Heritage Owners Club

Heavy 150!!!

JeffB

I posted the weight in the e-Bay ad, didn't want to surprise anybody.

I think that around 8 lbs is my upper level of comfort, I'll stick with the H-137 and H-140 I've got.

So dblazer. You didn't have a problem finding a buyer for it then? And I thought MINE was heavy....It amazes me how the weight can vary in a piece of mahogany. I've heard of them being as light as around 8.5 to 9 lbs up to 13.5-don't understand how there could be 4.5 lbs difference, but I guess it happens.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graham mentioned someone burnt the top of his Korina 137 :-[ and Heritage put a maple cap on it! Korina is consistently lighter then mahogany and mucho tonefull. That sounds like a pretty cool combination. If that's not a myth, I would be curious as to weight and tone.

Are weight variances related to year of manufacture (and the materials used at that time)?  Or in a single year can the variation be up to 4 lbs within the same model?  Just reading thru ads/posts, looks like 9 to 10 lbs is an average for a 150 although the infrequent 8 pounder or (my god) 13.5 pounder.

Easy now, Brent. Keep up the spirit!

Isn't it so, that we sometimes fear for the worst, when we're really should be hoping for the best?!?

Lighten up Francis. Do you want The TONE or girly man guitar?!! ;D ;D ;D

all this talk has me scared that my GM is gonna be really heavy :-

You know who you can dump it off to if you can't handle her!!! ;D ;D

Looks like it has one anatomical defect to be a "girly guitar"

Yes... I'm not sure what that's meant to be. I asked my missus and she suggested that perhaps it took batteries and had something to do with a Rabbit...

Women are crazy... Rabbits indeed...  ;)

I say the heavier the better for this guitar.  Forget the gym, open the case and play.  Also get a good Chiropractor.  ;)

I can't deal with a heavy guitar like the 150 any more but if I were to get one I would want it to be as heavy as it could be.  The tone of my ex 150 was so pure.  It's sustain was forever.  Of all the great guitar players only a few are still playing this style of guitar in their golden ages.  They hurt! 

I think mine weighed in at 10 lbs and 2 oz.  We used a shipping scale at work.  Now I use a 535 and let the amp do more of the work. 

You have a very special guitar and should get all you can out of it.  It's a Heritage!

Well i'm certainly gonna give it a fair trial.....i have had LP customs, standards in the past, so i should be able to get by.....it is just that my collar bone wont take it right now (1/2 hour at a time :()

I had an early H-150 Gold Top that I bought without thinking about the weight. It weighed 13.5 lbs., the heaviest one I've heard of to date. It was beautiful, the fingerboard/neck were awesome, and I eventually sold it because it was just too heavy to hold/play comfortably. I called it "Two Ton Tony".

Good gawd, and I thought the 12 lb 150 I had was bad!  :o

Hey guys I didnt mean to worry anyone with this thread

Its a heavey guitar... its also very toneful. I will manage :)

Understand that Ive played a strat for along time and Im used to lighter more contoured guitars.

I will adapt ;) I simply love this guitar to much.

Cheers

Tully

The 150-P is a good option if you're concerned about weight.  It is lighter and slighter thinner than a 150.  These things are selling cheap right now ($700-800).

What is the 150-P?  I'm unfamiliar with that designation.

Since Heritage is such a small quantity custom manufacturer, I would think they would have a chambered 150.  G* made a LP chambered model, can't remember what they called it, but it still is popular and you rarely see them for sale.

I have some bad discs in my neck, so there's no chance of carrying the extra weight around.  I can get some tasty sound from my 535 or my EC strat if I want something like that.  It isn't identical, but with a good amp and a pedal or two, its darn good!

I just checked Harmony Central and saw it is a 150 with a poplar body.  Interesting.  Apparantly it is no longer made. 

I'd still like to see if they could do a proper chamber body for it with mahogony...

What is the 150-P?  I'm unfamiliar with that designation.

Since Heritage is such a small quantity custom manufacturer, I would think they would have a chambered 150.  G* made a LP chambered model, can't remember what they called it, but it still is popular and you rarely see them for sale.

I have some bad discs in my neck, so there's no chance of carrying the extra weight around.  I can get some tasty sound from my 535 or my EC strat if I want something like that.  It isn't identical, but with a good amp and a pedal or two, its darn good!

The "P" stands for Poplar. The wood used for making the body. From what I've found out the poplar wood is lighter than mahogany but is kind of dull to look at and is not commonly used on translucent finishes.

Check out the following link for a view on various "tonewoods"

http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/articles/bodywoods.shtml

OH OH!!! :o  I talked to a friend last night and apparantly Gibson is expanding the models that come with chambered bodies.  I checked the Wildwood Guitar website and saw several that were under 8 lbs!  If they still carry a great tone, that makes things very interesting.  Maybe they do listen to customers down in Nashville...

Hey K-zoo, are you listening???

Archived