Heritage Owners Club

NGD she's here

big bob

Lance is that a 140? If it is that thing should scream. Wasn't a big fan of blue until lately. Between this one, Doc G'c satin and some of Guy's I'm really starting to like those type tops. Nice One!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just going off topic a bit, Barry, have you replaced it with anything?

Nice project Lance, I am a great believer in making something your own.

working on getting a 535 to replace it. Money hasn't been as kind these days so it may be a couple months. Sitting on the money from this until the storms pass a bit.

Lance is that a 140? If it is that thing should scream. Wasn't a big fan of blue until lately. Between this one, Doc G'c satin and some of Guy's I'm really starting to like those type tops. Nice One!

Yes a H code 140, I'm gonna like this project.. But man is this thing thin, people told me 140 were thin, but WOW thin and light.

would steaming the back pop out the worming without damaging the finish? I have one or two guitars with a LITTLE worming, but nothing like that.

I would be afraid the moisture would expand the wood and I would have even more finish problems. I may try a heat iron and a damp hand towel to raise some of it.

Yes a H code 140, I'm gonna like this project.. But man is this thing thin, people told me 140 were thin, but WOW thin and light.

Yes, I can see already that this is a good project for you..

And while 140s have a Les Paul look to a degree... they certainly feel different due to the thinner body and the neck angle. They are a blast to play.

working on getting a 535 to replace it. Money hasn't been as kind these days so it may be a couple months. Sitting on the money from this until the storms pass a bit.

I know exactly how you feel, it is the same with us, there is no money for guitars with us just now, we are working on trying to get better times back, but I just think to myself one day I will add another to the other three, only one of which is a Heritage. A 535 is a superb guitar, I like the one Kuz has with the P90's and wineburst finish. Good luck for getting though, I will look forward to seeing some pictures.

I know exactly how you feel, it is the same with us, there is no money for guitars with us just now, we are working on trying to get better times back, but I just think to myself one day I will add another to the other three, only one of which is a Heritage. A 535 is a superb guitar, I like the one Kuz has with the P90's and wineburst finish. Good luck for getting though, I will look forward to seeing some pictures.

I am just getting the details together where I can just order if and when I feel comfy letting go of that dough.

I am pretty sure I will get a finish matching the 575 I have. The pickups I am not settled on though. Gonna talk to Graham Monday and get his input and put it with all the input I have been getting from people responding to my thread.

well today went quick, I buffed the body out with rubbing compound and a auto body buffer. It helped some but not much. the worming was still very pronounced and the top and neck has lots of scratches that just bugged me. So I did what any red blooded American man would do... I went to band practice, we played for almost four hours. great time .. then after dinner I wet sanded the back of the guitar with 600 grit paper and mineral spirits, Made a huge difference. then I wet sanded the whole body (top,neck,back,sides)with 800 grit, looking great. Next buff the whole thing down again with rubbing compound.. I will say the history of the worming is still there, but more like a relic than like a guy with a rodeo belt buckle rubbed her for a year.. tomorrow I will use swirl remover and then wax her down..

Pics to follow..

Ok, I need some advice. when I started the worming on the back was horible

002-1.jpg003-1.jpg

and the front had a fair share of wear. 024.jpg

I hit the front with 800 grit wet paper, and the back with 600, then 800. after that both sides were hit with a buffer and rubbing compound 1200 grit then polishing compound.

the front looks stunning, however still has small swirlies. On the back the worming is gone but there is still pitting from the deeper stuff. my dilemma is this, the finish at this point is thin, I have worn through the color on the back (and a small fixable spot on the front) so any further work will result in more of a relic thing. Or I could mask off the fretboard and shoot three or four coats of clear nitro, then continue the smoothing. or I could leave it as is.

014-1.jpg012-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

Agreed. :icon_thumleft:

I wouldn't have thought you could get the worming out. You mention grits, but not a tool. Is it an orbital sander with micro cover? Cloth and elbow grease?

Paper (600/800) by hand rubbing/polishing compound orbital auto buffer.

It looks so great I would continue and shoot here with the nitro and then buff to a mirror shine (rinse & repeat :icon_biggrin: )

Archived