Heritage Owners Club

Turned off the ODs

tulk1

Interesting gig this past Saturday. I turned the pedals off for most of the songs. Still went thru the board to the amp. But only used the OD's on a couple of songs. Delay and Phase90 on songs that called for them. 'Verb on all the time. But, the ODs were in very limited use. Very different. I kinda like it ... for a change up.

Use the force, Luke. Come away from the dark side...

Yup, right there with ya, Kenny. When I've heard you play at PSP, don't recall you having much in the way of a gainy tone... thinking you had a super tweed maybe?... Thought it was sans-od/pedal and just full good amp sound.

Hmmm.... I think that's what I'm after...just what I need out of only the amp. Plug 'n' play. Love clean, and have a bunch of amps which get great cleans, and I have pedals which come (only) close to the hair I want. The Bitar piggyback is the only one with channel switching, terrific clean and wonderful grit, but I have to wind it up a bit to get it right. Great for a big room or outdoor stage, but just too much for most of the venues we play. Hence my search for a combo that straddles the line just right, at sensible volume...back out of the guitar, and it cleans right up; bear down just a little and it shows some character and punch.

Interesting gig this past Saturday. I turned the pedals off for most of the songs. Still went thru the board to the amp. But only used the OD's on a couple of songs. Delay and Phase90 on songs that called for them. 'Verb on all the time. But, the ODs were in very limited use. Very different. I kinda like it ... for a change up.

Good on you..Let the real tone shine through..so to speak..

Hmmm.... I think that's what I'm after...just what I need out of only the amp. Plug 'n' play. Love clean, and have a bunch of amps which get great cleans, and I have pedals which come (only) close to the hair I want. The Bitar piggyback is the only one with channel switching, terrific clean and wonderful grit, but I have to wind it up a bit to get it right. Great for a big room or outdoor stage, but just too much for most of the venues we play. Hence my search for a combo that straddles the line just right, at sensible volume...back out of the guitar, and it cleans right up; bear down just a little and it shows some character and punch.

I know you guys are probably tired of me saying this but.."Peavey Classic 30!" It does exactly that, has a great reverb, and is only like $650 new.. You could pickup a used one for around half of that.. :icon_santa:

And there's the jest of it. Got the amp to where it needed to be for leads, then backed off the volume to clean 'er up. Which is what I do anyway, even with the pedals. My vol control rides around 5-6 for most stuff. Then up for the leads. Here's the real kicker. Even with the main OD set to "hair", when I turned it off, the whole stage got cleaner! Say wha??? .... I did some A/B tests with the sound, and yeah, cleaner IS cleaner. It's amazing what you forget when you get so used to one way of playing. 2 years ago I played vol on 10, used the pedals for leads, rhythm stuff. Then started doing the vol thing, same pedals. Made for a different sound. But last Saturday it was ALL so different. We'll see on the next gig.

BTW, I'm using a Mesa Boogie Trans Atlantic on the 15w Vox setting. Vol is on what would be 3 or 4 if it had a dial. Treble just over 12:00; Bass just under 12:00; Cut - varies. Nice little rig.

Thanks Kenny, it's always instructive to hear what the pro's are doing and using. Keeps us amateurs thinking about things we don't think about much.

Uh ..... nowhere near pro level. But I do like to see me in print. :-) Really, sharing is how I've learned half this.

Interesting business, Kenny. I guess I'll post details on the amp thread in a few days. That Hugh Grant thing, the Kustom '36 Coupe.... Least expensive amp I've bought in, maybe, twenty-plus years. Haven't replaced the speaker in it, yet, but I know what's going in; I've tried it. Maybe some tubes, too. All that, and I'll still have less than $500 in it. Anyway, spent some more time with it and the Nash Strat, today. Tricky, finding the sweet spot for me, but I've got it, cold. And even without the upgrades, it's at about eighty-percent or more of just what we're talking about here. This'll be fun! Amp, cord, guitar; off to the gig, knowing I have everything I'll need covered.

I have an overdrive that I love , ProValve 2, and it is very versatile. And it's great at cleaning up using the guitar volume too. But I only use it with my Dean Markley 2 x 12 amp mostly, because it's pretty loud to get the right tone with that amp. Even though it has a cascading preamp, you have to run some juice through that amp to really sound great.. which it does.

I am fortunate that most of my other regular amps can do anything from clean to dirty and at different volume levels with the master volume , so no OD required.

There is something about running cleaner that makes the bass more robust and the notes more clear, and that can be a powerful and full tone to play with. I could certainly see how that would be a great thing with your type of music, Kenny. ( Seems like a great Tele could be part of that sound also... )

Archived