Heritage Owners Club

Why no SG Heritages?

DetroitBlues

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HRB853370

Never give up a Heritage for a Gibson, especially just an SG....

I would not trade my SG for anything. It is versatile, its a tone machine, and the featherweight body makes it easy to handle. Not everybody likes the neck, but I do. And it is a great ax for learning slide. Do ya think Duane, Derek and others including Gary Rossington used them for slide just by accident? I have seen used ones in almost perfect condition going for around $900 or less. Don't waste your bucks on an Epiphone model, they are junk.

Guest HRB853370

I'm considering a SG for learning to play slide guitar. Might even be an epiphone. I've played an SG and since I'm not a small fellow, it doesn't suite me physically. Looks like a toy guitar on me...

Not to be personal, but just how large of a guy are you?

In 1966 I used my paper route and Howard Johnson's soda fountain clerk money to buy a new SG Jr with one P90 and a twang bar, a Gibson GSS 100 amp, and a Gibson Maestro fuzz box, ( although the maestro might have come a little later ). I loved the feel and the sound of that guitar. I held onto it for about 3 years before selling it to a friend. i'd be very tempted to buy one if Heritage came out with one. I'm kind of tempted to buy one now anyway, but I'll probably wait for Heritage.

Tal

I would not trade my SG for anything. It is versatile, its a tone machine, and the featherweight body makes it easy to handle. Not everybody likes the neck, but I do. And it is a great ax for learning slide. Do ya think Duane, Derek and others including Gary Rossington used them for slide just by accident? I have seen used ones in almost perfect condition going for around $900 or less. Don't waste your bucks on an Epiphone model, they are junk.

I'd hate to dedicate a really nice guitar for only slide. Figured a cheap Epi SG or Squire Tele for learning slide on. But now that I think about it, I'm going to make some more cigar box guitars that are electric. After a little bashing of the SG on my part, I do really like that guitar. I played a SG Classic lately and aboslutely loved it. Got a little lost playing it because its access to the fretboard makes it feel like its twice as long as a Strat or LP.

I had one of these on loan from someone trying to sell it to me a long time ago. Awesome guitar really.

My P-90 SG is very different, but a delight to play.

p2_uivpdakgj_ss.jpg

p3_u5tqrhcn0_so.jpg

All I can say is WOW. Too bad Gibson doesn't still make SG Custom's. Really cool guitar.

All I can say is WOW. Too bad Gibson doesn't still make SG Custom's. Really cool guitar.

The Gibson Custom Shop has made some very nice SG Customs in recent years. Prices are predictably too high, though. And since they are mostly reissues of the '61 SG/Les Paul, they are seriously neck-heavy, too.

The best SG I've owned was a fairly recent ESP Edwards Japanese knock-off of a '61 SG Custom. It had the three pickups, ebony fretboard, nicely shaped body, everything...other than not having genuine mother of pearl inlays. It played fantastic but was also neck-heavy, which is why I sold it.

The Gibson SG era Les Pauls were made during their K-zoo days. Call me lazy if you will for not searching the forums, but why does it seem like every Gibson model has a very similar model with Heritage with exception of an SG? Do they have something against the SG?

I keep getting drawn back to this subject,so there's something at the back of my mind.I had a '59 Les Paul Jnr,in 1963,that I reluctantly sold to fund a 'Strat'.I always regretted it,so I bought a new Les Paul Jnr in the S.G. shape,when I could afford one.It was not the equal of the previous Junior from 1959. The balance was wrong,head heavy,so I only used it,minimally on gigs,as the sessions were long,and it hurt my arm after a while.It was not as versatile as my Gretsch Tennessean.In 1967,I bought the album Les Paul 'Now !,which I still have.I loved this album,as Les had remixed many of his old hits into Phase 4 stereo,and there were guitars flying all over the place.The album cover shows Les sporting a Les Paul S.G. Custom in white.I'd read that Les had withdrawn his endorsement of this instrument,so I was surprised to see him with one on this album.He obviously never used it,and the photo was to publicise the instrument for Gibson.It took other players to find the true worth of the S.G.,not,unfortunately my personal favourite,Les Paul,who I tried to copy,with varying amounts of success.I do like the look of a potential Heritage S.G.type model,with the modern headstock.See my earlier entry for the mock up.

Peter Alton Green. :aggressive_mini:

post-1702-0-52566600-1299941912_thumb.jpg

post-1702-0-14386900-1299941965_thumb.jpg

post-1702-0-65726800-1299942027_thumb.jpg

I, for one, am rather surprised that this thread has kept going on for so long. It would seem more suitable for the Gibson forum. I keep thinking that if one wants an SG, there are many out there, old and new, in Gibson and Epiphone versions, for one to purchase. Heritage is not Gibson and never had any intention nor authorization to duplicate or clone the Gibson catalog offerings. I admire Heritage for producing a limited amount of guitars that are worthy of their attention.

In 1966 I used my paper route and Howard Johnson's soda fountain clerk money to buy a new SG Jr with one P90 and a twang bar, a Gibson GSS 100 amp, and a Gibson Maestro fuzz box, ( although the maestro might have come a little later ). I loved the feel and the sound of that guitar. I held onto it for about 3 years before selling it to a friend. i'd be very tempted to buy one if Heritage came out with one. I'm kind of tempted to buy one now anyway, but I'll probably wait for Heritage.

Tal

Memory lane!

I bought the same Gibson fuzz box from Julius Bellson in person for $25. I was just a kid. Julius, who was one of my mother's bridge partners, and McCarty ruled Gibson at the time. (Another bridge partner was Paul Winegar, who played Wishbone on the series "Rawhide".)

An SG with a single pick up in the bridge, Humbucker or P90, would be a fantastic stripped back guitar, but the headsdtock would have to be a bit on the small side to compliment the smaller body.

However, I can see why Heritage don't make the SG.

I had one of these on loan from someone trying to sell it to me a long time ago. Awesome guitar really.

p2_uivpdakgj_ss.jpg

p3_u5tqrhcn0_so.jpg

That's a beautiful guitar but it looks like it's in a casket.

THIS ONE'S FOR KUZ!

post-1759-0-33365800-1299866738_thumb.jpg

Girl or not I am about ready to drop you!!! My Tele is salmon, I tell you!!!!!! :icon_biggrin: LOL

Girl or not I am about ready to drop you!!! My Tele is salmon, I tell you!!!!!! :icon_biggrin: LOL

He's right. But his panties are pink.

p2_uivpdakgj_ss.jpg

p3_u5tqrhcn0_so.jpg

that's my dream SG right there!!!

As far as Heritage SGs...the H 125 is about the closest they ever got...i had a chance to buy one of these a couple yrs ago and kick myself for not jumping on it. Its like the Exterminator, STAT DLX, H 127, etc...VERY FEW MADE.

scan0012.jpg

Archived