Heritage Owners Club

Opinions are like....

yoslate

There is a greater chance of Zsa Zsa Gabor giving birth than agreement on pickups.

http://www.inquisitr.com/104155/dr-gupta-says-zsa-zsa-baby-wont-happen/

I have a set of Fralin PAFs I really like on a semihollow. http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp

It is hard to go wrong with SD Seths though.

THAT'S a great line.

There are so many legit PAF style pup's. I know, for me, to have this conversation is to hear folks TRY to put words to what they were hearing that they wanted to change, and what they got when they went with brand XX. If someone says something I resonate with, then I'll make a note and add it to the list of possibilities.

In some ways, it's like me sayin, "Hey guys, I want to paint my living room, what color should I go with?" It's LUDICROUS...you don't know the size of the room, whether it gets any sun, the fact that I have cantaloupe colored shag carpeting that I'm keeping....it's the same. You guys don't know my amp, my tastes, what I hear....doesn't mean you can't share your experience and let me decide whether or not to take it to heart.

Good stuff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you guys know, I took the SD's out of my first 150, and put in a set of Harmonic Design Z-90s which I like pretty well.However, now that I have the Goldtop w/p90s as my second 150, the first one is just sitting there on the stand looking a little sorrowful again. Today a set of Throbak pg102's came up on the Bay and I grabbed them for $390. We're gonna perk that old 150 up yet!!!!! If they work as expected I may sell the SD's and the Z90's.

As you guys know, I took the SD's out of my first 150, and put in a set of Harmonic Design Z-90s which I like pretty well.However, now that I have the Goldtop w/p90s as my second 150, the first one is just sitting there on the stand looking a little sorrowful again. Today a set of Throbak pg102's came up on the Bay and I grabbed them for $390. We're gonna perk that old 150 up yet!!!!! If they work as expected I may sell the SD's and the Z90's.

Hey, congrats on scoring some throbaks, Don. Looking forward to what you think of them.

I also was thinking of trying their solution, but their pots are just standard CTS pots with +or- 1% tolerance. RS Guitarworks actually has pots of higher custom made quality for the guitar and are supposedly made with better components as well as the values and curve or taper for Volume and Tone are different. In other words, MojoTone uses standard pots of higher tolerances, RS Guitarworks has gone to the next level and has them built for specific measurements even higher than the standard 500k ohm limits. In the end, I believe that RS Guitarworks components are superior.

+100000000000000

If you do not like the THROBAKS I will give you what you paid for them. They are my favorite pickup!

Can I testify? Can I get a witness? Man...so many of you guys were dead on it. You were dead on it about the Seths, and you were dead on it about 535's! Real gig last night. First time out for the 535 to be paid. A venue we play once a month. Didn't hurt that, once it filled up (for the first time in quite a while), everybody stayed to the bitter end. Used the same rig, with the same settings I had test driven at Thursday's jam. Didn't touch a thing. We've been rehearsing once a week for next month's blues festival, and playing very regularly, both of which have had the predictable effect. But I was over the moon last night. Rich, creamy, thick tone with singing sustain. Played a lot in the middle position, just blending tone and volume pots, with a little FullTone pedal now and then. Miles Davis All Blues to The Stones Honky Tonk Women...had every bit of it covered with some of the best tone I've ever enjoyed! Could not put that 535 down! Could not! And what a pleasure to play that amazingly responsive instrument. That wood lives! And those Seth Lovers really deliver!

Not going to say I told you so.....

Super, super, glad it worked out. For a long time, I thought with your style of playing that the 535 would be a PERFECT fit. Now don't forget that "neglect is a form of abuse" so if that "Grail" is not needed anymore, I'd be happy to keep it in the rotation!!! :icon_biggrin:

Awesome... The middle position is addictive with Seth's. Everytime I start thinking about swapping the Seths out of my H150 I get lucky enough to get an electric gig or jam and I walk away vowing to never swap them out. They seem to respond to the volume of whats going on around or something. Love them.

Which Fulltone stomp are you using?

Wow Don, those are going to sound great! Let me know if you make the Z90s available, I'm thinking of converting my 535...

Hey, congrats on scoring some throbaks, Don. Looking forward to what you think of them.

If you do not like the THROBAKS I will give you what you paid for them. They are my favorite pickup!

Thanks guys, I'm so looking forward to the Peter Green sound. It will really fill out my sonic possibilites combined with my Gold Top, my 535, and my "Eric Johnson" Strat. Should have all the blues bases well covered.

Rob - that is great news!!!!! It really pleases me to hear you gush about the 535 - still my all time favorite guitar also!!!! I hope you can post a couple of vids sometime.

Which Fulltone stomp are you using?

Full-drive 2, Jeff. I bought it from Kenny (tulk1), and I think you'd made suggestions, at the time I purchased it, about some settings I might try.

Archived