Heritage Owners Club

Why no SG Heritages?

DetroitBlues

The Gibson SG era Les Pauls were made during their K-zoo days. Call me lazy if you will for not searching the forums, but why does it seem like every Gibson model has a very similar model with Heritage with exception of an SG? Do they have something against the SG?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are Heritages that don't have any Gibson counterparts and that are more Fender inspired or pure Heritage (Litle One!). And there are quite a few Gibsons that have no Heritage counterparts. These include many LP variants, the Barney Kessel, Trini Lopez, Howard Roberts, Byrdland, etc. But you are correct about the SGs being MIA.

I do wish the Explorer, Flying V, or Firebird styles were still being made by Heritage. I can understand why they don't as those are not exactly flying of the shelves for Gibson and Heritage needs to keep their costs down. SG is an interesting guitar and popular guitar, but I've seen some of the other styles made by Heritage though.

yes. The men here, who have an H 357 absolutely love them. Something about the balance of the weight of the guitar, etc.

But I would submit to you that I think the H 137 is similar to the SG in that it's a mahogany slab guitar, and double cut. I think it's better, because it's not out of balance, weight-wise, as the SG is. The SG seems neck-heavy and, whereas the 137 is perfectly balanced.

yes. The men here, who have an H 357 absolutely love them. Something about the balance of the weight of the guitar, etc.

But I would submit to you that I think the H 137 is similar to the SG in that it's a mahogany slab guitar, and double cut. I think it's better, because it's not out of balance, weight-wise, as the SG is. The SG seems neck-heavy and, whereas the 137 is perfectly balanced.

The exception to that general rule was a triple pickup SG Custom I had from the 1960s. The thin neck and extra metal seem to balance it out. Most of them tend to rotate clockwise when standing though and are prone to dings or worse.

I concur!

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/heritage_guitars/heritage-h-137-dc-lefty.html

The H-137 is comparable to a late 50's Les Paul Special or LP Jr to me. Previous to the SG model years.

Wow. That is a great looking guitar. Did not know Heritage did this model.

I knew of this model and its one of my favorites for sure. Someone on the Detroit CL is trying to sell a Gibson Firebird III for $5K. Almost fell of my chair laughing.

Wow. That is a great looking guitar. Did not know Heritage did this model.

Yes! And now we gotta have one in Lefty, right, Assumer! ; )

Here is an '86 H-170.. this edition was closer to an SG than the later ones, with pointed horns and thinner body.

med_gallery_139_46_500419.jpg

My '89 H-140CM reminds me of an SG when playing it. The combination of the thin body and the shallow neck angle contribute to that feel...

a20110212012432.JPG

Here is an '86 H-170.. this edition was closer to an SG than the later ones, with pointed horns and thinner body.

med_gallery_139_46_500419.jpg

My '89 H-140CM reminds me of an SG when playing it. The combination of the thin body and the shallow neck angle contribute to that feel...

a20110212012432.JPG

I can agree with you on that.

Where I stray From D-Blues and F-Zepp is those have a maple cap. Granted, those will probably get you as close as any publicly available model will get you.

...but I know of a model that would get you scarily close... should you ever find one. B)

This one is a 2010. I love it!

img_2896_std.jpg

Rob's SUPER super.

Greg's 575s.

Kenny's Prospect (and Milli).

Fred's Centurion.

Patrick's Sunset Eagle.

Brent's H 357.

Who's got the Sunset 575?

Maybe my 535 P-90 (or maybe the Florentine Eagle)?

Randy's 525.

And Ron's masterpiece custom H 357.

And all the other BEAUTIFUL HERITAGES!!!!

Boys, we are lucky.... someday, hopefully later than sooner....they will say....."They just don't make them like that anymore!!!!"

Where I stray From D-Blues and F-Zepp is those have a maple cap. Granted, those will probably get you as close as any publicly available model will get you.

...but I know of a model that would get you scarily close... should you ever find one. B)

Hmmm

Perhaps an all mahogany 140... ? :smile_mini2:

From 1984 maybe?

Hmmm

Perhaps an all mahogany 140... ? :smile_mini2:

From 1984 maybe?

1" thick all-mahogany body

24.75" scale

Rosewood fretboard.

What it gives up in body width to the SG, it gains some of it back in the carved top. (The geometry will make the tone different a little but the similar mass will keep it close.)

It is indeed, the A serial 140. B) Based on my experience, I bet that guitar RESONATES LIKE MAD!

If I get a custom 140 one day, I hope the boys will make it like the mythical A serial for me but with a couple of P90s. My father in law has one. I still havent made it up there to play it. :( Based on the construction, it will be VERY difficult for this guitar to NOT sound like an SG.

If they will let me order it that way, it will be dubbed H140A.

Archived