Heritage Owners Club

Heavy 150!!!

JeffB

Hey there.

Bought my first Heritage a month ago. A chestnut 150 classic.

Love the tone and feel. Some kinda vibe going on :)

Did my 1st gig with it just recently and loved how it made me play and sound 8)

But.......

By the third bracket I was worn out. This thing is heavy. :o Real heavy ???

I know I chose it. :rolleyes:

It was the best sounding and playing single cut guitar I found out of a lot of guitars from various US makers.

Is weighty guitars common to Heritage guitars?

All the ones Ive tried seem fairly substantial in that department.

Im not bagging the guitars. I can see, hear and feel the quality.

I was just curious if this was the norm for Heritage.

Cheers

Tully

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel your pain my friend.  I had a 150 once as well, but due to the weight (and the fact that the seller lied about the condition and the electronics were all screwed up) i let it go.

I only do 140s and 170s now...lot less weight and all the tone...IMO

i hope you keep your Heritage, they are great guitars...but you cant be forced to keep something that is gonna give you back surgery either... :-

if you want to try a different taste, pick up a H 140 or a H 170 and see what you think?

I think some of the early Heritages were on the heavy side.

But my recent 150 is hollowed out, and it seems to be almost as heavy as my 10 lb LP!

On the other hand, my other 150 seems real light--and it's not hollowed out.  Go figure.

It was the 140 that got me interested in Heritage guitars. I tried 3 but it was the 150 that said take me home >:D

What makes it worse is I have a work related lower back injury and have spent the last 3yrs making my gear lighter and more manageable. Even to the point of getting a new wagon for ease of loading/unloading.

I wont sell the 150 on. But I dont think Ill be using it all night in the future :(

I knew it was heavy but was so taken by it I didnt think much past owning it ;D

150's, like their Mahogany/Maple LP brothers can be heavy, but not all of them are boat anchors.  Both my H150CM Ultra and H157 triple-p'up are 'only' 9 lbs. each and have incredible tone and sustain.  Neither of them are chambered or weight-relieved.

Maybe I got lucky on these two used purchases, but I asked the respective sellers about the exact weight of these gits in advance and made it clear that anything at or over 10 lbs would be a deal breaker...to avoid a future back breaker.

Checking the weight of a potential 150/157 purchase is an important consideration. 

My only suggestion is to bring a lighter weight back-up guitar to give you some relief during gigs.   

Tully, I can relate.  I have a pretty heavy Paul I love to play, but works the back over.  You've probably already tried a very wide, padded strap to distribute the weight over more shoulder, right?  And I take a cheap, unobtrusive, light stool to gigs.  When appropriate, I'll do a couple of numbers, sitting back, next to the drummer, just chunking rhythm, staying out of the way.

Hey there.

Love the tone and feel. Some kinda vibe going on :)

By the third bracket I was worn out. This thing is heavy. :o Real heavy ???

I know I chose it. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Tully

Agreed, the H150/157-series is not light weight guitars (8 to 10+ lps all means HEAVY), and can be hard to wear more than one set at a gig - but the balance is perfect, and that helps a little.

I switch between 2 or 3 guitars, when I do a gig, including my H157 (best sounding instrument, I ever heard).

I've seen some interesting solution to the problem - here's one I haven't tried out:

The Dare Guitar Strap Now Available Through Planet Waves:

More info her -> http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2007...le-through.html

Dare-Guitar-Strap.jpg

Dare-Guitar-Strap.jpg_thumb

I just put my guitars on the scales.

Both my strat and prs weigh in at 7lbs and the Heritage weighs in just over 10.5lbs or close to that.

Those little marks on the scale are not as defined as they used to be :laugh:

I appreciate your interest. As soon as I get a bit more computer and camera savvy Ill post some pics.

Seems like a friendly place to hang out.

Cheers

Tully

I think I'm right in saying this is down to the type/source of mahogany used nowadays.

As I understand it, way back when, when the basic LP was designed, the mahogany used was lighter. ???

Of course an easy solution is, as Brent says, go for a 140. But I own both and to be honest, only the 150 feels like an LP. (I know it's not an LP, it's a 150 but let's be honest, we're buying them because we want an LP and we don't want to pay Gibbon prices for a CNC cut guitar).

Anyway, I digress...

I'd say it would be nice if H really took the weight issue on board and either hollowed them all or reduced the width by a small amount.

I think the 140 is too thin.... Just an opinion. ;D

I just put my guitars on the scales.

Both my strat and prs weigh in at 7lbs and the Heritage weighs in just over 10.5lbs or close to that.

Those little marks on the scale are not as defined as they used to be :laugh:

I appreciate your interest. As soon as I get a bit more computer and camera savvy Ill post some pics.

Tully

Seems like a friendly place to hang out.

Cheers

Quick aside...

I just noticed you didn't have any Karma...

You have now... ;D

I've found their solid bodies tend to be on the heavy side, yet their semi-hollow bodies tend to be on the light side when compared to their Gword counterparts.  That said, my H-137 (solid body LP Jr, style) is nice and light, but solid as a rock!

ey there.

Love the tone and feel. Some kinda vibe going on

Did my 1st gig with it just recently and loved how it made me play and sound

But.......

By the third bracket I was worn out. This thing is heavy.  Real heavy  

I know I chose it.

It was the best sounding and playing single cut guitar I found out of a lot of guitars from various US makers.

Is weighty guitars common to Heritage guitars?

All the ones Ive tried seem fairly substantial in that department.

Cheers

Tully

I've posted on here before complaining about the weight of my H-150- weighs in a little over 10lbs.

Gibson has a workaround for this. They drill relief holes in the mahagony which are covered by the maple cap.

For their custom shop, they use a lighter /more expensive genus of mahogany to keep the weight down.

One thing I suggest is getting a padded bass strap-Levi makes one that has elastical ends-not real bouncy, but they absorb some of the weight when you move.

The bright side is Heritage doesn't drill relief holes in the wood. I just wish they used the better Mahogany, but then then the price would have to go up.

I've seen some interesting solution to the problem - here's one I haven't tried out:

The Dare Guitar Strap Now Available Through Planet Waves:

Looks a bit like my rigging harness.... Perhaps I'll try that. ;D

width=360 height=480http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj254/cosmikdebriis/PSA_front_gross.jpg[/img]

Not sure about the hat and the overalls though... :P

Oh... And NO... That's not me :rolleyes:

I've got it sussed... ;)

Now I've just patented this so don't go trying to copy it, You'll have to buy the rights >:D

guitbaloon.jpg

I have to give you an applaud for this one. Nice solution, all coloured up  ;D ;D ;D - when would you release version II?

I think I'm right in saying this is down to the type/source of mahogany used nowadays.

As I understand it, way back when, when the basic LP was designed, the mahogany used was lighter. ???

Of course an easy solution is, as Brent says, go for a 140. But I own both and to be honest, only the 150 feels like an LP. (I know it's not an LP, it's a 150 but let's be honest, we're buying them because we want an LP and we don't want to pay Gibbon prices for a CNC cut guitar).

Anyway, I digress...

I'd say it would be nice if H really took the weight issue on board and either hollowed them all or reduced the width by a small amount.

I think the 140 is too thin.... Just an opinion. ;D

BTW Cosmik, If you ever, ever considder selling your goldtop H140 - pleeeeaaase let me know  :D

If you want The Tone then your back has to Groan!

Just sold a 245 PRS (their weight relieved version of a LP) because my all solid 150 has The Tone! My 150 weighs in between 9.5 to 10lbs.

I have order another 150 requesting it be at least 9.5lbs and no more than 10lbs ( we shall see if they come through for me)

If you want The Tone then your back has to Groan!

Just sold a 245 PRS (their weight relieved version of a LP) because my all solid 150 has The Tone! My 150 weighs in between 9.5 to 10lbs.

I have order another 150 requesting it be at least 9.5lbs and no more than 10lbs ( we shall see if they come through for me)

Hey Kuz,

Just curious. I tried the prs 245.

What about it did you not like?

To me it was a well made great sounding guitar but just didnt tonally get me what I wanted.

Didnt feel right either.

Lots of people seem to rave about it though. I thought I must of missed something...

Cheers

Tully

Hey Kuz,

Just curious. I tried the prs 245.

What about it did you not like?

To me it was a well made great sounding guitar but just didnt tonally get me what I wanted.

Didnt feel right either.

Lots of people seem to rave about it though. I thought I must of missed something...

Cheers

Tully

Same things you said. The 245 is too polite, it is close to a LP tone but not quite (plus I bought the 245 from another guy, it was mint but used and I in turn sold it for what I bought her for). I didn't hurt my back, too light. Immediately after buying and playing my 150 and I heard her sweet tone (LP grunt & growl) I knew the 245 was gonna be gone. I LOVE PRS GUITARS, but I like their original designs better. I can get another custom tricked out goldtop 150 for $500 less than a 10top 245(which I am with lollar imperials). I also have an original 25" PRS single cutaway that is weight relieved (and the 245 is wt relieved as well) so I didn't need 2 weight relieved  PRS single cuts. So I have THE LP TONE and the PRS single cut tone.

Here's some pics.

- first my current 150 goldtop with p90s (2months old) 9.5lbs of pure TONE......

- the great vintage looking 245 I sold

- finally PRS singlecut quilt artist package 25" scale (this one has it's own sound and is going no where)

How that answers some questions.

_DSC2129 web.jpg

_DSC2129 web.jpg_thumb

_DSC2044 web copy.jpg

_DSC2044 web copy.jpg_thumb

_DSC2087-Edit.jpg

_DSC2087-Edit.jpg_thumb

I've just thought of another way round the problem....

Whilst playing your guitar try and imagine Kylie Minogue, sharing a hot tub with Jenna Jameson (or, Perhaps Rob Halford, depending on your sexuality). :P

Instant guitar rest.... ;)

Thing is... If you're doing Ok with the Kylie image then whatever you do, don't think of Rob Halford (or visa versa).... Could cause a serious injury :-[

The other thing is, at my age, I find this method only works for a couple of minutes :'(

I've just thought of another way round the problem....

Whilst playing your guitar try and imagine Kylie Minogue, sharing a hot tub with Jenna Jameson (or, Perhaps Rob Halford, depending on your sexuality). :P

Instant guitar rest.... ;)

Thing is... If you're doing Ok with the Kylie image then whatever you do, don't think of Rob Halford (or visa versa).... Could cause a serious injury :-[

The other thing is, at my age, I find this method only works for a couple of minutes :'(

HOLY S***...., YOU KILL ME MAN!!!!!

I had an early H-150 Gold Top that I bought without thinking about the weight. It weighed 13.5 lbs., the heaviest one I've heard of to date. It was beautiful, the fingerboard/neck were awesome, and I eventually sold it because it was just too heavy to hold/play comfortably. I called it "Two Ton Tony".

I posted the weight in the e-Bay ad, didn't want to surprise anybody.

I think that around 8 lbs is my upper level of comfort, I'll stick with the H-137 and H-140 I've got.

Archived