Heritage Owners Club

Heritage headstock

Guest mgoetting

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've said before, I love the Heritage headstock. I love the way the guitars look and play...I love the building they're made in...I love the tone. For those who think that Heritage should change the headstock, please put your CAD skills to good use and post your creation here for all of us to criti...I mean look at. ;) The bottom line is that there is a limit to the number of guitars Heritage can make in their current location and I think they're fine with that. Like every business in this current economic situation they would like to sell a few more but for most of their existence they've sold every guitar they can make.

Whew!! I finally got through this entire thread, as well as the 8 pager referenced earlier, and I gotta say it's been quite a "spirited" conversation! I'm relatively new here, and just got my first Heritage (used H535) a couple of months ago. I own 15 to 20 guitars, Fenders, Gibsons, Reverend, Epiphones, and now Heritage. I have seen Heritages in shops (rarely) since I got into guitars, and always passed over them for a couple of reasons; price was, of course, a consideration, but also, the lack of my recognition of, and marketing-induced disdain for the headstock. Once, I asked a shop-owner I respected to "let me see that 335 copy," a Heritage H535, behind the counter. This funny, older shop owner had done some business before, with me buying and selling some old pianos from/to him, so I considered him a buddy, despite our age difference. I also always gave him my full respect, in part for his knowledge of the music business, and in part because I knew that he always carried a 9 MM pistol under his shop apron!! haha. His face clouded over with almost anger as he said, "Now listen, boy, you can see it, but you gotta understand something...." He then went on to explain the origins of Heritage to me. When I played it, I gotta admit I was not a great player (not that I'm there yet, either, LOL) and I was a little intimidated by his rebuke, I wasn't to the point of dropping nearly $2000 on ANY instrument, AND, to my shame, my "drinking of the kool-aid" so to speak, that Fender and Gibson were the "real" guitars out there. I always kept the interesting story in the back of my mind, though. Eventually, the stars aligned, I got onto this forum, having found it from TGP, and got my first of hopefully several Heritages. Quick, think of a running shoe; Nike, right? Fast food? McDonalds. For some of you who've been around awhile, "Winston tastes good..." Like a cigarette should, right?! It's called top of mind awareness. It's hard not to succumb to the BILLIONS of $$ being spent on advertising the big brands. As mentioned, Heritage couldn't keep up with that kind of demand anyway. However, more people in the demographic that can afford and appreciate the quality of a Heritage NEED to find out about it SOMEHOW!! I don't think it's through glossy magazine ads; you are paying too much to have too many 14 year old Guitar Center wankers see the add. Find a way to market to the higher income, over 40, jazzer/rocker/ humbucker or P90 crowd. I think word of mouth and getting the guitars into more small dealers showrooms is the key. I don't know the dealer requirements to carry Heritage, but I gotta think that more Mom and Pop's could/should carry it than do. Put the guitar in the prospective customer's hands; let the guitar do the talking.

HE GETS IT!!!!!

Guest mgoetting
Doesn't the guy who started this thread own a Steinberger...? That would be funny!

One of my favorite guitars is my Hohner G3T, which is basically a Steinberger. I admitted that about half way through this long string of posts. And, yes, it is funny.

I got my Hohner for practicing while traveling, kinda like a fretboard on a post. It was over 15 years old but in good shape. The pups had been replaced with 3 SDs. And the humbucker was coil tapped.

The neck feels great and it sounds decent amplified, but not like a Heritage. I keep it propped against my wall next to the TV. I can play it in a second and it makes almost no sound acoustic, so no one complains when I practice.

I'm selling my Steinberger Synapse on ebay right now. For something completely different, check it out. It's a clever set of concepts but not my cup of tea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=STRK:MESELX:IT

I just got done with a wonderful dinner .. . . . . a lot of great Italian wine, followed by some great Italian Grappa. I come back to this thread . . . . and I'm agast to see that some still think it's about the headstock. I'm pretty drunk right now . . . . . but I'm also pretty sure that I'm just about done with this topic. Many of you will be very pleased to read that. That's OK . . . . I still love and respect you all . . . . (OK, maybe love is a little over the top) . . . . but I still respect you all as Heritage lovers. If I thought I could go and play one of my beautiful Heritage guitars right now with out hurting it I would do so. But just to play it safe . . . . I'll just go and have another grappa instead. For tomorrow . . . . I'm thinking . . . . major head ache!!! I'm not real good at this "drunk" stuff. Hasta La Vista . . . . . BABY!!!!

I sincerely hope you make it to PSPIII, Patrick.

I'm gonna try like hell Dick. They're building me a pretty special Golden Eagle . . . . and I hope to be able to pick it up in August and jam with you guys. Although, I must warn you . . . . I argue/debate much better than I play guitar.

Guest mgoetting
I just got done with a wonderful dinner .. . . . . a lot of great Italian wine, followed by some great Italian Grappa. I come back to this thread . . . . and I'm agast to see that some still think it's about the headstock. I'm pretty drunk right now . . . . . but I'm also pretty sure that I'm just about done with this topic. Many of you will be very pleased to read that. That's OK . . . . I still love and respect you all . . . . (OK, maybe love is a little over the top) . . . . but I still respect you all as Heritage lovers. If I thought I could go and play one of my beautiful Heritage guitars right now with out hurting it I would do so. But just to play it safe . . . . I'll just go and have another grappa instead. For tomorrow . . . . I'm thinking . . . . major head ache!!! I'm not real good at this "drunk" stuff. Hasta La Vista . . . . . BABY!!!!

Patrick, you are heard loud and clear.

Let me summarize:

Headstock angst + wine = headache tomorrow

Get some rest.

One incorrect assumption that I see over and over is that if you don't particularly care for the Heritage headstock design, then it is because you are hung up on G design and so go over and F'ing buy a G guitar, you superficial brand whore. C'mon, you know it ain't that simple.

There are numerous headstock designs that sit aloft some absolutely incredible guitars that I don't particularly like the aesthetics of. I love Heritage guitars, but I really am not too fond of the design aesthetic of the headstock. Now, you don't have to take that personal or like you have to defend the company's good name because of it. I can say that I am not fond of the design and mean it and yet still not want a G guitar. Really, I don't. Give more credit to those that have limited appreciation for the heritage headstock design but that still appreciate the guitars, the company, the quality, without even giving two thoughts of the headstock design of the G company from which they sprang.

Any car will get you from here to there. Yet most buyers do consider even the small aspects of the design elements of a car when they buy. People are naturally inclined to pleasing aesthetics and not everything is simply utility. Almost everyone has choices of a quality guitar, so selecting based on small design elements is only natural. Which is the opposite of what some seem to suggest. To reinforce the point, not particularly liking the Heritage headstock does not inherently mean you wish it had a G headstock. I don't particularly like th Tyler headstock design, but I never though to myself I wished it looked like a Fender headstock.

Well, it's pretty sad, and sorta amusing, that he's "still" obsessing about this non-issue after 2 decades. Any normal person would've moved on long ago. He made an attempt to get Heritage to change the headstock to "his" design- for which he wanted some dough- 20 years ago & is apparently still carrying a grudge because they said no. I recall him cornering the Heritage boys at NAMM shows & "lecturing" them on this dead subject several times. It got so bad that they (and I) simply walked away mid lecture to go & attend to business. Heritage has told me "no" many times, regarding my own suggestions. You don't see me obsessing about those dumb stubborn bastards refusing my BRILLIANT (Earth Shaking) ideas........

I also recall this same fellow, who was on the Gibson Board at the time, telling me he had to RETURN 50% of the new Gibson's he received from them because of quality issues. Said it's EZ to return them because they're so close, but...................50%???

Get over it George. For the umteenth time....."they actually like their headstock."

Jay Wolfe, www.wolfeguitars.com

Good going Jay...If you remember the first Heritage you showed me I remaked about the differnt headstock, and quickly grew to appreciate it both in functionality and design. It just tops off the finest instruments that I have ever owned, and after 19 years this Sept as a PROUD and devoted Heritage Artist I love the look each time I open one of my 6 Heritage cases...

Some folks just love to pick at things and try to find thiongs wrong with competitors...Sad really...

Vince

Good going Jay...If you remember the first Heritage you showed me I remaked about the differnt headstock, and quickly grew to appreciate it both in functionality and design. It just tops off the finest instruments that I have ever owned, and after 19 years this Sept as a PROUD and devoted Heritage Artist I love the look each time I open one of my 6 Heritage cases...

Some folks just love to pick at things and try to find thiongs wrong with competitors...Sad really...

Vince

OK, FINALLy a REAL player, a Heritage Endorsee, and someone we can all trust, just weighed in.

Vince, I LOVE your music, respect your opinion, and LOVE your taste in guitars.

You don't reply here often, but when you do people really listen.

Thanks for your opinions and what's going on with your recordings? Any new CDs due out?

Thanks,

John & all of HOC!

Is it that time again already?

I don't play the headstocks.

+1000000 ROFL!!! ;)

What ever do you mean I think the heritage head stocks are fine

P1010042-1.jpg

med_gallery_463_156_361457.jpg

med_gallery_1625_186_1288991.jpg

gallery_2097_225_6835.jpg

med_gallery_1051_3_378793.jpg

med_gallery_139_176_14961.jpg

med_gallery_139_43_5226.jpg

Just saying!!

Love that Black firebird looking thingy!!

Guest mgoetting

I think I figured this headstock dilemma out, in a Freudian psychosexual way.

Some guys see their guitars as an extension of a certain body organ (just look at old Chuck Berry videos for early evidence). The smaller headstock evokes primal castration anxiety. While they cannot identify the source of their feelings, they know that they could never be comfortable with a Heritage headstock.

Then there are the rest of us who moved on in our development by our third birthday.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah , that Kenny Burrell headstock is a beauty...

And BigBob comes through with a cool variety of Heritage headstocks through the years . Nice.

OH.. and I see Brent has now included his new beauty . Awesome....

Archived