Heritage Owners Club

It finally happened: my first ding.

barrymclark

It took a year, but my beloved 575 got its first ding. It is on the back of the neck. I have no idea how or when it happened.

All at once, I wanted to cry... and then I was relieved. This is the longest I have gone before a first ding.

Althought still a treasured guitar, I will not get the sweats worrying about it bumping into anything.

It took a year, but my beloved 575 got its first ding. It is on the back of the neck. I have no idea how or when it happened.

All at once, I wanted to cry... and then I was relieved. This is the longest I have gone before a first ding.

Althought still a treasured guitar, I will not get the sweats worrying about it bumping into anything.

Well, now its considered a player guitar and no longer just a piece of art. :drink_mini:

It took you that long! I bumped the neck of my 157 while still at the factory, just moments after picking it up and playing it for the first time :lol:

Thankfully it didn't really leave a noticeable mark though, so maybe that doesn't count :icon_scratch:

It took you that long! I bumped the neck of my 157 while still at the factory, just moments after picking it up and playing it for the first time :lol:

Thankfully it didn't really leave a noticeable mark though, so maybe that doesn't count :icon_scratch:

Whew, you didn't notice that big scratch on the back and the ding to the top from when I used it during PSP.... Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

ooohhh I HATE that. But, waht can you do? The have to grow up sometime!....I just hate when a ding just "shows up" and for a second I have that "i'm gonna figure out what happened" thought---then realize I never will---then get mad again---then pick it up & play---then get mad 1 more time---then let it go and realize tht whilt it's now moved into the "NEAR MINT" category on ebay---it's still as good as it get for me!!!!!

That makes it a "player". We all hate the nicks. But they're a ... necessary .. part of owning and playing out. I think we've all had those "mysterious" dings. I know my EJ Strat had several, and I really babied that guitar. Anyway, HND day. :thumbsup:

I kept the 535 scratchless till I came to PSP then got a scratch whiping it down with a white terri! No more teri cloth for my guitars!

The 137 scratched the first day I got it - boy was I pissed! Nothing serious. These nitro guitars seem really fragile. Oddly, there is a strange sense of relief after the first scratch/or ding.

Just don't slide it across the floor like Rob did with his '57 Strat at PSP this year. Or, maybe it's okay now to do just that. Some people pay a lot of money for that distressed Relic look. It doesn't appeal to me but hey, what do I know.

Just don't slide it across the floor like Rob did with his '57 Strat at PSP this year. Or, maybe it's okay now to do just that. Some people pay a lot of money for that distressed Relic look. It doesn't appeal to me but hey, what do I know. All of my guitars have dings. If it doesn't have a ding, it's not a real guitar, it's a show piece. All Show, No Go, just like cars.

Guest HRB853370

Oddly, there is a strange sense of relief after the first scratch/or ding.

Yeah, its kinda like after having sex for the very first time....

Damn...ding on the neck....guitar's ruined....time to sell.

I'll take it off you hands for $500 sight unseen. I'm sure I could find some use for it.....door stop....cutting board...

Guest HRB853370

Be glad its on the back of the neck and not on the top! If you play with a ring on your finger (I don't) your guitar will eventually have lots of dings and scratches on the neck. But thats the part of the guitar that gets the most handled, right?

Be glad its on the back of the neck and not on the top! If you play with a ring on your finger (I don't) your guitar will eventually have lots of dings and scratches on the neck. But thats the part of the guitar that gets the most handled, right?

Oh I know. I was just babying the bejesus out of it. I am surprised it took this long to be honest. I do play with my wedding band on... but with the way I play, it never seems to come into contact with the neck. :)

I'm always suspicious of a guitar that doesn't have a few nicks in it. That often means it's a dog that never gets played or handled.

My best ones have always had lots of a "character marks."

Oh yeah... I know it. I have just babied it and it has never left the house. When I pick it out of the case, I use both hands and lift straight up and not neck first. Besides... this one is not and will not, barring something horribly extreme, ever be for sale... so the only person that needs to trust the guitar is me. ;)

Chicks dig scars.

I'm always suspicious of a guitar that doesn't have a few nicks in it. That often means it's a dog that never gets played or handled.

My best ones have always had lots of a "character marks."

I had a 2007 535 I sold last year that was immaculate. No dings, no scratches, nada. It was too friggin' pretty to play. And the thought of scratching it ... couldn't handle it. Sold it and now I don't care. It's someone else's and he can ding it or not. But it certainly wasn't a dog. It fell into the "never gets played OR handled" category, for sure.

I kept the 535 scratchless till I came to PSP then got a scratch whiping it down with a white terri! No more teri cloth for my guitars!

The 137 scratched the first day I got it - boy was I pissed! Nothing serious. These nitro guitars seem really fragile. Oddly, there is a strange sense of relief after the first scratch/or ding.

I've alreay begun stratching the top of my new refinished 140. But its not where the pickguard is, its actually above the pickups on the opposite side where the pickguard goes. But as I said, I bought the guitar to play it, not to hanging it up in a display case. For some reason we like our K-Zoo guitars (Heritage or the previous owners brand) to look brand new. But our California made guitars, we prefer them to look like they've been through 1,000 gigs.

I lifted my guitar over my head to get the strap off and raised the headstock into a spinning fan. Twice in two years!

Dinged a Millie and a Golden Eagle.

You ought to relate to this then. Pay attention to the bit 50 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2HwUs2g_AI&feature=player_detailpage

Just don't slide it across the floor like Rob did with his '57 Strat at PSP this year. Or, maybe it's okay now to do just that. Some people pay a lot of money for that distressed Relic look. It doesn't appeal to me but hey, what do I know.

For those of us that didn't make it, how did the Strat go flying? Straplock failure? Failure to have straplocks?

Archived