Heritage Owners Club

No endorsements for H157s

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

There are a couple of signature model H150s but I don't see the same interest in the H157. Why is that? Is it just because of the ebony board?

Even Les Paul opted for a plainer version of the Les Paul- no ebony. Others who could afford anything they wanted followed suit.

I liked my H157. I wished it were lighter, but that would probably affect it's tone.

The stock answer is that they sound different, followed by attractive tone adjectives for both types of guitars. That doesn't seem like the full explanation. If they both sound good but different, more H157s would be in magazines and videos, all other things being equal.

I'd appreciate comments.

There are a couple of signature model H150s but I don't see the same interest in the H157. Why is that? Is it just because of the ebony board?

Even Les Paul opted for a plainer version of the Les Paul- no ebony. Others who could afford anything they wanted followed suit.

I liked my H157. I wished it were lighter, but that would probably affect it's tone.

The stock answer is that they sound different, followed by attractive tone adjectives for both types of guitars. That doesn't seem like the full explanation. If they both sound good but different, more H157s would be in magazines and videos, all other things being equal.

I'd appreciate comments.

Very good question. My immediate guess would be that they start with something classic.

I'd appreciate comments.

I actually purchased my H 150CM used from Guitar Center. Why? Because the price was right. I got it for $900.00. I needed to replace one pickup ring (that I purchased from Guitar Center for about 7 bucks), waxed it up real nice, and will probably never get rid of it. Maybe the other guys can help me out but the 157's are higher end, and, thus, more expensive...right? Either way, I love both guitars and would buy over a Les Paul Standard or Custom (respectively) any day of the week. I'm not bashing Gibson though (I have 3 including a beat up '91 LP Studio that I will probably never get rid of...best action of all of my babies). I LOVE how heavy they are though. They sustain forever. Not sure if I am even on subject, but, if the price was right, I'd probably buy an H 157 (although I just bought an H 550 because Mark was going to put it on ebay B) )

I actually purchased my H 150CM used from Guitar Center. Why? Because the price was right. I got it for $900.00. I needed to replace one pickup ring (that I purchased from Guitar Center for about 7 bucks), waxed it up real nice, and will probably never get rid of it. Maybe the other guys can help me out but the 157's are higher end, and, thus, more expensive...right? Either way, I love both guitars and would buy over a Les Paul Standard or Custom (respectively) any day of the week. I'm not bashing Gibson though (I have 3 including a beat up '91 LP Studio that I will probably never get rid of...best action of all of my babies). I LOVE how heavy they are though. They sustain forever. Not sure if I am even on subject, but, if the price was right, I'd probably buy an H 157 (although I just bought an H 550 because Mark was going to put it on ebay B) )

Sorry Mark... didn't even notice that it was you who started the thread...seriously though, I'm chomping at the bit to pick up that H 550...

No endorsement because probably everyone know that rosewood fretboards RULE on solid & semi-solid bodies!!!!

I am kidding, but on a serious side think of some of the most collectible vintage Gibsons......... LP Standards & 335s. The LP Customs & 345/355s are collectible, but not on the level of their rosewood siblings.

Everybody thinks I am nuts for saying I can perceive a difference in tone comparing rosewood to ebony, well why do so many artist gravitate to rosewood boards?

Just a thought.

Guest mgoetting

Everybody thinks I am nuts for saying I can perceive a difference in tone comparing rosewood to ebony, well why do so many artist gravitate to rosewood boards?

Just a thought.

Just because you're nuts doesn't mean you're wrong. B)

How come Fender sells so many rosewood AND maple boards? Many big names flip flop on those, Clapton for example. But almost no one gets an ebony LP.

Jazz players don't seem to have a strong preference over fretboard material or scale length. I should say there is no consensus among jazz players. Individuals are very opinionated.

No endorsement because probably everyone know that rosewood fretboards RULE on solid & semi-solid bodies!!!!

I am kidding, but on a serious side think of some of the most collectible vintage Gibsons......... LP Standards & 335s. The LP Customs & 345/355s are collectible, but not on the level of their rosewood siblings.

Just a thought.

Oh , c'mon Kuz... you played my 157 at PSP III, it wasn't so bad for an ebony board , eh? B)

Back to the original question... with the limited number of players that endorse the Heritage brand... many are looking for that vintage look that recalls the 50's guitars that came out of Parsons Street. And with the popularity of the '58- 60 Bursts, well, that just leads them to a 150 with CM top. It's why so many R8, R9 and R0 are sold , along with the many flamed maple top Les Pauls that recall the Burst look.

I'd appreciate comments.

Mark, from the beginning there were very few Heritage signature models. Over the years more have been added. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Alex Skolnick (H150) model come out. But as an artist who preferred the 150 style of guitar, that's what Alex went for, and Heritage delivered the goods. I hope that there will eventually be an H157 signature model in the future. But it would have to be the result of a known artist first choosing his/her Heritage and checking with the boys about a customized signature version of a 157.

Not many artists however, care to jump into their own version of a Heritage unless they have some sort of endorsement deal...and that is not Heritage's style. They don't give free guitars to pro artists. (That makes the PSP giveaway even more meaningful!)

The cool thing is that any guitar slinger like you or I can order their own signature model Heritage 157 or whatever.

An example is the super custom 157 is in my avatar. B)

Guest mgoetting
Mark, from the beginning there were very few Heritage signature models. Over the years more have been added. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Alex Skolnick (H150) model come out. But as an artist who preferred the 150 style of guitar, that's what Alex went for, and Heritage delivered the goods. I hope that there will eventually be an H157 signature model in the future. But it would have to be the result of a known artist first choosing his/her Heritage and checking with the boys about a customized signature version of a 157.

Not many artists however, care to jump into their own version of a Heritage unless they have some sort of endorsement deal...and that is not Heritage's style. They don't give free guitars to pro artists. (That makes the PSP giveaway even more meaningful!)

The cool thing is that any guitar slinger like you or I can order their own signature model Heritage 157 or whatever.

An example is the super custom 157 is in my avatar. B)

You have a classy 157.

There aren't very many rock players who choose ebony boards.

There are some blues players though, not many. There's BB King and a few less prominent (I suppose they are all less prominent than BB) players.

Everybody thinks I am nuts for saying I can perceive a difference in tone comparing rosewood to ebony........

I don't think that makes you crazy..... something sure does though. B)

Ebony FEELS different and sounds a bit brighter. The 157 Ebony sounds more Jazz than Rock & Roll. It was designed before rock & roll so Duh! Not unlike the strat, after the advent of the Marshall and English blues or the America regeneration of the British version of American Chicago Blues, it was the rosewood 150 and 535s or strats that became the tools of choice for the music of the 1964-9 period. I would love a Black 157 with Charlie Christian pups and a wrap tail.

I have 555 with an ebony board, it's a great guitar, I have a Tokai les paul with a rosewood board, and a strat with a maple neck. If I ever get another strat I will get a rosewood board.

Perhaps a very simple answer to why people buy rosewood is because the burst finish guitars tend to come with rosewood, and we all love those various burst finishes?

Everybody thinks I am nuts for saying I can perceive a difference in tone comparing rosewood to ebony
Yes, many do. ;)

How many performing artists do we see playing LP Customs? I can only think of 1 this early in the morning - Peter Frampton. Other than that, most play Standards or Classics, which relate to the 150. So, to me, it seems reasonable that the siggies, few as they are, would be 150s, not 157s. Now, if we could get Frampton to own up. Or maybe Al Pitrelli (just came to mind and he uses Customs), then maybe we'd see some 157 Siggies.

custom players:

Mick Ronson

Robert Fripp

Brian Robertson (thin lizzy).

The custom players I can think of all seem to come from the seventies and the new generation of players don't seem to go anywhere near them. Funnily enough, alot of them seem to go for PRS.

custom players:

Mick Ronson

Robert Fripp

Brian Robertson (thin lizzy).

The custom players I can think of all seem to come from the seventies and the new generation of players don't seem to go anywhere near them. Funnily enough, alot of them seem to go for PRS.

Robertson is still playing? Last I saw of him was the Gary Moore Thin Lizzy tribute. Not Robbo's best night. Didn't notice it was an LPC. Coolio!

Archived