535s. To be critical of a maker's headstock--it's his or their signature--is disrespectful. See anyone critical of Heritage tone, sustain, playability, necks. One of the most attractive guitars on the planet--a Sweet 16--especially the headstock and fretboard, the proportions of the entire instrument. Don't like the headstock, go buy a Gibson. You won't ever afford good wine and grappa again.

Can this forum be used to discuss more important issues than headstocks. What defines a great guitar is sound, tone, sustain, open string vibration, note separation. Can we leave out comments about what you had for dinner, grappa etc. Who cares. Talk about things you can change: quality control, hardware (ie tone pro), bone nuts,new colors, all wood 535s. To be critical of a maker's headstock--it's his or their signature--is disrespectful. See anyone critical of Heritage tone, sustain, playability, necks. One of the most attractive guitars on the planet--a Sweet 16--especially the headstock and fretboard, the proportions of the entire instrument. Don't like the headstock, go buy a Gibson. You won't ever afford good wine and grappa again.

It's surprising that you would chose to direct your hostile and senseless rant towards me. Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties?? I didn't start this thread . . . and I suggested more than once that I was surprised it was lasting so long. Well over 150 posts, yet you believe that we should discuss more important issues. If you took the time to read any of my posts, you would have seen that I was never critical of anyones head stock, as you suggest. I only agreed with the others who stated that they are an issue to some who are considering buying a Heritage. I have stated that I originally found them to be not to my liking, then eventually fell in love with them and have grown to agree with those who consider them to be a Badge of Honor. If you would like, maybe we should run all of our posts by you first to see if they fit your criteria for being worthy of this forum. If you're tired of what is posted on this thread, then stop opening it!

Guest mgoetting
Can this forum be used to discuss more important issues than headstocks.

Well, not always! There's a long string ending with Barbara Eden pics today, for example.

I think we're letting off steam or waxing philosophical much of the time.

Well, not always! There's a long string ending with Barbara Eden pics today, for example.

I think we're letting off steam or waxing philosophical much of the time.

Yeah . . . . I LOVE Barbara Eden's Head Stocks!!! Both of them!!!

Archived