Heritage Owners Club

Would Phat Cats be close enough to satisfy your P90 urge?

donnie

Lets say you have a 150 that you love everything about-looks, resonance, weight, neck-everything. But you're jonesin' for some P90 goodness and you have the humbucker sound covered in another guitar.

Would Phat Cats get you close enough to real P90s so that you wouldn't have to sell a guitar you otherwise loved to get the P90 sound?

I know a lot of you like them in a 535 but I was just wondering about a 150.

Good question.

I had Phat Cats in my 535 Goldtop and they sounded great. However, I swapped them out for a set of Seths to get a more pure PAF tone. I'm chasing Carlton and Ritenour at the moment.

The Phats are now waiting to be installed in the right guitar. I'm interested in hearing from solid body or 150 owners that have em in their gits.

Funny! Just unplugged the stoptail 150 with the Phat Cats, after a little spank. And spank it was! Grainy clear, almost Tele, bridge. Articulate honk in the middle. Snappy ringing neck, with just a hint of warmth. Band's going to Memphis for the International Blues Challenge in February. Was going to take the Tele, to cover single coil needs. I think the Tele was just bumped from the trip!

I have no idea why you'd want to do such an idiotic thing...

748805da.jpg

Clarity. Note separation. Barking bridge. Creamy neck. Beautiful mid-position sound with less hum if you get a pair containing one reverse wound reverse polarity (RWRP). It's all there and no humbucker mud.

Do it. If you don't like it, there'll be plenty of ready buyers for the Phat Cats in our For Sale area. They sound good in 535s too :)

e6640084.jpg

Good question.

However, I swapped them out for a set of Seths to get a more pure PAF tone. I'm chasing Carlton and Ritenour at the moment.

Yeah, Tim...ain't we all...!? Have Seths in my 535, and I can't imagine anything would sound better in that guitar! And the P-90's in the 150 are excellent!

Wow, lots more responses than I would have thought, and positive ones too! I appreciate all the thoughts so far. Looks like this might be a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar.

Of course, not as much fun!

I'm gathering that the difference between Phat Cats and "real" P90s wouldn't be any greater than the difference between two different sets of real P90s.

Wow, lots more responses than I would have thought, and positive ones too! I appreciate all the thoughts so far. Looks like this might be a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar.

Of course, not as much fun!

I'm gathering that the difference between Phat Cats and "real" P90s wouldn't be any greater than the difference between two different sets of real P90s.

Or two different sets of humbuckers. That's pretty much it.

I have them in my 357, 137 and my 535 is in the shop having them put into it.

Guitar Center is selling the bridge pup for $39.00 but you have to special order them.

Yeah, Tim...ain't we all...!? Have Seths in my 535, and I can't imagine anything would sound better in that guitar! And the P-90's in the 150 are excellent!

I'm with ya there..i Love P-90's, but the Seths are staying in my 535..Jus Sayin..

Archived