Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H150 floor model inlay material?

hopkinwfg

Dear guys and gals, i recently ordered a H150 standard and too getta used Gibby 2006 R8 VOS in tobacco burst... i understand that the Gibby didnt use abalone shell on their inlays for R8 standard model and what i heard is that they use plastic? i i didnt even know a 5k grand Gibson R8 fret inlay is made of plastic? lol

now that i know i just wonder what kinda material used on the Heritage standard H150's fretboard inlay? i hope its not plastic too? 

I know the pre-plaza corp Heritages primarily used real mother of pearl; but I'm not sure if that's still the case now or not. I know that Gibson has used plastic on most of their guitars for many, many, many, years. Some of the most desirable historic gibby's out there had plastic inlays. 

I prefer the real thing too, but personally I wouldn't fret over the plastic (acrylic and/or nitrocellulose) inlays.  

i used to have few Jackson soloist and for their usa selected series they all came with abalone shell inlays.... unless those were japanese made guitars thats of second tier and those came in with plastic or pearloid inlays... it feels different the MOP inlay just feels smoother silkier compares to plastic "pearloid" inlays feels less smooth and silky... 

for the gibby to have marketed their historic guitars for customer to pay over 5k grand and inlay were not even MOP?... ouch.... i just hope the heritage i got came with MOP inlays.... anybody with their H150 standard 2022 or 2021 made can attest if the inlay is of MOP ?

Gibson's Custom Shop has taken great pains over the years to re-create models that were 'historically correct'.  That included copying the original designs as well as some of the parts.  Original Les Pauls had plastic or acrylic inlays, long neck tenons, holly overlay headstock and much more.  The original Les Paul Custom and other special models had mother of pearl (MOP) inlays and still do to this day.

Pre-Plaza Heritage guitars all had MOP inlays, except for the more exclusive models that had Abalone inlays. 

Maybe someone here can verify what the latest Heritage inlays are made of.

3 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Gibson's Custom Shop has taken great pains over the years to re-create models that were 'historically correct'.  That included copying the original designs as well as some of the parts.  Original Les Pauls had plastic or acrylic inlays, long neck tenons, holly overlay headstock and much more.  The original Les Paul Custom and other special models had mother of pearl (MOP) inlays and still do to this day.

Pre-Plaza Heritage guitars all had MOP inlays, except for the more exclusive models that had Abalone inlays. 

Maybe someone here can verify what the latest Heritage inlays are made of.

All of this is exactly spot on and Gibson reissues were copying (to various degrees) the same parts/materials as their vintage guitar were.

My Custom Core 150 Artisian Aged (and all 150CC models) have acrylic inlays now.... probably to try to be more vintage correct.

Current production 150s may still use MOP inlays, I am not sure.

My four thousand dollar H150 Custom Core has Mother of Toilet Seat inlay just like Gibson's custom shop offerings. I do not personally believe that this was done for any vintage reproduction authenticity attempt but rather for just a cost savings in material. I like my H150CC but I scoff at the corporation's decision to downgrade their finger rests and inlay.

1 hour ago, HANGAR18 said:

My four thousand dollar H150 Custom Core has Mother of Toilet Seat inlay just like Gibson's custom shop offerings. I do not personally believe that this was done for any vintage reproduction authenticity attempt but rather for just a cost savings in material. I like my H150CC but I scoff at the corporation's decision to downgrade their finger rests and inlay.

lol... i think i have da same thoughts as you ! i have no idea why the historic reissue was an axe built without any conscious on whats a known upgrade and a known downgrade "cost save ? yes probably given the excuse of dating the Historic bible" 

i caught up on this video and this guy actually picked up few issues ie: flawed mount stud of tailpiece, flawed inlay work, flawed input jack plate... i wonder has anybody here notice such issues on their Heritage H150? i also wonder what bridge is The Heritage using ? since i dont think its ABR-1 ? its probably a nashville tune-o-matic? 

no idea difference between the ABR-1 vs Nashville tonally but lets say if the existing bridge and tailpiece on the current Heritage can swap for a direct fit for an ABR-1 bridge and tailpiece? 

3 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

lol... i think i have da same thoughts as you ! i have no idea why the historic reissue was an axe built without any conscious on whats a known upgrade and a known downgrade "cost save ? yes probably given the excuse of dating the Historic bible" 

i caught up on this video and this guy actually picked up few issues ie: flawed mount stud of tailpiece, flawed inlay work, flawed input jack plate... i wonder has anybody here notice such issues on their Heritage H150? i also wonder what bridge is The Heritage using ? since i dont think its ABR-1 ? its probably a nashville tune-o-matic? 

no idea difference between the ABR-1 vs Nashville tonally but lets say if the existing bridge and tailpiece on the current Heritage can swap for a direct fit for an ABR-1 bridge and tailpiece? 

Anything that is hand made, from materials which grow naturally outside in a forest, like one of these guitars is always going to display some evidence of these facts. Overall, the quality control of these new corporation built Heritage guitars straight from the factory is a lot better now than they were previously.

noted on this but the mounted stud that went out of angle was  far too bad in my opinion and same goes for the inlay work thats not even... not to pick on Heritage but i am actually very excited about Heritage guitars due to the fact that more and more people are saying thats how a les paul should sound like... i just hope Heritage can be way way better than before and to always find ways to perfect their craft... 

i do find that the Heritage H150 whom they offered the long tenon joint is a big big leap forward for those whom like to see the "smile" when they open up the neck pickup cavity... personally i felt if not for the tone least its a craft that has the effort to it when fitting those long tenon on body... where on gibson you need to find the historic reissue for that... 

i was just wonderin what bridge and tail piece is Heritage putting up ? 

On 4/16/2023 at 2:52 AM, HANGAR18 said:

The guy that’s responsible for the custom cores is Edwin Wilson who the previous top dog at the Gibson custom shop. And although you may feel they were looking to make some cost savings, I seriously doubt that, like others have said, I think he’s trying to push the custom cores more in the direction of the Gibson custom shop. Personally, I think pearl fingerboard inlays would look out of place on a vintage Les Paul. Some of the decisions that he’s made I still don’t agree with, like potting the pick ups, or the off-brand ABR they’re using, But I still feel they’re getting closer toward the ideal vintage Les Paul sound and feel, especially with the lightweight mahogany, the rolled fingerboard edges, etc. I just wish they would go all the way and use hide glue, no truss rod condom, etc. It would be nice if Edwin Wilson, who knows what vintage Les Paul are all about would do the things for Heritage that he couldn’t do at Gibson when he had his hands tied.

6 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

The guy that’s responsible for the custom cores is Edwin Wilson who the previous top dog at the Gibson custom shop. And although you may feel they were looking to make some cost savings, I seriously doubt that, like others have said, I think he’s trying to push the custom cores more in the direction of the Gibson custom shop. Personally, I think pearl fingerboard inlays would look out of place on a vintage Les Paul. Some of the decisions that he’s made I still don’t agree with, like potting the pick ups, or the off-brand ABR they’re using, But I still feel they’re getting closer toward the ideal vintage Les Paul sound and feel, especially with the lightweight mahogany, the rolled fingerboard edges, etc. I just wish they would go all the way and use hide glue, no truss rod condom, etc. It would be nice if Edwin Wilson, who knows what vintage Les Paul are all about would do the things for Heritage that he couldn’t do at Gibson when he had his hands tied.

I think this Wilson guy is doing a very good job. (I seriously doubt they are still putting drinking straws around the truss rods.) I agree with you that Heritage is "trying to push the custom cores more in the direction of the Gibson custom shop" but I view that as a problem to a certain degree. Heritage should be aiming for "Better than Gibson" and not "As good as Gibson".

That is what originally drew me to Heritage, as a customer in a guitar store around 2007 or so, I was of the opinion that Heritage was a.) better than a Gibson, and b.) considerably less expensive than a Gibson. THAT is what drew me to the brand. Were I to magically start over and be introduced to the brand today, I don't think that I would drink the Heritage kool-aid. Instead I believe that today I would be more likely to find a used Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul instead of spending $4000.00 on a Heritage Custom Core H150. But the only reason that I didn't do that already is that today I have a very real emotional attachment to Heritage guitars, and that, I think more than anything else is why I bought a brand new Heritage Custom Core.

7 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

... today I have a very real emotional attachment to Heritage guitars, and that, I think more than anything else is why I bought a brand new Heritage Custom Core.

My emotional attachment to Heritage is before the modern era.  The company lost their heritage in 2016.  I will not bother with their current guitars.  The old guitars were fantastic.  Long tenon/short tenon, it makes no difference.  It is like a gear head buying a camera and lens and just taking photos of a newspaper at home instead of using the tool.  Are any of you out there willing to say this 150 isn't as good as the current 150s?  This guitar sure cost a lot less that their current guitars.  

img_4266_std.jpg

18 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

so whats the best ideal exact copy of the old famous les paul ?

i have just gotten my Gibson les paul historic 2008 R8 in bourbon burst or tobacco burst ... its amazing piece of instrument !! i am amazed by how resonant the R8 can be and its light enough in my opinion, the burst is nice finishes is thin and allows wood to breathe ... am happy with the rosewood the color and grain of the body is beautiful ! it turned out that the side fretboard dots and inlays being acrylic was nicely done, the side fretboard dots has this translucent see thru effect which i like it very much ... 

sorry i know this is the Heritage forum... i see Gibson and Heritage being the legitimate closest DNA of the Les paul.... i have roughly played the H150 standard floor model i felt its finishes were thicker, neck is slimer compared to my R8 (i prefer slightly beefier neck) as for the other aspect other than the tuners,bridge and tailpiece..... its pretty much close.... i cant wait enough for the arrival of my H150 in Oxblood ! 

i probably think the H150 feels more modern than the Gibby R8... as for tone i think H150 will sound warmer and R8 will have a higher mids and treble bite ( light crunch) 

17 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

so whats the best ideal exact copy of the old famous les paul ?

i have just gotten my Gibson les paul historic 2008 R8 in bourbon burst or tobacco burst ... its amazing piece of instrument !! i am amazed by how resonant the R8 can be and its light enough in my opinion, the burst is nice finishes is thin and allows wood to breathe ... am happy with the rosewood the color and grain of the body is beautiful ! it turned out that the side fretboard dots and inlays being acrylic was nicely done, the side fretboard dots has this translucent see thru effect which i like it very much ... 

sorry i know this is the Heritage forum... i see Gibson and Heritage being the legitimate closest DNA of the Les paul.... i have roughly played the H150 standard floor model i felt its finishes were thicker, neck is slimer compared to my R8 (i prefer slightly beefier neck) as for the other aspect other than the tuners,bridge and tailpiece..... its pretty much close.... i cant wait enough for the arrival of my H150 in Oxblood ! 

i probably think the H150 feels more modern than the Gibby R8... as for tone i think H150 will sound warmer and R8 will have a higher mids and treble bite ( light crunch) 

Well the production guitar with the closest specs would be probably the Gibson R series. But without a real Honduran mahogany and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, and PAFs, they are close but no cigar, and oh yeah the original hardware:) Just be happy with what you've got. I am. My H150s and Les Pauls all sound different, and all sound good!

Archived