Heritage Owners Club

Help me build a 535!

barrymclark

I'm confused I thought a 535 with p-90 was a 530.. same guitar just one has dog ear p-90's

p1_ubldkx3t4_st.jpg

p1_uxvjh4t0q_st.jpg

BigBob,

I think the 530 is a hollow body guitar, and the 535 has a center block. That would be the differnce. pups are your choice on either of them.

BigBob,

I think the 530 is a hollow body guitar, and the 535 has a center block. That would be the differnce. pups are your choice on either of them.

You are correct the H-530 is a full hollowbody. I know because I have one and love it.

post-194-0-63336700-1299858384_thumb.jpg

A recent sale was made (Thanks, Lance)and I am trying to turn that sale into a 535 for me. It will take me some time to come up with the dough for it, but I wanna try and save up for a new one.

What I am positive I want:

A mostly standard 535 but with the wood upgrade (like the anniversary models).

The finish I am 99% sure I am going to get it to match my 575 (trans black back/rim and what I think is antique natural top). Still holding on to the 1% for something else that really makes me flip.

The pickups though... that I am not sure on. I am pretty positive that I would like the 59's. Just wanna get some opinions.

I REALLY love the Seth Lovers in my 575. I really dig playing early rock and rockabilly and also learning jazz tunes and pretending like I can honestly play jazz. haha.

So, I really love the 50's ish tone.

Any thoughts?

Sounds great. Regarding pups, I have a 535 23rd Anniversary and love it and would not change a thing. That being said, though it has SD Seth Lovers, if I were building a 535, I would go with SD Pearly gates. I believe the Pearly gates are better than the Seth Lovers and the '59s. Better than the Seth Lovers because of wax potting and better tone the the '59s. I know that no one speaks of them here but I have a matched pair of SD Pearly gates in a PRS and they blow away the stock PRS pups as well as just about any other pus I have tried. More bit when you want it and more tone when you don't. Very responsive. Even Seymour Duncan says the Pearly Gates is a better, improved '59. You will avoid possible feedback issue from the Seth Lovers especially in a semi-hollowbody. I just pulled a Seth Lover out of a Gibby Les Paul for feedback issues and the semi-hollowbody will only be worse.

The Seths would be awesome in a 535. But I'd tend to try something different since you're already using a set of those in another guitar, I like setting guitars up to sound a bit different from each other.

I'm happy with the '59's in a 150 , they are a pretty versatile pickup. I don't have Pearly Gates, but that sounds interesting....

Sounds great. Regarding pups, I have a 535 23rd Anniversary and love it and would not change a thing. That being said, though it has SD Seth Lovers, if I were building a 535, I would go with SD Pearly gates. I believe the Pearly gates are better than the Seth Lovers and the '59s. Better than the Seth Lovers because of wax potting and better tone the the '59s. I know that no one speaks of them here but I have a matched pair of SD Pearly gates in a PRS and they blow away the stock PRS pups as well as just about any other pus I have tried. More bit when you want it and more tone when you don't. Very responsive. Even Seymour Duncan says the Pearly Gates is a better, improved '59. You will avoid possible feedback issue from the Seth Lovers especially in a semi-hollowbody. I just pulled a Seth Lover out of a Gibby Les Paul for feedback issues and the semi-hollowbody will only be worse.

I had the Pearly Gates bridge in my Les Paul for a number of years and loved it. Great sound. I found the PG neck to be dark however. It was great cranked up and got a killer "Still got the Blues" tone but clean I just found it muddy. I ended up with an Antiquity neck and that was my set up for many years. Personally never really cared for the stock '59s. Nice, but nothing special. The Seth Lovers however effin' kill in a semi-hollowbody. I wish I had my original 535 back - I've never had a humbucker equipped guitar sound so good...

After digging around, my favorite sound from an H535 (or similarly built) guitar had Seths in it. The 59's were pretty nice too. The P90's sounded really slick. Just gonna have to think on this one. I would say it is probably between the Seths and the P90's as it stands.

I love the Seths in mine..Just beautiful, fat snappy tone..but you really couldn't go wrong with P-90's either..Unless 60 cycle hum really bothers you..not much help, I know..Sorry.. :icon_cyclops:

535 25th Anniversary w/Seth Lovers

Burnt Amber top w/Translucent Black back/rim

Black plastics (switch tip, knobs, p'up rings)

Otherwise stock.

Going with Seths to emphasize the difference in the guitars without electronics.

The trick is hanging on to the money I already have set aside for it and, even trickier, coming up with the rest. The way things have been going this guitar may be off in the future more than I'd like. All things going well, may be ordering in June.

Archived