Heritage Owners Club

Amp recommendation

koula901

Folks,

My band is making noises about doing more open mics, and we're starting to have more than 1-2 gigs a year, it looks like a few gigs are coming up. I'm getting tired of borrowing amps. I'm thinking of biting the bullet, but don't have the $ for a boutique amp. I'm thinking maybe a used amp - up to $600. Must be tube, able to carry small-medium clubs, I'm thinking 18-22 watts. I play classic rock, so, if it's a clean amp it should be able to take pedals well. 2 channel w/foot-switch is a plus, and ideally the max weight would be 43 lbs (i.e. a deluxe reverb). What would be your suggestions?

I tend to like tweed sound, orange amps, I like the sound of my 5 watt Epi - a good blues sound, like fender cleans, the Peavey just sounded like it had a blanket on it, so I guess I prefer a more open sound.

Thanks.

I really love my Peavey DeltaBlues.... Mine was under $400 used... There are Classic 30's in that price range too. If you want a tube amp that is... They have OD channels.... I love the way it sounds overdriven and the cleans are really nice. The design is based upon Fender's but it uses EL-84's instead of 6V6's.... Makes the amp around 30 watts....

If you are looking super cheap, check out the Jet City stuff. You could get a brand new JCA20 head into a 2x12 and they sound great and are built solid as rocks. You can get both for under $500 brand spankin new.

A bit more in price, check out the Orange stuff.

I like the Marshall Class 5... but I wouldnt get it as the combo. I'd get it as a head and a larger multiple speaker cabinet. That can be had for a decent price new.

Another good sounding amp is the Vox AC30VR. Pretty awesome sounding.

Like DB said. I just have never heard a Peavey Delta Blues used for rock. ...but they are good amps.

If you are looking super cheap, check out the Jet City stuff. You could get a brand new JCA20 head into a 2x12 and they sound great and are built solid as rocks. You can get both for under $500 brand spankin new.

A bit more in price, check out the Orange stuff.

I like the Marshall Class 5... but I wouldnt get it as the combo. I'd get it as a head and a larger multiple speaker cabinet. That can be had for a decent price new.

Another good sounding amp is the Vox AC30VR. Pretty awesome sounding.

I've demo'd a Vox AC30 - just don't recall how heavy it is. Weight is an issue for me, as my home is up on the 3rd floor - I think vox's tend to be heavy, but, oh, what a sound!

Guest HRB853370

Folks,

My band is making noises about doing more open mics, and we're starting to have more than 1-2 gigs a year, it looks like a few gigs are coming up. I'm getting tired of borrowing amps. I'm thinking of biting the bullet, but don't have the $ for a boutique amp. I'm thinking maybe a used amp - up to $600. Must be tube, able to carry small-medium clubs, I'm thinking 18-22 watts. I play classic rock, so, if it's a clean amp it should be able to take pedals well. 2 channel w/foot-switch is a plus, and ideally the max weight would be 43 lbs (i.e. a deluxe reverb). What would be your suggestions?

I tend to like tweed sound, orange amps, I like the sound of my 5 watt Epi - a good blues sound, like fender cleans, the Peavey just sounded like it had a blanket on it, so I guess I prefer a more open sound.

Thanks.

You said it yourself. The Fender Deluxe Reverb. Find one used at Guitar Denter for around $450. They take stompboxes well (not sure about pedals, unless you plan to ride it, lol). The reverb is lush and full just as you would expect, the tremolo is awesome. And they are suprisingly well made. And compared to my Delta Blues, the Fender is much cleaner. Foot switch is included. I agree with the blanket analogy, I am not as happy with my Delta Blues as I expected. Not heavy either.

You said it yourself. The Fender Deluxe Reverb. Find one used at Guitar Denter for around $450. They take stompboxes well (not sure about pedals, unless you plan to ride it, lol). The reverb is lush and full just as you would expect, the tremolo is awesome. And they are suprisingly well made. And compared to my Delta Blues, the Fender is much cleaner. Foot switch is included. I agree with the blanket analogy, I am not as happy with my Delta Blues as I expected. Not heavy either.

Another killer amp.

I've demo'd a Vox AC30 - just don't recall how heavy it is. Weight is an issue for me, as my home is up on the 3rd floor - I think vox's tend to be heavy, but, oh, what a sound!

This isn't a Vox AC30. It is a Vox AC30VR. Not as heavy as a normal AC30. These are about 50lbs.

Guest HRB853370

Don't overlook the Fender Blues Jr. Can get one used on Ebay for $300-$400, then later add a few more dollars and upgrade with BillM mods. Not a bad way to go for those on a budget.

Or a Princeton Reverb Reissue, even with the 10" speaker, it is a great amp, ask Yoslate!

Don't overlook the Fender Blues Jr. Can get one used on Ebay for $300-$400, then later add a few more dollars and upgrade with BillM mods. Not a bad way to go for those on a budget.

Yes, I once A/B'd a non-modded FB Jr. w/my Epi half stack - same exact tone, only with the bells & whistles (FB has pots, of course). Yes, I think this is a good suggestion, along with a fender DR.

I'll have some audio clips of the 15" DeltaBlues tomorrow... I'll let you decide if its right for you. Since I'm a Blue-Rock player, it works very well for me.

that would be great! :) May I say your blues playing is coming along just fine!

Hi Katy - congrats on the success of your band. That's good news to start the new year. Since the DR-like amp is my favorite club amp, I'm totally biased. But they're not very Orange-amp like... you might look at an Egnater Tweaker 1x12 combo. They meet your specs except for the channel switching option. Versatile, lightweight... and could perhaps dial in a more Orange voicing. Even new with the 15% off net deals right now they'd be at your budget (with the option to return should you not favor it).

Really cool that your band is doing well!

Hi Katy - congrats on the success of your band. That's good news to start the new year. Since the DR-like amp is my favorite club amp, I'm totally biased. But they're not very Orange-amp like... you might look at an Egnater Tweaker 1x12 combo. They meet your specs except for the channel switching option. Versatile, lightweight... and could perhaps dial in a more Orange voicing. Even new with the 15% off net deals right now they'd be at your budget (with the option to return should you not favor it).

Really cool that your band is doing well!

Ive put the Tweaker and TT next together in an A/B situation(other amps included) The Tweaker could get close to the Orange but the Orange didnt do what the Tweaker could do. That is no recommendation for either btw. Just an observation.

Id be inclined to go a Fender type amp and stomps. Again not a recommendation just a personal preference. Its what I use to get from Van Morrison to Audio Slave even though I have two multi channel amps that can do that probably a little more convincingly.

My friend David builds amps as a hobby. He owns a scientific instrument company and has literally thousands of tubes sitting around.

http://tubeampfactory.com/amps/fb30r.html

30 watts, point to point, USA made, no excuses, $450.

He will build you a combo for a few dollars more, or a lower-powered combo for the same money.

I have two of his amps and have over 100 hours without problems on the older one.

+1 I was thinking about getting one myself before I decided to have Brian build me one..

wow that link Jack posted is a crazy deal

you could also look for a used Vox AC30CC1, could find one for ~$600

I always harp about these, but I would get a vintage '60's traynor Bassmaster....or maybe one of the heads with Verb & trem, they are fantastic sounding. priced around $500 or so generally

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the the Fender Blues Jr III (it's listed as being in the Hot Rod Series) and the regular Fender Blues Jr? It's confusing to see it listed in the Hot Rod Series -- I wonder what that means, maybe nothing much, but if somebody knows, please pipe up.

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the the Fender Blues Jr III (it's listed as being in the Hot Rod Series) and the regular Fender Blues Jr? It's confusing to see it listed in the Hot Rod Series -- I wonder what that means, maybe nothing much, but if somebody knows, please pipe up.

Just found out that the difference is the sparkle mod and lightening bolt speaker.

Have a look at the Vox Night Train NT15. Light as a feather and you get to choose what cab/speakers you play through.

Night Train and Egnater's are great sounding rock amps as is the Orange DualTerror. The Night Train allows you to switch from 7.5 and 15 and also has a couple op modes which give the amp some nice versatility. The Orange has similar versatility. Now that you bring it up, I think I want to check out the Night Train again. One more Amp that may be worth considering is Hughes and Kettner. I've been very happy with my Hughes and Kettner 20th (something like the Statesman Dual EL84) which could also be had in your price range.

I play my new H 535 trough a Valvetech Vac 25- a great amp and a awesome guitar. If you like blues and more you don't even have to have effect boxes with you, just the amp with a nice crunchy bluesy sound.

What I like most with those valve amps is, that they get better the warmer they are. So switch it on, leave it one hour on standby and then play it... (just kidding, start playing when it is on is ok as well)

Archived