Heritage Owners Club

Considering putting a Bigsby on my H150

SlappyTappy

I put a Vibramate on an H 555 and it was great....just make sure you LUBE THE NUT WELL....

and a roller bridge isnt a bad idea either

Always sage advice to lube the nut, well ........... :icon_salut:

I should put a Bigsby on the PSPIII Whiteboy. That would be cool. And no drilling with the Vibramate, is that right?

I for one, never like the Vibramate on my Les Paul Special, or my Gibson Firebird. Besides the fact that it made it hard to get to your

volume and tone controls, I felt it killed tuning stability. And yes, I tried every trick in the book to keep it it tune. The break angle was

fairly steep on both of these guitars for a Bigsby. Also it changed the tone of both of the guitars in a way I didn't like, as in, less

resonance and more brightness which neither guitar needed. And, if I haven't talked you out of it yet, if the top screws go in a hair

to tight they will leave a mark on your guitar. That said, I love the Bigs on My Gretsch Chet Atkins:)

Yes, I did the Bigsby B5 with Vibramate on my H150. I didn't hear any difference in tone, sustain, etc. The existing roller bridge helped. The new Bigsbys have grease - packed roller bearings on the shaft that attaches the strings and drags when bending the strings. When the unit was off the guitar for the next string change, I cleared the grease with solvent (brake cleaner works well) out of the roller bearings and re-lubricated with a little fine machine oil. I also had to file down the intermediate shaft ends (the one the strings go under before the bridge) to prevent binding - this has bushings that should also be oiled. Otherwise the roller shaft binds and the mainspring can't bring the strings back into tune. Works just fine with these small tune ups.

The Bigsby unit does hang over the curved guitar top plate and looks a little odd, but I got used to it.

Good Luck

Dave W.

I had one on an H150, it worked GREAT

because of the steep topcarve on a 150/millie, the flat plate looked a bit strange hanging over the bout if you looked sideways, but I got used to it & it functioned 100% fine

you could try a B3 but it would be iffy if you had enough stringbreak to hold the strings down on the saddles

or you could just go whole hog & bolt a B7 on there

here's a pic of my150 when I had the vibramte + B5 installed.....I may get another, currently that's on my 535 & is staying

gallery_672_98_551125.jpg

thread link:

http://www.heritageo...__fromsearch__1

hope that helps...

It seems like there would be better access to the controls with that type of trem! But hell it looks like a robot:) How well does it work????

Very well. You have to do all the nut tricks that you'd do with any trem, like backfiling the nut slots to minimize the surface drag, and you gotta go to locking tuners (I used Sperzels). However, I can drop the strings till they rattle and pull it right back into tune. It's pretty pricey, but Stets does great work -- fantastic machining.

rooster.

Archived