Heritage Owners Club

Is Heritage going out of business?

lowendpurveyor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm new to Heritage guitars. I notice my local dealer having quite a few Heritage guitars for sale. Just wondering, the seller seems to have alluded to the fact that Heritage is going out of business. Does anyone know whether this is correct?

I don't know...I emailed and called yesterday. I'm going to be in the area today (and had some time to kill around 3PM) so I thought I'd see if I could get a brief tour. I left a message on an answering machine, and no email response (which isn't unusual...they never respond to my emails). No biggie though...I guess I'll just kill time at Guitar Center:( Doesn't affect how I feel about my guitars...still love 'em to death!

I'm new to Heritage guitars. I notice my local dealer having quite a few Heritage guitars for sale. Just wondering, the seller seems to have alluded to the fact that Heritage is going out of business. Does anyone know whether this is correct?

Well then, please give us the name of this dealer so we can help him clear out his Heritage inventory. What's he got?

Rumors of business failures are rampant in this economy. Maybe your dealer is grousing because he can't move his Heritages.

In business or out of business..I'm keeping my 535!! :icon_thumright:

+1,000! I heard that. My guitar instructor, way cool and hard to impress, finally deigned to notice my 535 this morning. He's adjusting the pups as I'm playing, a smile slowly growing on his face. He put the gain up on the amp, and finally, after like almost a year, he goes "that's a good sounding guitar"! duh

He loves his Frankenstrat with the scalloped fretboard.

I heard that Jim Morrison was opening up for Jimi Hendrix who was playing a Heritage 150.... then Elvis was strumming a 445 in the corner!

Well, that's what a friend of my Heritage dealer who used to date Marilyn Monroe told me.

Alrighty then...back to the original post...I stopped in at Tremolo Music in K'zoo (they have some VERY cool vintage guitars btw), and Scott says that Heritage is "taking a break" for a few weeks. He didn't think they were going out of business, just on hiatus (whatever the hell that means).

We were chuckling about the fact that these guys make wonderful instruments, but have no business sense whatsoever. If they could find some way to develop a business, marketing, and operations plan and stick to it, they might be able to stay up and running. Oh well...hopefully they don't go the same route as Robin Guitars, who just announced it was shutting it's doors.

Alrighty then...back to the original post...I stopped in at Tremolo Music in K'zoo (they have some VERY cool vintage guitars btw), and Scott says that Heritage is "taking a break" for a few weeks. He didn't think they were going out of business, just on hiatus (whatever the hell that means).

So I should be patient about getting my specs for a Custom Prospect confirmed then, eh? :offtheair: Blasted impatience.

Guest mgoetting

We were chuckling about the fact that these guys make wonderful instruments, but have no business sense whatsoever. If they could find some way to develop a business, marketing, and operations plan and stick to it, they might be able to stay up and running. Oh well...hopefully they don't go the same route as Robin Guitars, who just announced it was shutting it's doors.

I've got a trash bag full of guitar parts they need to put together! Damn! :icon_scratch:

Hunting season and Thanksgiving.

Next will be the EXTENDED Christmas break (which if I remember correctly is at least 3 weeks)

Then two weeks for summer/independence day break.

Some may scoff, but when the building & tools are paid for.... you can take breaks like the above.

Guest mgoetting

Sorry but I don't buy the hunting season deal. Bow season's honeymoon is over and everyone's back to work. Gun season doesn't start for a while. Besides, no business shuts down for two weeks for even deer hunting.

This doesn't sound right. Maybe they're not closed but only slowing down. Maybe they are too busy to answer messages.

Now you must excuse me while I clean my rifle.

Guest mgoetting

Hunting season and Thanksgiving.

Next will be the EXTENDED Christmas break (which if I remember correctly is at least 3 weeks)

Then two weeks for summer/independence day break.

Some may scoff, but when the building & tools are paid for.... you can take breaks like the above.

Only if you don't care about your employees and customers or if you don't have much product demand.

Only if you don't care about your employees and customers or if you don't have much product demand.

Wow, I think that is assuming a lot. :rolleyes_mini:

1. How do you know that the employees don't know about the extended vacations ahead of time. That they might even WELCOME the breaks.

2. Don't care about customers??? I assume you mean that Heritage is working every second to build a guitar is not loyal to their customers? WELL, the turn around time has been approx. 12-14 weeks for a custom order (yea, I have ordered 4 custom Heritages and that is the time frame). Every order a custom PRS (1 year) or a custom Fender (16 months).....

3. Product demand???? If you are saving on expenses (electricity, salary for workers) then maybe you are saving money in this economy and it might be the prudent thing to take some breaks.

AND for the record, they have done this for 25 years, except they used to have more fishing breaks....

they have done this for 25 years, except they used to have more fishing breaks....

I accept what you say, because it sounds to me like you know what you're talking about. But this still makes me uneasy. Maybe just because we all care about the company, and because the economy is so unkind right now. It's worrisome. Like you're waiting for the next shoe to fall ... I need to find my medication now ...

Wow, I think that is assuming a lot. :rolleyes_mini:

1. How do you know that the employees don't know about the extended vacations ahead of time. That they might even WELCOME the breaks.

2. Don't care about customers??? I assume you mean that Heritage is working every second to build a guitar is not loyal to their customers? WELL, the turn around time has been approx. 12-14 weeks for a custom order (yea, I have ordered 4 custom Heritages and that is the time frame). Every order a custom PRS (1 year) or a custom Fender (16 months).....

3. Product demand???? If you are saving on expenses (electricity, salary for workers) then maybe you are saving money in this economy and it might be the prudent thing to take some breaks.

AND for the record, they have done this for 25 years, except they used to have more fishing breaks....

I'm sure you know what you are talking about, but in this economy (regardless of whether or not they've been doing this for 25 years), this is a lousy business model and it makes me nervous too....

Guest mgoetting

I run a business in the same city as Heritage and with a few more employees. But I certainly don't know their unique circumstances.

I could not afford to pay my employees to stay home for 6-8 weeks out of the year. Perhaps Heritage can. More likely, they are not paid though.

The Heritage employees might want to have a steady paycheck because there's a good chance that at least some of them have spouses out of work- Michigan has about the highest unemployment rate in the country, the highest for eight consecutive years until Nevada nudged us out a few months ago.

Further, it is likely that healthcare cost shifting, meaning deductibles and co-pays, is rising for them, requiring more after-tax dollars for the employees for the same services. Virtually all businesses in Kalamazoo have had to use this cost-shifting to purchase affordable policies for their employees.

I have twenty five employees. No one, I mean no one in the last few years has asked for a few unpaid weeks off. Heritage employees might be different, especially since a sizable portion is owners.

It almost always means a hurt bottom line when you close a plant while there's high product demand. There are fixed costs, like taxes and maintenance, with no revenue. Again, Heritage maybe doesn't mind that and has decided as a corporate cultural rule that there will be a lot of time off. But also consider that the plant was closed due to the power transformer or generator failure a few weeks ago. That was unscheduled down time for what, a week or more? I don't recall.

You can point out that they've closed down for weeks at a time several times a year for many years. If the employees don't like that, they would have left. Consider this though, where would they go? Who's hiring neck carvers in Kalamazoo? Some have left, BTW.

The gone hunting, gone fishing thing may be the truth. But my family and my employees's families would be eating beans and weenies every night if I closed down like that.

Is Heritage shutting down for good? I have no idea. Are they closed for deer season? That would be quaint.

Archived