Heritage Owners Club

H575 Top Separation from the Side

bnmartin54

Hi,

I'm new and looking to acquire my first Heritage in order to become a "full fledged member" of this club. Please forward any relevant posts I may have missed on this topic.

There's an instrument of interest currently on eBay that has some sort of separation between the soundboard and the side on the lower bout (see below). The seller says this is an easy fix. Maybe - I don't know. My concern is that the instrument might have been dropped or otherwise banged around (perhaps in the case?) as none of the pictures seem to indicate other damage. Even so, is this a common type of issue with archtops? Is it an easy fix? Or, is it best to move on?

Thanks,

Bob // Eagan MN

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360350901443&category=22966&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_6460wt_952

From ebay ad... GUITAR IS IN GOOD CONDITION, WITH SOME BELT BUCKLE MARKING ON THE BACK, AND SOME LIGHT MARKING ON THE FRONT, PLECTRUM MARKINGS, MISSING THE PICK GUARD, SMALL AMOUNT OF SEPARATION AT THE BOTTOM END, NEEDS GLUED AND CLAMPED AN EASY FIX, SEE PHOTOS,

DSC_0653_001.JPGDSC_0654_001.JPG

Hi Bob,

Plenty of experts here on this stuff, I'm not. I will say that it strikes me strange that if it is an easy fix, the seller would have it done himself and then reap the higher selling price. Plenty others available in good shape. I am a nervous nellie regarding any remote sales let alone a fixer upper. I like to check out guitars in person.

BTY, I live in NJ but used to work for a company based in Egan. Jack Bakers still around? Loved their huge beer glasses and ribs.

We have some other MN members in your area I believe.

Its a risk no matter what you do. It appears this is one of those guitars that was never properly maintained. The wood has lost its shape and seperated from the perfing. That may require a lot more work than what the guitar is worth. I'd bet the seller knows this and that's why its on Ebay. Even the truss rod cover is broken. A lot of trouble in a softshell case... I'd pass on it even if it was offered at $500!

I appreciate the welcomes, insight and wisdom expressed. Someone else had previously indicated to me that a 'crack' occurs under conditions of stress and that the wood cracks (or bindings separate et al) when the stress is greater than the strength of the wood is unable to withstand the stress. Perhaps that's an indication that this instrument, with it's solid wood top and sides, got very dry and the wood shrank? If so, that coincides with other's observations re the soft case, non original volume/tone knobs and truss rod cover (that I hadn't noticed) inclinations to hold off and/or look elsewhere. My apologies for not posting the pictures instead of the link - silly me not thinking to do that for everyone's convenience.

I think the restaurant you're thinking of, Hfan, is Al Baker's. It's still there and doing well.

Best to all.

Bob

BNMartin~ Welcome to the family. 575's come up fairly regularly on Ebay. I'd recommend steering clear of the one with the separation and save for a better example. You may never know what really caused the separation or if there are more surprises to come. There are signs of impact to the lower bout and it may have been exposed to either extreme dryness or hig humidity.

Buying a guitar should not cause stress. This one has stress written all over it. Good luck with your search.

I appreciate the welcomes, insight and wisdom expressed. Someone else had previously indicated to me that a 'crack' occurs under conditions of stress and that the wood cracks (or bindings separate et al) when the stress is greater than the strength of the wood is unable to withstand the stress. Perhaps that's an indication that this instrument, with it's solid wood top and sides, got very dry and the wood shrank? If so, that coincides with other's observations re the soft case, non original volume/tone knobs and truss rod cover (that I hadn't noticed) inclinations to hold off and/or look elsewhere. My apologies for not posting the pictures instead of the link - silly me not thinking to do that for everyone's convenience.

I think the restaurant you're thinking of, Hfan, is Al Baker's. It's still there and doing well.

Best to all.

Bob

Ah yes it's coming back to me been a long time. I'd check out the for sale section here, many established and trust worthy members have done multiple sales here. It is the only remote source I would consider.

Best to all.

Bob

Chances are you'll have a better time buying from an HOC member that has a great rep with the other HOC members. Not to mention a better deal than Ebay, Craigslist, or any where else to find a second hand Heritage guitar.

Archived