Heritage Owners Club

Recommendations please? digital handheld recorder

tsp17

What's a luddite?

Get yourself an ampkit for the iPod....

a member of a social movement that protested the technological advances brought on by the industrial revolution under the premise that these advances robbed them of their jobs. Contemporary use is applied someone 'afraid' of new technologies.

We've had threads on this before...lots of recommendations. And I am luddite, no doubt. I've had one for over a year-and-a-half, but just decided I wanted to record gigs enough to learn to use it. Zoom H2. Been recording most of our gigs for three or four months now. I can place it just about anywhere (usually just behind me) on a mic stand, at about five feet tall, and I get very, very good recordings. All of the instruments are clear, present, and balanced, and my placement is designed to get our vocalist/bass players vocals from his floor wedge monitor. Can't believe how well it works. Very simple operation. Trick for me is remembering to turn it on, then off, at the end of a set. Next step, learning to download files on to my computer, to archive them.

I have an Olympus LS10 that I use all the time. Brent also has one and has uploaded several tracks made with it. Do a search and you'll find them.

• It can record in stereo,
  • is pretty easy to figure out,
  • comes in a pretty solid all metal case,
  • can run off batteries or DC wall plug,
  • Can continuously loop a selection, recording or part of a recording
  • Plays lots of different formats
  • can accept an SD card
  • connects to PC via USB
  • outputs to my multi effects unit, or speakers via a standard headphone jack
  • Can be tripod mounted
  • Can buy a remote for it enabling it to be placed off stage and controlled remotely from stage

Having said all that, the model itself has been discontinued. The new models (LS20 & LS7) seem to have all the same functionality.

a member of a social movement that protested the technological advances brought on by the industrial revolution under the premise that these advances robbed them of their jobs. Contemporary use is applied someone 'afraid' of new technologies.

I was expecting a more simple term, perhaps just stating lost job due to technology....

I was expecting a more simple term, perhaps just stating lost job due to technology....

The term "Luddite" comes from Ned Ludd - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Ludd and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

To quote from the latter link, "The movement emerged in the harsh economic climate of the Napoleonic Wars and difficult working conditions in the new textile factories. The principal objection of the Luddites was to the introduction of new wide-framed automated looms that could be operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, resulting in the loss of jobs for many skilled textile workers."

There's definitely a contemporary resonance...

I had the Zoom H4n at PSP. Here are a few samples of things from that.

Eyes - From PSPIV . Recorded with the internal microphones only live in the barn.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33133336/Eyes%20-%20PSPIV.mp3

Blackbird- DId this one in the living room with my Zoom in multitrack mode. I used an external MXL 992M condenser mic (phantom powered) and tracked each individually. Pulled the track back to Cubase (included with the Zoom) for a mixdown.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33133336/Blackbird.mp3

That should give you an idea of what you can do with one. They aren't particularly difficult to use, you just need to understand the way its laid out. Runs off batteries or AC. 2 channel, 4 channel, or multitrack mode. It has some internal effects (reverbs, amp sims, etc).

I've been impressed. It won't replace a full multitrack studio, but for on the go, it's very nice.

Archived