Heritage Owners Club

What is the string thing??

pushover

What is it about the strings that you use that is what makes you like them?

A majority of people focus on the string guage they use/like, but my own (admittedly limited) experience leads to me beleive that most people also have their favorite brand of string that they always use. So my question is.. What are the characteristics of the strings that  you like?

My intention in asking is not to start one of those religous discussions about which is the best brand. It might  actually be more informative to try and describe the characteristics of the strings you use without  revealing the brand.  Who knows.. some others might even be able to  deduce the brand based on the description.

I'm also curious... Do you use the same brand of strings on all your guitars? Or does the brand of string change with the function of the guitar and type of music? 

Anway.. just curious..

As a kid it was Ernie Ball regular slinkys or D'Addario 10-46s.  Through the years I've pretty much settled on the D'Addarios, though I'm not really sure why.  I also like SIT strings as them seem to settle in a bit quicker, but are harder to find.  I've yet to try the "boutique" brands like Snake Oil or DR.  On accoustic I used to really like Dean Markley - they were so full of overtones they made my 6 string sound like it was a 12 string - I liked that.  Then somehing happened and they lost that.  I've again settled on D'Addario, though allot of people I trust swear by John Pierce. 

As a kid it was Ernie Ball regular slinkys or D'Addario 10-46s.  Through the years I've pretty much settled on the D'Addarios, though I'm not really sure why.  I also like SIT strings as them seem to settle in a bit quicker, but are harder to find.  I've yet to try the "boutique" brands like Snake Oil or DR.  On accoustic I used to really like Dean Markley - they were so full of overtones they made my 6 string sound like it was a 12 string - I liked that.  Then somehing happened and they lost that.  I've again settled on D'Addario, though allot of people I trust swear by John Pierce. 

So if I take GuitArtMan's description at face value, it's not so much the "feel" of the string as it is the sound they produced. That makes a certain sense, especially with accoustics, but I'm wondering if I could even tell the difference sound wise on an electric between the various different string brands? Possibly for some?

So if I take GuitArtMan's description at face value, it's not so much the "feel" of the string as it is the sound they produced. That makes a certain sense, especially with accoustics, but I'm wondering if I could even tell the difference sound wise on an electric between the various different string brands? Possibly for some?

I'd say Yes, you could tell the difference soundwise between string brands. (as in: Your audience, not so much.) And there is def a difference in string feel. For me, I like Pyramid strings on all my guitars - 9's and 10's. Those strings just felt wonderful to the fingers. But they are SO pricey that I've given them up. Feel aside: In the 90's I used GHS Progressives exclusively because they tended to hold up to my Aliens-saliva strength sweat better than most. Currently, I use Fender strings on the Strat and Tele because I think they sound better on those guitars. GHS somethings on most of the others. I avoid D'ads because they turn my fingers tips black and wear out way too fast.

I buy strings for their tone, durability and ease of play.  I have been using the same brand of strings for a long time and I don't plan on changing any time soon. 

My strings are as important to me as any other piece of the machine. 

Im definitly not a brand loyalist.

There are a couple of brands I dont like though.

For me It all comes down to how they feel. Tension seems to be the thing I notice the most.

In my gig bag I have dean markley blues, d'addario's, ernie balls, dr's and some sit's.

I dont notice alot of difference in tone, longevity or feel between any of these.

Im not big on elixers but I know others really like them. I just dont like the way they feel.

I do admit though that they can make a dead strat sound real alive and snappy.

Strings?

in the 80s it was all about the Dean Markley light guage (still got some stickers on one of my cases .... d'oh)

since then I've used Ernie Ball, D'Adario and GHS ..... but lately, I've been trying out DR strings ..... usually 10s, sometimes 11s .... have also tried Elixirs a couple of times and think I'd only use 'em again if I knew the guitar was not going to see regular playin' time but ready to go at a moment's notice ...

no rhyme or reason to my shopping/string choices ... sometimes it just depends on if my guitar is getting a fresh set-up or it's just a routine string change or a string breaks mid-song and needs replacin'  :) 8)

I've been sticking with  a particular brand recently, though I use a different brand on my electrics than on my acoustics. I've been doing this so long, I'm not sure I know what I'm missing? Sound is the deciding factor on the accoustic, and the brand I use on the electrics sounds a little too tinny.

I agree with the comment above that the strings are an integral part of the equation, and that's partly why I asked the question in the first place. So.. What are some of the factors then (part of the problem is that string guage seems to affect the following)?

Sound: sound bright, sound dull, full sound; thin sound;

stiffness: too stiff; too loose; just right

surface feel: sticky; smooth

longevity: break easily; start to sound dull tooo quickly; etc.

cost: cheap, expensive

Anything else factor in?

Went through a lotta brand's, lotta gauges; ya name 'em I've played 'em!

Last year I started using DR 10-46 on my electrics and let me tell ya I can d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y feel/hear the difference! :P

I thought strings were just strings and it wouldn't really matter what brand one's usin', but since I've switched to DR Strings I had to change my mind about it; fitted a set of Ernie Ball's to one of my guitars last week and noticed the drop in feel/Tone straight away!

The point is though; why such a difference on so tiny an item...?

For some reason the DR's sound way "bigger" than they are; 10's sound like 12's and so on and so forth...dunno why and it baffles me :rolleyes: but frankly I couldn't care less, they deliver and that's all that matters! 8)

Now I wanna try their 9-46's; that bein' the case they should feel/bend like what they are but sound like 11's, right? ;)

On my acoustic's I use Rotosound's though, 11-52's; cheap but soooooooo cheerfull it's beyond belief! ;D

Another vote for the DR "pure blues" strings. The thing I noticed is they feel "softer" to play. 10's play like 9's, and they seem easier to string.

We were turned on to them by Michael Burks (our fave blues player), and their deal on strings at the guitar shows is hard to beat; 13 sets for $50...

My intention in asking is not to start one of those religous discussions about which is the best brand. It might  actually be more informative to try and describe the characteristics of the strings you use without  revealing the brand.  Who knows.. some others might even be able to  deduce the brand based on the description.

I tried to keep my mouth shut per Pushover's request about not mentioning string brands but since almost everybody else was letting the cat gutt out of the bag it is making my teeth sweat. 

DRs!  There I said it....and I feel better.  Pure Blues for the 535s and Phosphor Bronze for acoustics.  I love to bend strings.  I like the flat necks on my 535s, they feel like a wide yard stick with high action.  Put a bigsby into the mix and you have a good venue for string breakage.  Not with DRs.   

I am with GuitArtMan on choice but must add... people have different chemicals compositions in their sweat and thus some brands last longer than others for some people. Humidity, cost, cleaning after use AND how many guitars you have are other considerations. 

For what it's worth....  Clapton: "Slowhand,"  Me: "Acidhand."  Got myself into the habit or wiping each string with a piece of old diaper (kid's now twenty-three...and won't need them...soon....Some of you guys know what I'm talking about!), which makes a great guitar rag!  I have eleven guitars, all of which are played and restrung pretty regularly.  Gets a little expensive!  The wiping after every playing does prolong string life!  And yeah, DR's are fabulous...bright, "soft" (and I play .011's on everything), and they seem to last.

i´m happy with d'addarios 105.  i started using them, because their 105 were always in stock in the shop around the corner. i then tried the elixiers and found them too "tinny" (if that's a word..). earnie balls make my finger tips black.

I am with GuitArtMan on choice but must add... people have different chemicals compositions in their sweat and thus some brands last longer than others for some people. Humidity, cost, cleaning after use AND how many guitars you have are other considerations. 

+1 on that one Spectrum.

I have over 20 guitars at the moment and I try to standardise on brand and gauge as much as possible as I can then buy in bulk.

I use D'Addario 9-42 on Strats, 10-46 on Heritage and Gbrand, and Galli Rainbows 12-53 on acoustics.

D'Addarios are very easy to come by and also consistent. They seem to last and stay in tune well for me.

The Galli strings are cheap and cheerful, but I prefer them to Martin and D'Addario acoustic strings as they stay in tune exceptionally well and seem to last forever.

The set on my teaching guitar, Seagull S6, has about 300 hours up on them at the moment  :o but they still sound fine and I seldom need to tune up.

( I know I should change them more often but if it ain't broke why fix it  ;D)

I am much more particular about my electric strings and to maximise string life and reduce the time spent stringing up I use Kyser string lubricant and cleaner.

I also go a step further ...

as some of my electrics might not get used as much as others I use a sheet of plastic the entire length of the strings.

• [li]This passes between the strings and the fingerboard[/li]
    [li]after cleaning the strings as normal a coat of lubricant is applied to the strings[/li]
    [li]the plastic sheet is then wrapped around the strings, this prevents the lube from staining the fingerboard and keeps it on the strings[/li]
    [li]this greatly increases string life for me and ensures that when I open a case the strings have not "died" through lack of use [/li]

I do have a 575 that I intend to restring shortly, I don't know what is on it at the moment but I'm guessing they're 11's, with a fairly high tension.

Has anyone had experience of  D'Addario or DR Strings on a hollow body ? I have never tried DRs as my local shop does not stock them.

I would still like to be able to bend strings a bit, I would also like a fairly full sound without going to flat wounds or half rounds.

Regards ...

Has anyone had experience of  D'Addario or DR Strings on a hollow body ?

I've got DR 10s on my newly-acquired 137 Classic. They sound OK to me.

I buy mine with mostly price in mind.. Just bought some off Musicians friends, 10 sets of loose strings .009 gauge of their house brand.  I have used that guage for a few years now, but thinking it might be a tad light on my newly bought 150 (that I bought after placing the order for strings).  I haven't heard much of a difference between brands to be honest, but I haven't tried many of the upper end brands.

FWIW.. I'll spill some beans about my brands. I like the feel of the elixers, mainly use them on electrics (10's), and they last forever. On accoustics, the Elixers sound too tinny/brassy, so I have been using D'addarios which sound much better (though I perfer the feel of the elixirs). I've had a few people swear by the DR's, so I'm thinking of giving them a try sometime soon.

Also.. Based on some comments on a differnt thread, I'm thinking of trying a different brand on my Heritage in the hopes if might brighten up the sound a bit . Feel free to suggest something if you have had good experiences with them..

Another vote for the DR "pure blues" strings. The thing I noticed is they feel "softer" to play. 10's play like 9's, and they seem easier to string.

We were turned on to them by Michael Burks (our fave blues player), and their deal on strings at the guitar shows is hard to beat; 13 sets for $50...

Anoter vote for DR here.  Hey Jim, I talked with Michael after they first sent their red colored strings which looked great on his "V".  I use Tite-Fit 10s on my strats and Pure Blues (although I also use EB2251s) on the 535 and LPs.

It may be my imagination, but I think they last longer and take less break in.

I used to use GHS, because of the local connection.  I started playing Ernie Ball guitars about 3 -4 yrs ago and also switched to EB strings (super slinkys, 9-42s) 

This was funny, i do a lot of buying and selling and trading of gear, and one time Sterling Ball called me a crook (eventhough i had spent $1000s of $$ on his guitars), in so many words, on the EB forum one day...we got into a pissing match and i left the EB forum and sold all 6 of my EB guitars! 

But i still use the strings...good strings!

Oh, and then i went back to Heritage guitars and i dont see me playing anything else ;D

I used to use GHS, because of the local connection.  I started playing Ernie Ball guitars about 3 -4 yrs ago and also switched to EB strings (super slinkys, 9-42s) 

This was funny, i do a lot of buying and selling and trading of gear, and one time Sterling Ball called me a crook (eventhough i had spent $1000s of $$ on his guitars), in so many words, on the EB forum one day...we got into a pissing match and i left the EB forum and sold all 6 of my EB guitars! 

But i still use the strings...good strings!

Oh, and then i went back to Heritage guitars and i dont see me playing anything else ;D

Brent, you should have sent Sterling Ball this message and photo!  ;D

Nov. 17, 1973

Nixon tells America, 'I am not a crook'

nov1773.JPG

So, has anyone touched on what Heritage uses as stock on the guitars? I like what's on my 535, but no clue what they are. Or size, for that matter. I'm thinking 10's, but they sure do bend easily.

Archived