Heritage Owners Club

The Kids Are Not Alright...

JackBaruth

They need up to date endorsers, alex and the boys are great but 99 percent of the young generation would have no idea who he or the others are, heritage needs to be in the hands of the popular musicians of today and in the now... to keep the flame alive thats what has to happen.. only problem is heritage cant compete with gib or fends pocket books. Corperate giants always win..They can buy thier endorsers..... such a shame.

Even as I am not young generation, (well to some of you I am!), most of the artists except a small handful I've never heard of and many are jazz players which is genre I really don't listen to.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

h555 you are wise well beyond your years, apparently!

Yes- This young man is indeed 12 years young, a very fine young man, a fine player, a guitar/Heritage enthusiast.....and he purchase his beautiful H555 with money he actually "earned" himself. We're pleased to have him a frequent visitor to our shop and a customer/friend.

We also have a 15 yr. old part time employee that plays a H535 quite well.

It's surprising & encouraging, as a Guitar Shop operator, to meet youngsters that play....and to hear them playing classic Rock & Blues. Trust me guys- great music is in excellent hands & will be around long after we depart. We had a part timer for a while that is what I'd call a Blues Prodigy. Check out Casey Hopkins on youtube. I call him "Lightnin'........."

Jay Wolfe

h555 you are wise well beyond your years, apparently!

Yes- This young man is indeed 12 years young, a very fine young man, a fine player, a guitar/Heritage enthusiast.....and he purchase his beautiful H555 with money he actually "earned" himself. We're pleased to have him a frequent visitor to our shop and a customer/friend.

We also have a 15 yr. old part time employee that plays a H535 quite well.

It's surprising & encouraging, as a Guitar Shop operator, to meet youngsters that play....and to hear them playing classic Rock & Blues. Trust me guys- great music is in excellent hands & will be around long after we depart. We had a part timer for a while that is what I'd call a Blues Prodigy. Check out Casey Hopkins on youtube. I call him "Lightnin'........."

Jay Wolfe

If I didn't know any better, I swear H555rocks is much older than he implies. My daughter is 12 and she is not that fluent of a writer. Just to add, she's a straight A student. H555rocks must just be an old soul in a 12 year old's body. Plus a H555 is not a beginner or even a novice guitar. Its a real piece of functional art.

Guest HRB853370

If I didn't know any better, I swear H555rocks is much older than he implies. My daughter is 12 and she is not that fluent of a writer. Just to add, she's a straight A student. H555rocks must just be an old soul in a 12 year old's body. Plus a H555 is not a beginner or even a novice guitar. Its a real piece of functional art.

I thought you said you were 23 y/o, and you have a 12 year old daughter? Yikes!

Guest HRB853370

I'm not fooling about being 12:) I personally value the guitar cause it gives me great pleasure that is impossible to find elsewhere and I find the h555 to be a very versatile guitar.

I'm also not from some "socailist" country, but am proud to be an American:)

Can we see a photo of you so we can "ascertain" this once and for all? I try to pass off as 21 frequently, but it just doesn't work very well with my silver hair.

To the person who asked, here is a picture proving I am 12. Sorry thst it is not the best picture but I believe it serves its purpose:)

No worries, we believed you before the pictures. Maybe you'll be the next guitar hero that will put a Heritage guitar on the map for the rest your generation.

ha, I am getting a bit tired of explaining the Heritage story, but have eventually sort of got a routine down

the internet I am sure will help get the word out; plus this forum is fantastic as before there was no place for owners to interact, and potential owners to get advice etc

I'm glad to have made the friends I have, so far, though the HOC: you're a great bunch of folks!!

If Jay says he's 12 then that's enough for me to believe it! :icon_thumright:

(not that it matters, just a bit jealous being 46 and all and still barely forming a proper sentence myself)

He looks more like 12 1/2 to me.

Super nice 555 you got there.

Chances are you will be making music on that semi long after the rest of us are just stored data and dust. When I was your age the most I could hope for was a Harmony archtop only playable on the first three frets.

I was in a gtr store recently and there was a kid playing peter green licks...nice!! I would definitely say the kids are allright

nice to meet you H555rocks, I wish I'd started as young as you...and you're definitely ahead of the curve with that gtr ;)

jaywolfe you deserve a medal, for your Heritage evangelism: I have been going to your site for years to look at all the models you've had on stock & drool :D

I was 18 when I got my first Les Paul, but that was back in the mid '80s, when nobody wanted them and the used ones were dirt cheap. No way I could have afforded one of the custom pointy BC Riches or Jacksons that were the rage at the time. Those were priced almost like Gibsons are now. And my parents sure as heck weren't going to buy me one. They thought they were splurging ridiculously by getting me the plywood Memphis LP copy that I learned on. :D

Probably no coincidence that I love to pick up '80s custom Jacksons now at fire sale prices. They're still awesome guitars, only now I can afford them. ;)

It's just a fact of life that many young guys are going to be lured by name brands and endorsers. H555rocks appears to be a wonderful exception, since he's learned what really matters at such a young age. Playing a fancy guitar doesn't make you a fancy player.

Guest HRB853370

To the person who asked, here is a picture proving I am 12. Sorry thst it is not the best picture but I believe it serves its purpose:)

DUDE! You belie your real age. If you look like that and I met you on the street, I would peg you at 16, at the very least. So, I hate to ask as it's not my business, but, does this mean you have 16+ year old chicks chasing you down?

That, I would be jealous of, if I was only 12!!!

BTW-I had a nice accordion at age 12!

Also add in Johnny Smith, Roy Clark and there is more! I don't think Heritage is marketing to the 18-25 year old set. I bet if you took a survey, the average age of a Heritage owner is over 35. Notice the word AVERAGE. They don't have the budget models like Gibson and Fender do. ALL of their guitars are of professional grade quality. You don't see any offshore made Heritage's like you do with Fender and Gibson. Heritage's are sold to the folks that are educated and can afford them. Period. That is not to say that they should not go for the younger set, as they definitely should. Orders are orders and sales are sales.

[/quot

As us older players can afford them and play them thats fine and all but if heritage wants customers to sell to in the next ten to twenty years they better get the attention of the younger crowds now, if not who they going to build them for when we are all but done playing guitars.

This isnt a matter of quality and building just for an elite few of dedicated heritage owners, it's a matter of a big marketing blunder that sinks businesses all the time.......failure to change and failure to market to new genere's. More people knew about heritage guitars in the late 80's than they do now hence the average age of the heritage owner......... I'm just saying it's time for heritage to get serious about marketing to the youth or they will surely regrett it as a company ten years from now.

Also add in Johnny Smith, Roy Clark and there is more! I don't think Heritage is marketing to the 18-25 year old set. I bet if you took a survey, the average age of a Heritage owner is over 35. Notice the word AVERAGE. They don't have the budget models like Gibson and Fender do. ALL of their guitars are of professional grade quality. You don't see any offshore made Heritage's like you do with Fender and Gibson. Heritage's are sold to the folks that are educated and can afford them. Period. That is not to say that they should not go for the younger set, as they definitely should. Orders are orders and sales are sales.

As us older players can afford them and play them thats fine and all but if heritage wants customers to sell to in the next ten to twenty years they better get the attention of the younger crowds now, if not who they going to build them for when we are all but done playing guitars.

This isnt a matter of quality and building just for an elite few of dedicated heritage owners, it's a matter of a big marketing blunder that sinks businesses all the time.......failure to change and failure to market to new genere's. More people knew about heritage guitars in the late 80's than they do now hence the average age of the heritage owner......... I'm just saying it's time for heritage to get serious about marketing to the youth or they will surely regrett it as a company ten years from now.

I really can't see a Heritage style Melody Maker any time soon....

Guest HRB853370

They need up to date endorsers, alex and the boys are great but 99 percent of the young generation would have no idea who he or the others are, heritage needs to be in the hands of the popular musicians of today and in the now... to keep the flame alive thats what has to happen.. only problem is heritage cant compete with gib or fends pocket books. Corperate giants always win..They can buy thier endorsers..... such a shame.

I see the problem as ignorance with the 99% of the young generation you refer to. If they would quit playing video games or fooling around with their latest Iphone, and instead took the time to learn about the musicians that made REAL music, not the CRAP that infiltrates the radiowaves today, they might be turned to Heritage. You make it sound like it is Heritage's fault and it is not.

I really can't see a Heritage style Melody Maker any time soon....

Its been done: The h-120, among other variations(actually a step below a melody maker in that it had a bolt-on neck)

I think the root of the issue here is- how much do you need to grow a business in order to feel successful ? I think the obsession with economic growth is over-rated and one of the root problems with our society. I find it hard to think of an example where increased visibility and 'brand loyalty' has led to an improved product.

Heritage is an honest, artisan business, as far as I can tell. Not enough of that in the world these days.

Why change it ? The guitars speak for themselves. This is a good thing.

I see the problem as ignorance with the 99% of the young generation you refer to. If they would quit playing video games or fooling around with their latest Iphone, and instead took the time to learn about the musicians that made REAL music, not the CRAP that infiltrates the radiowaves today, they might be turned to Heritage. You make it sound like it is Heritage's fault and it is not.

No kidding, my daughter's interest in playing any sort of instrument lasts maybe a month before she gives up. Gave her a cool electric guitar, and blah after three weeks. Gave her a Chelo, lasted maybe a month. Gave her a Voila, last about six weeks. Now she wants to learn dance and sing.... Oh boy, it never ends. She wants it all now but doesn't realize talent doesn't come by easy. It takes time and practice. I've been playing on and off for twenty years, most dedicated people learn what I know in a year or two....

I see where your coming from slammer, but you know as well as I it's not heritages fault,,,,,, The youth , just like all of us when we where young, follow what is in at the time.. Heritage guitars are the best for sure, we know that end of story. Im talking about the future genair's. We all started playing guitars because of some player we wanted to sound like, hence we played the guitars they did. Then we got older and realized what quality means (heritage of course)!!! I have heard stories of heritage not giving top notch players who are touring to millions thier guitars. That is just beyond a mistake!!!!!! Why wouldnt you give a touring popular band a guitar to endorse to millions of up and coming generations to lust after like fender and gibson does and has for over 50 years????? Thats foolish, and very very bad business.. Now you all can say alll you want about heritage guitar but in the end they are a business! So if they want to carry on a heritage tradition they need to get the attention of these video gaming mindless teens you speek of. Because like it or not they are the future owners of heritage guitars and what will keep them in business,,,,, which is what we all want in the end right?

How is that going to happen if none of them has heard of heritage because they wouldnt send a major star a free guitar so thousands of fans can see and hear one in action by someone they idolize! How soon we all forget huhh? Just like my son son told me 2 years ago ,,, if heritages are so great why doesnt zakk wylde play one? Maybe heritage needs to be reminded kids are kids and like it or not you have to play the marketing game. Thats all im sayin..

Now we can all sit here and massage heritages ego but what going to happen when where all but gone. You tell me???????????

No kidding, my daughter's interest in playing any sort of instrument lasts maybe a month before she gives up. Gave her a cool electric guitar, and blah after three weeks. Gave her a Chelo, lasted maybe a month. Gave her a Voila, last about six weeks. Now she wants to learn dance and sing.... Oh boy, it never ends. She wants it all now but doesn't realize talent doesn't come by easy. It takes time and practice. I've been playing on and off for twenty years, most dedicated people learn what I know in a year or two....

That sounds like my son. When he was about 12, he wanted to learn guitar. I got him a nice, but cheap Washburn strat. He took lessons from his sister's boyfriend who played guitar (Dad didn't have the patience to be a teacher). That lasted about 2 months. Then he took up French horn. Played that in middle school for a couple of years but I don't think he's picked one up since. Now a Jr in college, I can see that playing music just wasn't his thing.

Instead he found his calling... golf. We get to play together on occasion, and enjoy it. He's working at two courses part time in the summer and does demo days for Nike. Plus it works out well with his Sports Admin major.

Today I took my oldest daughter for "our" first driving lesson. My younger daughter was in the park with friends and as we drove by I hung out the window screaming, "save me!"

It was hard turning over the wheel to her. I love my Element.

Tomorrow I am giving my younger daughter "our" first guitar lesson and letting her start using my H-475. I don't know which makes me more nervous, the car or the guitar.

Archived