Heritage Owners Club

Why no SG Heritages?

DetroitBlues

Has Heritage ever done a Trini Lopez model? I am absolutely in love with the Gibson DG-335 (Dave Grohl model) but they do not make it anymore and they are nowhere to be found on ebay....

Yes, they have made a few. Here is a photo of Marv holding one of these in the prototype room. I think these were made for the artist but then again I might be wrong.

img_8733_std.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, I really think Heritage should start to produce a regular SG-type guitar. By the way, Tokai makes them, and they're quite nice.

I don't think an SG is just a mahogany slab with double cut. There are the body contours that make this guitar way more comfortable than most Heritage guitars I can think of... Plus it looks amazing and much nicer than the 170, that looks a bit like a travel guitar. I also play very differently on an SG than I play on my H150.

I would love an SG-type guitar from Heritage with P90s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDalZ4-53g&feature=related

Hmmm

Perhaps an all mahogany 140... ? :smile_mini2:

From 1984 maybe?

I have an '84 H-140 and its got a maple cap. I started this thread not because I wanted an SG, its was just something that I observed. I feel the H-170 is more like the gibson LP double cutaways.

The Gibson SG era Les Pauls were made during their K-zoo days. Call me lazy if you will for not searching the forums, but why does it seem like every Gibson model has a very similar model with Heritage with exception of an SG? Do they have something against the SG?

I did a discussion on this some time ago.I'd never been comfortable with the Gibson headstock on the S.G.,and I faked a Heritage Head on an S.G. body.I thought the result was stunning.I did say at the time,though that Heritage are there own people,and should not just churn out Heritage made,Gibson designs.Still like the idea,though.Look back in forums-guitars to folder 21,26th September 2010 for more info & reaction.

Peter Alton Green.

post-1702-0-80445700-1299369139_thumb.png

I doubt that Heritage would do it, BUT they did re-introduce the H357 due to HOC demand.

I think we can bring this up at PSP4 and see what they say. I am not an SG Fan, but I understand how others are.

All Heritage can do is politely decline (or shock us and say yes!).

That Heritage Firebird model is beautiful. What is that? (sorry if that's not the actual model name, but didn't want to copy the pic again) If money were no object (I don't think it is, but the wife seems to think it has another purpose other than making me happy) I'd get one of those!

Yes, they have made a few. Here is a photo of Marv holding one of these in the prototype room. I think these were made for the artist but then again I might be wrong.

img_8733_std.jpg

WOW LOOK AT THAT - I can imagine the price tag on that would be $$$$$$$$ :D

Guest HRB853370

The Gibson SG era Les Pauls were made during their K-zoo days. Call me lazy if you will for not searching the forums, but why does it seem like every Gibson model has a very similar model with Heritage with exception of an SG? Do they have something against the SG?

I disagree that Heritage and every Gibson has similar models. But to answer your Q, what would be in it for Heritage to do such a thing? I like that Heritage carefully chooses the models they decide to produce and market and continue to maintain an identity of their own. It made perfect sense for them to produce the 150 as the LP is arguably the most popular electric guitar in the world. They don't want to be a Gibson copy cat and I am happy for that!

As I mentioned before, I was merely pointing out there really isn't a guitar in the Heritage line up that closely resembles a Gibson SG as most of their other guitars do. Back in the day, Heritage even had their superstrat lineup, but not an SG. Just something of a curiosity more than anything else....

Back in the day, Heritage even had their superstrat lineup, but not an SG. Just something of a curiosity more than anything else....

There's an interesting story behind why Heritage even had the SuperStrats to begin with. Not something they wanted to do. But more of something they had to do during a particularly "annoying" time while contending with the big G. There is a direct connection to Fender, of all companies, where the Stats are concerned. It's also why they won't make them anymore. Along with the Tele-looking one. Out of respect for FMC. Pretty cool story. Nothing to do with SGs, but still kinda cool.

But!! on SGs. When I first started playing out SGs were my guitar of choice. More because my "hero" was playing them than anything else. Well, they do look cool. The necks on my first two warped. Could have been my fault, leaving them out all the time. Didn't really know (or care) about guitar care at the time. I did really like the tone, tho'. I would think that any thin, solid mahog body, 2 hb guitar should be able to get darned close to that sound. :dontknow:

Can you guys explain what, besides nostalgia, is the appeal of the SG?

No.

The SG emerged from Gibson when LP sales plummetted. The first SGs were cheaper to make due to the absence of body binding and maple caps. They kept Gibson in the solid body game (where Fender was king) by decreasing the retail charge. As many of you know, they were called Les Pauls then. The SG meant solid guitar.

The positive features are that they can be quickly and cheaply built and are quite a bit lighter than LPs. They also have improved high fret access.

There are some negatives of course. Suffice it to say that Les Paul retracted his endorsement of them and had his name removed from the line.

Having said that, I enjoyed my SGs. I don't have one now. If I ever got one again it would be only for nostalgia. I don't think I've ever bought a guitar for that reason before.

There's an interesting story behind why Heritage even had the SuperStrats to begin with. Not something they wanted to do. But more of something they had to do during a particularly "annoying" time while contending with the big G. There is a direct connection to Fender, of all companies, where the Stats are concerned. It's also why they won't make them anymore. Along with the Tele-looking one. Out of respect for FMC. Pretty cool story. Nothing to do with SGs, but still kinda cool.

But!! on SGs. When I first started playing out SGs were my guitar of choice. More because my "hero" was playing them than anything else. Well, they do look cool. The necks on my first two warped. Could have been my fault, leaving them out all the time. Didn't really know (or care) about guitar care at the time. I did really like the tone, tho'. I would think that any thin, solid mahog body, 2 hb guitar should be able to get darned close to that sound. :dontknow:

I think the Gibson faded series are good for that tone. Who was your hero back then? Angus Young, Carlos Santana, Clapton?

Archived