Heritage Owners Club

Help me build a 535!

barrymclark

A recent sale was made (Thanks, Lance)and I am trying to turn that sale into a 535 for me. It will take me some time to come up with the dough for it, but I wanna try and save up for a new one.

What I am positive I want:

A mostly standard 535 but with the wood upgrade (like the anniversary models).

The finish I am 99% sure I am going to get it to match my 575 (trans black back/rim and what I think is antique natural top). Still holding on to the 1% for something else that really makes me flip.

The pickups though... that I am not sure on. I am pretty positive that I would like the 59's. Just wanna get some opinions.

I REALLY love the Seth Lovers in my 575. I really dig playing early rock and rockabilly and also learning jazz tunes and pretending like I can honestly play jazz. haha.

So, I really love the 50's ish tone.

Any thoughts?

Can't go wrong with Seth Lovers. I like them the best. 59s are good too. Seths just seem to have that vintage tone.

Why not get a H-555 with all the bells and whistles? Bindings and all.

Can't go wrong with Seth Lovers. I like them the best. 59s are good too. Seths just seem to have that vintage tone.

Why not get a H-555 with all the bells and whistles? Bindings and all.

Just not me. I like simple yet elegant. Classy yet subdued. Those done up ones are very pretty, just not me.

I am also thinking P90s.

Whoa, fellas. Haha. One guitar at a time. Haha. Definitely shooting for a 535. I have two full hollows with the 575 and Gretsch 6120.

Heard a 535 with P90's once and thought that was a pretty gnarly sounding guitar.

I'm confused I thought a 535 with p-90 was a 530.. same guitar just one has dog ear p-90's

p1_ubldkx3t4_st.jpg

p1_uxvjh4t0q_st.jpg

I like Seths, I like 59'ers when I am looking for vintage tone... My advise HRW's with VIP harness, they are wax potted, coiltappable and with the upgraded wiring you can cover amazing levels of tone.

Everything else is second best!

Baaaaa

Instead of the VIP w/ toggle switches, I'd say get the coil tapping, out-of-phase, and in-a-series with push/pull knobs. Just personal preference, I guess, but I like the look w/out any extra switches, and there is nothing extra either to look at or to accidentally flip (it's hard to accidentally split your coils or go out-of-phase when it involves pulling the volume or tone knobs out away from your guitar). It seems unlikely that would happen either way, but the push/pull knobs are a nice visual non-factor.

Finishes; there are some really nice Antique Natural finishes. Really nice. I'd consider Antique Sunburst as well;

med_gallery_1051_3_394703.jpg

med_gallery_328_8_175855.jpg

Or Old Style Sunburst;

5468724571_4ded6d55bd_b.jpg

med_gallery_139_41_39399.jpg

Other than that, woods (if you want anything other than the Mahogany neck w/ Maple body), neck thickness/profile, fret size, pickups, tuners (locking or not, color, etc.), bridge, and whatever binding & inlays you want (or not). Obviously. Just things that you might want to run through and decide if you want anything OTHER than stock (which really, you might not).

Or Old Style Sunburst;

med_gallery_139_41_39399.jpg

Hey!! Thats my old H157!! Sold it to Cosmikdebris, who promptly disappeared from the forum shortly after. Hmmmmmm.

Oh, and on the H535 build ------- tulip tuners. :icon_thumright:

Yeah, I just looked for finishes I liked in the Gallery section, and voila!

As for Cosmikdebris, maybe after the H-157 he had all the guitar he needed and now spends his free time playing and not on the HOC. ;) That's started happening to me (had a nice time practicing on the Prospect tonight).

Come on dude, get one like this with the TV Jones humbucker fitted pups. You know this is what you want..... :icon_thumright:

img_4287_std.jpg

I'm confused I thought a 535 with p-90 was a 530.. same guitar just one has dog ear p-90's

The 530 doesn't have a centre block, BB. Fabulous guitar though :)

If you're split between humbuckers and P90s, get the body cut for humbuckers. That way you can fit humbuckers or a humbucker-sized P90 like a Phat Cat.

If you're split between humbuckers and P90s, get the body cut for humbuckers. That way you can fit humbuckers or a humbucker-sized P90 like a Phat Cat.

Thing is, I know I'd be happy with either. The reason I am thinking of P90's, other than just having a different flavor, is that I love the older guitar tones. That mid 50's jazz and early rock sound.

I figured that the 535 would be a great back up to the 575 but be very, very different.

As others have said, can't go wrong with the Seth lovers. They really do get a great vintage tone that is great for jazz, clean, rockabilly, classic rock, etc. I have them in my Millennium 158 that I just got, as well as my Hamer Newport.

Or, you could always get some p-rails with the triple shot switching system.

Here's a great demo on youtube:

Yeah, I am really leaning towards Seths.

One thing I really dig about the finish of my 575 is the contrast of the top to back. I saw a 575 on here that had a natural finish on the mahogany.

Top-Detail-Sm.jpg

That is really nice.

I had thought about maybe burnt amber for the back/rim and antique natural for the top.

p1_ubldkx3t4_st.jpg

p1_uxvjh4t0q_st.jpg

Nope, they make a 535 with P-90s and it has a center block.

Did I mention I have the first production one ever made??!!! :icon_thumright:

Precious-2.jpg

A recent sale was made (Thanks, Lance)and I am trying to turn that sale into a 535 for me. It will take me some time to come up with the dough for it, but I wanna try and save up for a new one.

What I am positive I want:

A mostly standard 535 but with the wood upgrade (like the anniversary models).

The finish I am 99% sure I am going to get it to match my 575 (trans black back/rim and what I think is antique natural top). Still holding on to the 1% for something else that really makes me flip.

The pickups though... that I am not sure on. I am pretty positive that I would like the 59's. Just wanna get some opinions.

I REALLY love the Seth Lovers in my 575. I really dig playing early rock and rockabilly and also learning jazz tunes and pretending like I can honestly play jazz. haha.

So, I really love the 50's ish tone.

Any thoughts?

If you're going for a custom order, might as well go with the Fralins or HRW's. I personally perfer Gibson BB's. Howewver, if you like Duncans, you can go to their website and listen to audio clips of all the pup's to help you decided. I'm a blues/rock player and I chose a Jazz pup for the neck of my guitar...

If you don't go with P-90s, then I would definitely go with SETHs (Unless you go the boutique pickup route like Throbaks, Peter Florence, or Tom Short. For what it's worth, you could get Tom Short's pickups for the same price as Seths).

If you don't go with P-90s, then I would definitely go with SETHs (Unless you go the boutique pickup route like Throbaks, Peter Florence, or Tom Short. For what it's worth, you could get Tom Short's pickups for the same price as Seths).

Not to mention Tom Short is a stellar guy to work with on a custom set

" . . . I really dig playing early rock and rockabilly and also learning jazz tunes . . . So, I really love the 50's ish tone. Any thoughts?"

From your description, you could go the Seymour Duncan P-90 Stack route with series/parallel switching: P-90 Stack.

Archived