Heritage Owners Club

Amp: Blues Deluxe Reissue

This is a 40 watt 1 x 12 combo that I tried out at GC today. It was light enough at 45 lbs, but I wouldn't want anything heavier than that. This amp had the nice fender cleans that you'd expect, 2-channel with foot switch, reverb, and according to the internet and effects loop-though I didn't see that in person. The reverb is not the usual spring kind, but it sounded good enough. I went right for the distortion channel to see what it would do, and amp sounds like early Rolling Stones - it'll get you overdrive, but not full out distortion like with AC DC or Nirvana. I think this is a perfect blues amp - I was playing a mexi strat through it and it sounded quite nice. I also like the clean sound of the Carr Rambler, too, but I need an amp that I can play hard rock through (though not necessarily metal). What would you guys recommend for high distortion amp that reaches up to hard rock level?

Three amps I really like... Orange Tiny Terror, Peavey Valveking VK112, Blackstar HT20, and a Jet City 2112RC. I've had a lot of fun with all of them to get that hard rock tone I actually use for blues lead playing...

Count much? ........... :biggrin_mini:

Fender tones in a light weight package = Deluxe Reverb RI. I'm considering selling my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and getting a DRRI. Close enough to Twin Reverb territory, light weigh enough to carry around.

Count much? ........... :biggrin_mini:

Fender tones in a light weight package = Deluxe Reverb RI. I'm considering selling my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and getting a DRRI. Close enough to Twin Reverb territory, light weigh enough to carry around.

That's what I get for editing my post while typing... I meant to put the blackstar as one of my amps I'd love to try... The others I've had a lot of fun on.... Oh, and the DRRI is a clean amp. No heavy breakup unless you run some serious pedals through it. I have a KBP810 Reverb Deluxe which is a point to point DRRI amp. It is not a hard rocker at all when played without pedals.

This is a 40 watt 1 x 12 combo that I tried out at GC today. It was light enough at 45 lbs, but I wouldn't want anything heavier than that. This amp had the nice fender cleans that you'd expect, 2-channel with foot switch, reverb, and according to the internet and effects loop-though I didn't see that in person. The reverb is not the usual spring kind, but it sounded good enough. I went right for the distortion channel to see what it would do, and amp sounds like early Rolling Stones - it'll get you overdrive, but not full out distortion like with AC DC or Nirvana. I think this is a perfect blues amp - I was playing a mexi strat through it and it sounded quite nice. I also like the clean sound of the Carr Rambler, too, but I need an amp that I can play hard rock through (though not necessarily metal). What would you guys recommend for high distortion amp that reaches up to hard rock level?

Koula~ If you are looking for Fender cleans that can be boosted into hard rock land with pedals, then the Blues Deluxe is a good platform. I too like its reasonable weight and 6L6 power. I don't care much for its reverb, but it is passable at live gigs. Since I play more RnB, Blues n Jazzy stuff, the Fender Blues Deluxe was a better match.

Another amp for you to test drive is the Peavey Delta Blues 15. For the style of music you play it might get you a bit closer than the Fender. I sold my Peavey DB15 and got the Fender Blues Deluxe and added an extension cab to fatten up the live sound of the amp. The guy I sold my Peavey to uses it almost exclusively for heavier rock tones. That 15" speaker just barks at louder levels. Oh, before selling the Peavey, I loaded it with JJ's. That made a good sounding amp a GREAT amp.

That's what I get for editing my post while typing... I meant to put the blackstar as one of my amps I'd love to try... The others I've had a lot of fun on.... Oh, and the DRRI is a clean amp. No heavy breakup unless you run some serious pedals through it. I have a KBP810 Reverb Deluxe which is a point to point DRRI amp. It is not a hard rocker at all when played without pedals.

I went to Daddy's several weeks ago and tried out the DRRI - I liked it's clean sound well enough, and it's the right weight and good enough volume level, but I tried everything to get a distortion sound out of it - nada. I put a Big Muff in front of it and even that didn't do it. Except for hot rod deluxe (which I hate) I don't think Fenders are really capable of high distortion sounds. But I'm happy to be proven wrong because I really do like their clean and crunch sounds.

Guitfiddler -

thanks for the ideas - hadn't thought of using a 15" speaker, and JJs. My ears are spoiled by having had a 100 watt 2 X 12 Peavey Valveking in the '70s - that got *great* distortion, and 2-channel, too!

I went to Daddy's several weeks ago and tried out the DRRI - I liked it's clean sound well enough, and it's the right weight and good enough volume level, but I tried everything to get a distortion sound out of it - nada. I put a Big Muff in front of it and even that didn't do it. Except for hot rod deluxe (which I hate) I don't think Fenders are really capable of high distortion sounds. But I'm happy to be proven wrong because I really do like their clean and crunch sounds.

That's why I really like the Orange Tiny Terror with a 1x12. Really awesome rock machine....

I also like the clean sound of the Carr Rambler, too, but I need an amp that I can play hard rock through (though not necessarily metal). What would you guys recommend for high distortion amp that reaches up to hard rock level?

You will have to define what you call hard rock.

Do you mean 70's hard rock or 2000's.

I tried the Blues Deluxe Reissue for a couple of days at home, maybe 18 months ago now, I found the cleans to be fine but the od channel was typical Fender, the volume went from 0 to 100 with the slightest turn of the knob. That would probably be fine for gigging but for home use a non starter. It was also very similar in tone to my Blues Jnr, so I returned it to the shop. To cut a long story short I bought a Laney TT50 combo, 50w, three channel all valve and made in the UK. The clean tones are very good, and the rhythm and crunch channels are fantastic, no need for od or distortion pedals with this one. Also, very importantly, it plays extremely well at very low volume. I also played a couple of Orange amps, the Tiny Terror combo was impressive, but lack of reverb and the high price put me off.

Check out this Youtube clip, using a TT50 head

I've played thru an Orange 30 Rocker and really liked it's OD. Cleans were not quite as clean as I wanted from it. But that's probably not what it was intended for. MikeNov plays thru Orange amps. Loved his tone at the last PSP. :icon_thumright:

Fender can get dirty. It's just going to be very loud when it does. :diablo_mini: On 5, my old Twin Reverb was heavenly dirtyl. Haven't tried any pedals thru the more recent Fenders, tho'. But my main amp is a Fender Super 5F4 clone. And it loves the pedals. Same for my 5E3 Deluxe. But then, those are Tweed builds. Might not translate into modern Fender tones, I guess. I've got the next two Saturdays off; I may have to go try out a DRRI with my fav pedals so I can make an objective comment. Cool!! Music Store Trip!!! :music_mini2:

You will have to define what you call hard rock.

Do you mean 70's hard rock or 2000's.

Tully -

I'm at work, so I can't include the link, but go to You Tube and listen to the tune by a now defunct group called Audioslave, the song is "Doesn't Remind Me" -- that's more of an alternative rock sound, where it starts out on accoustic guitar, but after about 2 min. into the song, there's a high gain lead sound -- *that's* what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about death metal, metallica type stuff, where there's real heavy bottom to it, but more of a hard rock, alternative sound, I guess a la 1990s. inlcude Nirvana.

I tried the Blues Deluxe Reissue for a couple of days at home, maybe 18 months ago now, I found the cleans to be fine but the od channel was typical Fender, the volume went from 0 to 100 with the slightest turn of the knob. That would probably be fine for gigging but for home use a non starter. It was also very similar in tone to my Blues Jnr, so I returned it to the shop. To cut a long story short I bought a Laney TT50 combo, 50w, three channel all valve and made in the UK. The clean tones are very good, and the rhythm and crunch channels are fantastic, no need for od or distortion pedals with this one. Also, very importantly, it plays extremely well at very low volume. I also played a couple of Orange amps, the Tiny Terror combo was impressive, but lack of reverb and the high price put me off.

Check out this Youtube clip, using a TT50 head

Paul, thanks for you tube link - will check out at home tonight.

I know what you mean by Laney -- I see a lot of guys on You Tube, who are demonstrating new pedals use that a lot - one of them is a guy calles himself burgerman - he does a nice demo of the chi wah wah pedal, and the wampler super plextortion (*great* pedal, btw). This guy demos a lot of stuff from different companys - kind of like gearmanndude. I wonder if they get paid for this stuff, or just get free gear . . . hmm . ..

I've played thru an Orange 30 Rocker and really liked it's OD. Cleans were not quite as clean as I wanted from it. But that's probably not what it was intended for. MikeNov plays thru Orange amps. Loved his tone at the last PSP. :icon_thumright:

Fender can get dirty. It's just going to be very loud when it does. :diablo_mini: On 5, my old Twin Reverb was heavenly dirtyl. Haven't tried any pedals thru the more recent Fenders, tho'. But my main amp is a Fender Super 5F4 clone. And it loves the pedals. Same for my 5E3 Deluxe. But then, those are Tweed builds. Might not translate into modern Fender tones, I guess. I've got the next two Saturdays off; I may have to go try out a DRRI with my fav pedals so I can make an objective comment. Cool!! Music Store Trip!!! :music_mini2:

Yes, I agree about Orange cleans - they don't get squeaky clean. The Blues Deluxe Reissue is a tweed amp - at least the one I tried out was. I don't believe I've ever knowingly heard a 5F4 or 5E3 Deluxe (unless that's a DRRI clone, then I have).

Looking forward to your report if you do get the time to try the DRRI w/your fav. pedals.

Might try a Fender Deluxe VM. A DRRI with effects including decent gain at manageable volumes. Same general price point as the blues deluxe... oh, and they come in blonde :)

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers-Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Combo-Amps/Hybrid-Combo-Guitar-Amps/Deluxe-VM-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.site1prod580898.product

Might try a Fender Deluxe VM. A DRRI with effects including decent gain at manageable volumes. Same general price point as the blues deluxe... oh, and they come in blonde :)

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers-Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Combo-Amps/Hybrid-Combo-Guitar-Amps/Deluxe-VM-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.site1prod580898.product

And we know that gentlemen prefer blondes! : )

Tully -

I'm at work, so I can't include the link, but go to You Tube and listen to the tune by a now defunct group called Audioslave, the song is "Doesn't Remind Me" -- that's more of an alternative rock sound, where it starts out on accoustic guitar, but after about 2 min. into the song, there's a high gain lead sound -- *that's* what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about death metal, metallica type stuff, where there's real heavy bottom to it, but more of a hard rock, alternative sound, I guess a la 1990s. inlcude Nirvana.

I think that the only Fender you will get that sound convincingly out of without stomps is the supersonic or some of the pro tube series. Devilles and Deluxes not so much with out a JCM800ish sounding pedal in front.

Right now I use the Blackstar HT-Dual or Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde through my Deville or concert to get that kind of thing but hope the OCD might replace them as Im not fond of either. If it doesnt well Im just going to pile all my stomps up pour petrol on them and set them on fire.

If you didnt have to limit yourself to a combo a head and closed back 212 would deliver an even better approximation of that sound.

I pretty much settled on an egnater head run into a 212 to cover bands like Audioslave and similar. The Mesa LS can almost fake it through the right cab.

My 212 cab weighs 20kg and a head like the supersonic or Egnater Enegade or similar only weighs 14 or so kg.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWvw9QmxsQ

I don't have to limit myself to anything - only to weight (45 lbs max). Certainly can do a head and cab kind of thing. Am aware of Egnator but haven't heard the model of which you speak. Still need to check out Blackstar - that seems promising. I'm afraid my ears have been spoiled by checking out the Two Rock Gain Master (comes in 22 and 35 watts) - what an awesome sound for crunch/high gain, cleans not bad, either. And compact size and light, light, light. : ) But my name's not Elvis, I don't have his kind of money, so, that dream will have to wait, unless I find a cheaper alternative!

Btw, the Wampler Super Plextortion is a really great dirt box, gives marshally sounds.

I wouldn't dismiss Peavey's Valveking either. I really like the thick clean tone as well as the crunchy rock tone I get out of it between channels. I really liked that amp, but I really wanted a KBP810 RD. Another cool amp he made was a unique design with two preamp sections and a single KT-88 feeding the power section. That thing rocks too!

I wouldn't dismiss Peavey's Valveking either. I really like the thick clean tone as well as the crunchy rock tone I get out of it between channels. I really liked that amp, but I really wanted a KBP810 RD. Another cool amp he made was a unique design with two preamp sections and a single KT-88 feeding the power section. That thing rocks too!

Now that one is indeed a high gain rock monster :headbang:

I think that the only Fender you will get that sound convincingly out of without stomps is the supersonic or some of the pro tube series. Devilles and Deluxes not so much with out a JCM800ish sounding pedal in front.

Right now I use the Blackstar HT-Dual or Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde through my Deville or concert to get that kind of thing but hope the OCD might replace them as Im not fond of either. If it doesnt well Im just going to pile all my stomps up pour petrol on them and set them on fire.

If you didnt have to limit yourself to a combo a head and closed back 212 would deliver an even better approximation of that sound.

I pretty much settled on an egnater head run into a 212 to cover bands like Audioslave and similar. The Mesa LS can almost fake it through the right cab.

My 212 cab weighs 20kg and a head like the supersonic or Egnater Enegade or similar only weighs 14 or so kg.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWvw9QmxsQ

I don't have to limit myself to anything - only to weight (45 lbs max). Certainly can do a head and cab kind of thing. Am aware of Egnator but haven't heard the model of which you speak. Still need to check out Blackstar - that seems promising. I'm afraid my ears have been spoiled by checking out the Two Rock Gain Master (comes in 22 and 35 watts) - what an awesome sound for crunch/high gain, cleans not bad, either. And compact size and light, light, light. : ) But my name's not Elvis, I don't have his kind of money, so, that dream will have to wait, unless I find a cheaper alternative!

Btw, the Wampler Super Plextortion is a really great dirt box, gives marshally sounds.

I think he means the "Egnater Renegade". I have mentioned this amp before as one of the guitar players in the No Name Band uses a 212 combo version of this amp. He formerly used a Marshall 50 watt tube and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Hot Rod Deville. He since is convinced it is the best of all amps he has played. Each channel can select 65& 18 watts independently, all tube with both 6L6 (Fender) and EL 34 (Marshall) selectable power tubes. He uses the Clean channel 1 at 65 watts, 6L6 tubes, and Dirty channel 2 EL34 power tubes at 18 watts for dirty. Both channels have a foot switchable lead boost and separate Master Vol for each channel. He says it is the best of both worlds; Fender clean and Marshall dirty.

@ NoName: and what do you think Mark, do you like that Egnator?

@Southpaw - yeah, that Laney is a serious amp.

I think he means the "Egnater Renegade". I have mentioned this amp before as one of the guitar players in the No Name Band uses a 212 combo version of this amp. He formerly used a Marshall 50 watt tube and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Hot Rod Deville. He since is convinced it is the best of all amps he has played. Each channel can select 65& 18 watts independently, all tube with both 6L6 (Fender) and EL 34 (Marshall) selectable power tubes. He uses the Clean channel 1 at 65 watts, 6L6 tubes, and Dirty channel 2 EL34 power tubes at 18 watts for dirty. Both channels have a foot switchable lead boost and separate Master Vol for each channel. He says it is the best of both worlds; Fender clean and Marshall dirty.

Yeah, I meant Renegade. I have the Tourmaster Ten Thousand..oh wait, its only 4100.

I really like the 3rd channel for stuff like ratm, foo's and stuff where the goofy kid inside can get a few moments in the sunshine.

It seems to be close to one of the gain levels and the sound I am trying to get out of my stomps for my fender amps. Why I dont know. I already have an amp that does it.

koula901,

I compared a supersonic head and renegade head today and liked the Renegade better in most things I tried. But I bought the supersonic home to play with for the weekend. Im sure there are some good sounds in it to find. So I will.

Archived