Heritage Owners Club

Recommendation for a vocal mic

big bob

Shure SM58 should do the trick

Thats what we were using at Steiners on Wednesday

+1 on the SM58. The Shure SM-58 is an industry standard and is the most used "stage" mic ever for vocals. Definately, the best for the money, about $99.00 on-line and $109.99 with an on/off switch.

Well, let me be the first to dis the SM58. Absolutely HATE that microphone. 30yrs ago it was cutting edge, but technology has far surpassed the SM58. We dumped those years ago in favor AKG (the D5 is cool and affordable), Sennheiser (E835 is a good mic, I use an e838 at rehearsal), Blue (I use an enCore 200 live) or Audix (Tracy uses an OM3). All of these are affordable, offer better gain before feedback, better off-axis rejection and are easier to eq. Plus, they just sound better. And are within the same price range (maybe a bit more) than the Shure. If I were going to go Shure, I'd look at the Beta series; but they do go for a bit more change.

Now now, Kenny - don't you be hatin' on the SM58. It doubles as a hammer to pound the nails back in the loose cabinets, doncha know! Every time we need new mics (which is now, again, so timely post) I look around, don't know what to get, so end up getting the 'ol standard 58 again. Of the mics you list above, which single one would you recommend?

Now now, Kenny - don't you be hatin' on the SM58. It doubles as a hammer to pound the nails back in the loose cabinets, doncha know! Every time we need new mics (which is now, again, so timely post) I look around, don't know what to get, so end up getting the 'ol standard 58 again. Of the mics you list above, which single one would you recommend?

B)

Of the ones I posted I prefer the Senn's. Very natural sounding mics. Good off-axis rejection. Easy to fit in a mix.

If you're going to spend $150.00 I prefer the EV Ndym series. The best I've ever used professionally. All of the qualities mentioned above by Tulk but more durable. But for $99.00, you can't beat a SM-58.

So Senn 835 vs Shure 58, both a bill... you'd go for the Senn, eh? Okay, think I'll try those out (the sat coffee jam has either Senns or AKGs along with 58s... I'll have to look at which models. They are different to mix).

Probably too late to the dance here but I LOVE the AKG's. I own 5 AKGs 1 D870 and 4 D9000s. I get tons of compliments, they sound very natural and don't break. Plus Musicians Friend always has a 2 for 1 deal on them. Can't beat it with a stick. The first one I bought based on a taste test at a local music store. after than I bought more off the web because I liked them so much.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-d-9000-high-performance-microphone-buy-1-get-1-free/271142000000000

Probably too late to the dance here but I LOVE the AKG's. I own 5 AKGs 1 D870 and 4 D9000s. I get tons of compliments, they sound very natural and don't break. Plus Musicians Friend always has a 2 for 1 deal on them. Can't beat it with a stick. The first one I bought based on a taste test at a local music store. after than I bought more off the web because I liked them so much.

http://www.musicians...271142000000000

Where where you last weekend?

The three mics at the jam were my Senn 835s. I like them much better than the Shures. I think they are smoother overall and more natural sounding than the 58 or 57. I had a 57 in the box, but never brought it out.

Hmmmmmm. :glasses10:

Archived