Heritage Owners Club

Found a new H525 at great price.....look at these and let me know

jazzalicious

Hey guys. Found a new H525 at a great price, and got pics from dealer. My luthier looked at them and claims that the f-holes are slightly out of proportion. A bit too large for the body. I kind of see what he's saying, but look at them and let me know your thoughts.

They seem to start normal, but then get a bit too wide as they approach the center/widest part of the f-hole.

Do you see this too? Do you think that would affect tone/sound/volume?

He also thinks it is not new, although dealer says it is. He (my luthier) noticed a lot of build up of dirt etc. on board around 5-7th frets, and sees little scratches etc. Strings also seems to have some discoloration which could mean it's been played.

I personally don't care about that stuff, as...a guitar is supposed to be played.

What y'all think?

There is a part 2 to this, as I can't upload any more in this post. So the pics of the board are coming.

Jazzalicious

post-122-1278497912_thumb.jpg

Hey guys. Found a new H525 at a great price, and got pics from dealer. My luthier looked at them and claims that the f-holes are slightly out of proportion. A bit too large for the body. I kind of see what he's saying, but look at them and let me know your thoughts.

They seem to start normal, but then get a bit too wide as they approach the center/widest part of the f-hole.

Do you see this too? Do you think that would affect tone/sound/volume?

He also thinks it is not new, although dealer says it is. He (my luthier) noticed a lot of build up of dirt etc. on board around 5-7th frets, and sees little scratches etc. Strings also seems to have some discoloration which could mean it's been played.

I personally don't care about that stuff, as...a guitar is supposed to be played.

What y'all think?

There is a part 2 to this, as I can't upload any more in this post. So the pics of the board are coming.

Jazzalicious

I think I'm gonna go for it regardless, but give me your thoughts.

thanks

post-122-1278498333_thumb.jpg

If you like it, it plays well and you can afford it then what more justification do you need? ;)

I can't try it before, as I live in Montreal, and the dealer is in U.S.

Like most of my guitars, gotta go on blind trust, and instinct.

I've been lucky in that respect. My Golden Eagle was great, just not the body size I liked, my PRS is great (but not a Heritage!!).

My 575 MH, a keeper, and my favorite.

Thinking very seriously about taking the leap.

Jazzalicious

p.s.

here's the back

post-122-1278500327_thumb.jpg

Here's mine below to maybe compare to the fhole size. Not sure that I see what you're referring to... Heritage has commented that their fholes are larger than G's on the semis to get a certain voicing and I'd guess that all Heritage fhole dimensions are similar to one another.

Hope it works out for ya!

heritagehoc003.jpg

I say it's angle and depth of field on the picture. The F-holes are cut on a jig. So far as the grime ... maybe the dealer let a lot of people with grimey hands handle it. ;)

jazzalicious are you the one that posted on CraigsList in N.Y., Miami, Portland, San Fran. and Denver? If not, keep your cards close to your breast 'cause you're not the only one Wabbit Hunting for the elusive 525.

Should this particular model be within 1 hour from my abode, I'd be willing to inspect it for you. Looking at your photos, I'd rest assured that it is a 525. If you find her attractive, I'd say - Go for it!

Keep us abreast; won't you?

Guest mgoetting
If you like it, it plays well and you can afford it then what more justification do you need? ;)

I say just buy it so you can get on with your life! I'm serious.

Hi,'jazzalicious'

Does your luthier friend wear 'Bottle Bottom' spectacled ? The 'F' holes are prominent,but they look great to me,very similar to my H575,and the guitar has P90's! How can you question this beauty.It's like saying Julie Robert's mouths too big ! Get your wallet out.

Peter Alton Green.

Ha... good one Peter.

That 525 has a sexy finish... and I think that it is the pic that makes the f holes look larger.

Consider all of your options, jazz, as this one will be a keeper. Get lots of pics.

Guest mgoetting
I would ask about burn marks where it's been hanging on the wall. Especially if it's been there long.

And make sure the stinger is straight!

jazzalicious are you the one that posted on CraigsList in N.Y., Miami, Portland, San Fran. and Denver? If not, keep your cards close to your breast 'cause you're not the only one Wabbit Hunting for the elusive 525.

Should this particular model be within 1 hour from my abode, I'd be willing to inspect it for you. Looking at your photos, I'd rest assured that it is a 525. If you find her attractive, I'd say - Go for it!

Keep us abreast; won't you?

He said ABREAST!!! :thumbsup:

The F-Holes look the same as mine as far as I can tell from that pic. :thumbsup:

I've seen reference to the size of Heritage fholes other spots ("can drive a truck thru them f-holes...") since they're larger than gibson/other makers. By design as Ren says they selected the size for voicing.

I've seen reference to the size of Heritage fholes other spots ("can drive a truck thru them f-holes...") since they're larger than gibson/other makers. By design as Ren says they selected the size for voicing.

They have to make 'em bigger cause guys who play Heritage guitars have more soul. If the F holes were smaller, our guitars would explode! :thumbsup:

He said ABREAST!!! :clapping_mini:

Titillating, eh?

Next to clusterf()(%, it a personal favorite :thumbsup:

If your luthier is going by those pics well ..... there's your problem.

The first shot is taken from slightly below with flash, which has lit up the inside of the guitar and exaggerated the f-holes. It also looks like there is a slight fish eye effect making the guitar look bulged, further exaggerating the f-holes.

In my opinion of course ... :thumbsup:

h525.jpg

If I found one of those at the right price I would be very tempted !

What y'all think?

Is your luthier not aware that guitars, hanging in guitar shops, are played on occasion? In December I picked up a 157 Black Beauty at a local shop for a song. It was technically new, as no one had ever owned it before, but it had been on display in the shop for five years. Yes there are scratches and a few dings on it because over the course of five years, a lot of people had tried it out.

eric

Guest mgoetting
Is your luthier not aware that guitars, hanging in guitar shops, are played on occasion? In December I picked up a 157 Black Beauty at a local shop for a song. It was technically new, as no one had ever owned it before, but it had been on display in the shop for five years. Yes there are scratches and a few dings on it because over the course of five years, a lot of people had tried it out.

eric

I agree with you Eric.

Some people are just nuts. I've seen customers argue for unreasonable discounts because there are pick scratches on the pickguard. Yet these same people put scratches on guitars trying them out.

My luthier looked at them and claims that the f-holes are slightly out of proportion. A bit too large for the body.

The solution is just to make a larger body to match the f holes... problem solved

gallery_1051_3_36720.jpg

eric

As long as the dealer was charging the 5 year old price I wouldn't have a problem with it. If he was asking new guitar prices than I'd expect a new guitar but that's just me.

That one's a honey! Don't own one, but I've played John's (Kuz). They sound fabulous! Just about nothing one can't squeeze out of one! Kenny's observation regarding the "burn" from the hanger is a good point! Want one? Get one! It's a short, short life!

Archived