Heritage Owners Club

Opinions are like....

yoslate

Well.... I didn't want to highjack kidsmoke's thread, but I have a similar issue. Here 'tis. I've recently come into a beautiful ASB 535, which is a killer player and resonates like the bells in Notre Dame (the French one...). I don't want to swing this in any one particular direction, so I'm being intentionally vague, just to see what anyone has to "allow" (a Southern-ism, meaning to offer, render, or hold forth). Here it all sits, on the bench, in front of you:

killer 535

pair of Duncan Seth Lovers

pair of Duncan APH-1's

pair of Duncan Phat Cats

pair of Gibson Burstbucker type 2's

Unlike Big Bob, you may not install all of these p'ups into the guitar. The guitar needs two. Which two, and why those? Thanks for playing our game....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.... I didn't want to highjack kidsmoke's thread, but I have a similar issue. Here 'tis. I've recently come into a beautiful ASB 535, which is a killer player and resonates like the bells in Notre Dame (the French one...). I don't want to swing this in any one particular direction, so I'm being intentionally vague, just to see what anyone has to "allow" (a Southern-ism, meaning to offer, render, or hold forth). Here it all sits, on the bench, in front of you:

killer 535

pair of Duncan APH-1's

pair of Duncan Phat Cats

Unlike Big Bob, you may not install all of these p'ups into the guitar. The guitar needs two. Which two, and why those? Thanks for playing our game....

The Phat Cats because you still want the low end on both positions and the clarity in the neck position. They probably match your style of playing best, which calls for a pinch of edge when you lean into it.

The Seths are always going to have an artifact of the unpotted edge present and while the Seth is quite clear for neck position as far as cutting through, the low end isn't quite there. Recall your style of playing. I should say the best sounding H150 I have heard had Seths in it, but we are talking 535 here.

I have several guitars with the APH-1s in them and they are great pickups, but maybe more geared for continuous attack. They were actually born out of single coil pups (APS-1) and sound best when driven.

I can't speak to the Gibson pups, as I have never used the particular model mentioned.

The Phat Cats because you still want the low end on both positions and the clarity in the neck position. They probably match your style of playing best, which calls for a pinch of edge when you lean into it.

The Seths are always going to have an artifact of the unpotted edge present and while the Seth is quite clear for neck position as far as cutting through, the low end isn't quite there. Recall your style of playing. I should say the best sounding H150 I have heard had Seths in it, but we are talking 535 here.

I have several guitars with the APH-1s in them and they are great pickups, but maybe more geared for continuous attack. They were actually born out of single coil pups (APS-1) and sound best when driven.

I can't speak to the Gibson pups, as I have never used the particular model mentioned.

Don't you already have Phat Cats in something, Rob? Not that it would hurt to have them in another, but I REALLY like the Seth Lovers in my Millenium; not the same guitar as a 535, but semihollow, none the less. Sweet, sweet sound, and can get rock and roll-y. I'm not familiar with the APS-1 pickups, but I've never been real crazy about the Burstbuckers. Too harsh or aggressive for my taste. Whatever you choose, it's not the end of the world if you decide you need something "different." Good Luck!

You have the Phat Cats tone covered in two guitars.

Install the Seth Lovers.... plug into "Felix".... adjust volume & tone to taste.... and just rock the F***** thing!!!!

(In all seriousness, install the Seths or buy another set of Tom Shorts. It is cost prohibitive to keep changing pups on a Semi, so put the pups in you know you like and play the hell of it!!!)

I'm not familiar w/the Burstbuckers or APH-1s, so don't have enough info to really give value input. But that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion...

You know I like seths in my 535 and I like the phat cat in the neck of the 555. Given what's already been pointed out on your phat-catedness, I'd be tempted to go seth neck and whichever of the bridge pus on those 2 unknowns (to me) that you have. Not that I don't like the seth bridge - I do - but I kinda like a bit hotter bridge, too.

I tend to think of these things in terms of ...what sort of sound do I not have in my collection that I could get from this new guitar? Seems to me you have the phat cat/hollow body thing covered, so where do you want this guitar to put you tonally that is different from your other 'bucker guitars? Hotter, less hot, mid/high emphasis? I'd pick as specific a tone target as I could and then try to research the pickups most likely to hit that target. But then, opinions and all ...

I really like the Phat Cats in my Bird. They do the job of getting the sound out of my guitar and to the amp with the least amount of coloring from the pups. That will let your amp do the job it was intended to do unmolested. This is a reason I like the Schallers.

I don't see the 535 sounding like the Super or the 150 just because they have similar pups. These guitars are too different structurally for that to happen.

That said, take this thread to Cuba and no one gets hurt!

I like the sound of the Seths in my Milli LE.

I always felt the Seth Lovers and APH1s were "kissing cousins". Both on the warm side, a bit different in the upper mids. I could easily be happy with either. I've only played the burstbuckers once and they didn't knock me over.

I've got Seth's in my 555 both neck and bridge. Really like the tone and versatility. My H-150 has Burstbucker Pros in it and I'm going to swith to SD 59's. The BBs are (IMO) a little to high and can get a little tinny.

Agree with the comment put in what you know and play the s**t out of it!

Thier all about the same, like i always say the musicians playing will make the guitar sound the way you want it, not the pickups. The tone of the guitar can be dialed in by the tone controls on the guitar and amp. Personally I think alot of people spend alot of money and time trying to find componets to add to the guitar to make them sound better, but in all honesty its thier playing skills that make the difference. JMO

I think that the amp you use would be a the much more important equation. humbuckers are humbuckers and singles are singles, in the end the pickup is just a magnet. Some just a little stronger than others. Not going to effect sound just the output, which in turn can just as easily be dialed in with a good amp setting.

I have played a long time and have had every kind of guitar and pickup you can imagine but in the end they all are close to one another and arnt going to turn any heads more than the other, but your playing skills do everytime. Good amp and lots of practice makes an awsome sounding player. But I have only played for 23 years and owned every piece of equipment and guitar & (PICKUPS!) imagineable, what do I know? :icon_thumright:

Hmmmm, thinking if you put the Gibs BB's in a Heritage something is going to spontaneously combust. Sorta like when Richard Pryor mixed skim and whole milk. Dangerous combination.

You've already got Phat Cats and I think you'd like to do something else.

Not all that familiar with APH-1's, so can't comment.

That leave Seths. And with your style of playing ............... who are we kidding, it won't matter.

What's wrong with the Schallers?

Without a doubt it has to be the Seymour-Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker PATB-2 model. I would lay dollars to doughnuts that Tal Farlow would have endorsed them personally, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the next Heritage Kenny Burrell model has them as the standard offering.

Or not.

Great Thread Yoslate, seems we're in exactly the same boat, a new ASB 535 that we're looking to give a new voice to.

I included this article in the other thread as well, but I do think it's worth the few minutes it takes to read. Author goes into great detail on his swapping of various PAF style p'ups, including Seth Lovers and Burstbuckers.

He's doing all this in an LP, but he does give a good explanation of tonal differences he experiences going from one to another.

http://www.legendarytones.com/vinpicup2.html

As for the Schallers. I know that some people love them while others don't but I've never heard technical data. What are they? Alnico II or V? What's the output?

Yo~ It really is up to you to select what tones you want from your new 535. But since you asked...

I liked the Phat Cats in my Goldtop 535. The P90'ish note clarity and definition was there, plus there was a great bottom end. Also there was never a muddy note in the neck position.

That being said, I longed for the warmth and mid-range that only an alnico II PAF style humbucker could give. So I swapped out the Phat Cats and installed a set of Seths. Whoa baby, now I have the clarity, definition, adequate bottom end (I use 11's) AND a very sweet midrange with subtle dynamics when over-driven.

We can offer opinions based on our own tastes, music styles and playing abilities, but trust your own ears. You have the benefit of already having a semi-hollow with Phat Cats to give you an idea of what they will sound like in your bigger bodied 535. Now you have the opportunity to bring even more variety into your guitar harem.

We can offer opinions based on our own tastes, music styles and playing abilities, but trust your own ears.

i've considered holding off until after PSP, and using that as a auditory test ground. Forget nametags, we each mark our guitar with a tag stating the p'ups therein..... :rolleyes_mini:

Guest HRB853370

killer 535

pair of Duncan APH-1's

pair of Duncan Phat Cats

You may want to consider Gibson 57 classics. They dont get much attention on this forum, for obvious reasons, but I have them in my Cherry 535 and they really put forth some tone!

...seems we're in exactly the same boat, a new ASB 535 that we're looking to give a new voice to.

I included this article in the other thread as well, but I do think it's worth the few minutes it takes to read. Author goes into great detail on his swapping of various PAF style p'ups, including Seth Lovers and Burstbuckers.

kidsmoke. Yes! I did read that article as soon as you posted it, and I meant to thank for putting it up. It was an interesting read. And I spent some time last night on the Duncan website, listening to soundclips (...and I'm very aware of the variables in that). And it will be interesting to me to see where we each ultimately land. And I want to add my thanks to everyone who has posted, so far. I knew I'd get good input on this, and I have. Maybe I should add now that:

I'm not buying anything new (...I don't think...?).

The APH-1's are in a box.

The Burstbuckers are what came in the 535. And I'm clearly not happy with that, hence this thread.

The Seths would come out of the Paul I've had for thirty-six years, but rarely play amplified.

The Phat Cats are in my 576, a discontined semi-hollow, which is 2 3/4" deep, deeper than the 535, but is otherwise similar (and sounds great, but is not quite as appealing to me to play as the 535).

Guest HRB853370

Thier all about the same, like i always say the musicians playing will make the guitar sound the way you want it, not the pickups. The tone of the guitar can be dialed in by the tone controls on the guitar and amp. Personally I think alot of people spend alot of money and time trying to find componets to add to the guitar to make them sound better, but in all honesty its thier playing skills that make the difference. JMO

I think that the amp you use would be a the much more important equation. humbuckers are humbuckers and singles are singles, in the end the pickup is just a magnet. Some just a little stronger than others. Not going to effect sound just the output, which in turn can just as easily be dialed in with a good amp setting.

I have played a long time and have had every kind of guitar and pickup you can imagine but in the end they all are close to one another and arnt going to turn any heads more than the other, but your playing skills do everytime. Good amp and lots of practice makes an awsome sounding player. But I have only played for 23 years and owned every piece of equipment and guitar & (PICKUPS!) imagineable, what do I know? :icon_thumright:

+1

I'm not buying anything new (...I don't think...?).

The APH-1's are in a box.

The Burstbuckers are what came in the 535. And I'm clearly not happy with that, hence this thread.

The Seths would come out of the Paul I've had for thirty-six years, but rarely play amplified.

The Phat Cats are in my 576, a discontined semi-hollow, which is 2 3/4" deep, deeper than the 535, but is otherwise similar (and sounds great, but is not quite as appealing to me to play as the 535).

LOL! Well, this makes all the difference in the world, Rob - An hour of your time w/a soldering gun and some fishing line, the APH's come out of the box and into the 535. If you don't like the result, plan B it.

Archived