Heritage Owners Club

Amp Build #2 is done

kbp810

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, so thought i'd share the final product... The amp itself was finished a short while back, but finally finished up the combo cab just a short while ago and it is now good to go!

- just in case anyone wants to see it's build progression, I was posting updates along the way over at the Round Table

http://fenderavenue.com/Forum/tabid/55/for...ts/Default.aspx

It's around 20 watts, 2 6v6, 3 12ax7, GZ34 rectifier, classic and modern preamp modes, bright and dark tone controls, negative feedback loop standby switch, and of course the standard TMB tone stack. (Followed Cliff Chappell's October design)

The cabinet is cedar, trimmed with walnut, and casters/wheels on the bottom to help make it a little easier to move around (good thing too... loaded up it's a tad heavy). 2x12 with a Celestion V30 ceramic (Thanks again Tim!) and a Eminence Canis Major Hempcone Alnico.

By the time it all came together it was a bit late here but couldn't help but turn it and give it a go. First thoughts... wow can this thing get loud! Seems like this has the ability to get much much louder than any other 20 watter I've ever played or owned personally. About 1/4 turn on the volume seems to be about the max I'll be able to get away with for home play (and that even might be pushing it a bit...). Just for kicks I turned it half way and played a few really quick chords and was really impressed - it was the kind of tone you can both hear and feel, and it sounded and felt great! 1/2 was right around angry neighbor level so that was very short lived... Back around 1/4 on classic mode it is loud, bright, clean, and clear; on modern there was a nice little touch of grit added in, but not much distortion at this volume level (of course, I'm sure I could probably coax some out if I had turned the guitar volume way down and upped the amp a little more).

I still have a lot more playing around to do with it, as well as recording a few clips to share, but that will have to wait until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile here is a picture of the finished amp, along with a picture of it sitting next to it's little brother: (for anyone who was wondering, the broken blinds were made by my dog... that's his "neighborhood watch" spot)

08960a65.jpg

db5d8b5f.jpg

I know people that can do one or the other; electronics or wood. You sir are the first I've seen to do both, competently. Very nice. Thanks for sharring.

When does the guitar build begin?

that is pretty cool...you are bringing that to PSP, yes?

Yep, it will be making the trip!

I tried to make a few sound clips today, but I've been fighting with my Zoom H2... it's either clipping really bad, or barely picking up any sound at all. I've had to fuss with it on clips before, but nothing like this! I think it might be on the fritz..... mic on high or medium is clipping terribly no matter what volume I set the amp on... and low picks hardly anything up at all - it's set on Front, 2 channel, maybe I'll try setting it on rear and try again in a little bit?

Thanks for all the kind comments!

I have considered trying a guitar build... but I'm not sure if my hands are quite skilled enough to attempt something that would require such precesion and accuracy as that of an instrument; as in I'm sure I could make one that looked good, but would it sound proper and be/remain functional? The cabinets I've made look good, but up close you can tell they were not done by someone who builds them for a living :thumbsup:

Archived