Heritage Owners Club

KBP810 5E3, Tweed Deluxe on Order!

schundog

Brian opened the door, and I don't want to hijack here, and I hope Will (slammer) doesn't object, but he p.m.'d me to ask about the 5E3 I bought from Kenny. So below is a description I wrote for Will of what I hear in it with various of my guitars. It's a little honey! And I must mention, also, that I had some good advice from Howard (H), about the nature of the little beast and how best to dial it in, regarding the relationship of the two inputs' volume controls. Thought somebody might be interested.

Kenny's (my) amp is a Weber kit, with a vintage Magnavox speaker and some good Raytheon and TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) bottles. It was assembled by Kenny's amp guy, in Missouri. The work is impeccable! I just spent forty-five minutes with it, and a bunch of guitars (tone pots always between 7 and 10), no pedals (no reverb). In a nutshell, here's what I heard: 150 with Tom Short's Tombuckers (underwound), and the amp dimed, was what you'd expect. Saturated, hairy, with some discernable overtones, but basically a bowl of hot grits with plenty of Texas Pete. Definitive of what it is, and probably records well, with judicious reverb, but not much there for me anymore (personal taste, no reflection on the quality of what it was...a quality little 12" box, completely overdriven). With the volume rolled back to 5 or 6, things got more interesting, and the amp's subtleties became more apparent. Just warm 50's tube tone, transmitting clearly the characteristics of all three positions. Bite at the bridge, honk in the middle, and things warming up with the neck. All are tones that make me want to sit there and just play. My '73 Paul, with APH-1's had a bit more clarity in all three positions, overdriven and with the volume rolled back. At half volume, the warm, very very slightly boxy '50's tone of the amp was present. It's not high tech. It doesn't sound high tech; it's a simple signal path, and it presents the guitar, simply. The 535 with Seths presented better than the Pauls. A little more transparent and bright, while still warm, than the Pauls, with the amp wound up. At half-volume, It was woody, articulate and present, with that "snap and ring" I really like to hear in single notes...a very nice sounding combination! The 150 with Phat Cat P-90's...now the amp starts to come into its own. It was designed for single coils. The P-90's had crunch and grind at high volume, but with more clarity and distinction of individual notes within chords, more complexity and overtones, too. At half, very clear and articulate, chimey, but individual notes still have a touch of punch and pop. This guitar sounded very good through this amp. Then the Nash Strat, with Lollars. Well...here it is. Saturated across the board at speed, but all those Strat characteristics in each of the five positions were there in spades. The out-of-phase positions were particularly complex and grainy, just terrific. And the bridge p'up bit like a crosscut saw! At half volume, all of the positions were wonderful...just wanted to sit and play single not lines and double stops all day. Then, last, the Tele, with Tom Short's Wind City's. My favorite sounding guitar of the bunch, through that amp (with the 535, oddly enough, second). The oxymoronic articulate splash at the neck, honk from hell at the middle, and a grind like a leggy pole dancer on the bridge...just killer across the board! At half volume, pristine, ringing, clear, clean Tele.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The oxymoronic articulate splash at the neck, honk from hell at the middle, and a grind like a leggy pole dancer on the bridge...just killer across the board! At half volume, pristine, ringing, clear, clean Tele.

Gawd, you have a way with words! Until the last line, I wanted to play it. Now I think I want to sleep with it.

Keep it coming Rob!

I am a Fender amp guy, for the most part. I've been toying with the idea of some kind of amp build from Brian for awhile now, and I also have been intrigued by the tone of the 5E3 amps, the old Fender Tweed Deluxe (Both real and modelled, haha). After several PM conversations with Brian and multiple trips to YouTubeland, I decided to go for it. I sent Brian the check today, and decided to have Mr. Howling Wolf deliver it himself.....

http://reverbs003.jpg

I am really looking forward to this process! Thanks, Brian!

I gotta say that's the coolest stamp I've ever seen!

Guest HRB853370

Gawd, you have a way with words! Until the last line, I wanted to play it. Now I think I want to sleep with it.

Keep it coming Rob!

Thats so funny, I clipped out that exact quote and sent it back to Rob with the same comment, how he phrased that was so elegant!

Keep it coming Rob!

What he said! Thanks for the review Rob, now I'm REALLY going to be counting the days!

I gotta say that's the coolest stamp I've ever seen!

Hey, thanks. My 90 year old Uncle passed away this summer, and at the lunch after his funeral, his daughters pointed out a table at the side of the room that had hundreds of stamps that Uncle Frosty had collected over the years, and asked us all to take as many as we wanted, as long as we agreed to actually USE them to mail letters. Uncle Frosty, a former WWII Navy Pilot and University of Minnesota Professor, also got me slightly interested in collecting stamps in the mid 70s, when I was 8-12, probably. I didn't stick with it, but I always enjoyed the time I spent with him showing me the ropes. I hadn't seen him for years, but as I went over to that table to get some of these stamps, I got a little weepy. He was a really cool guy that, like a lot of our WWII vets, just came home and went about living the American life. Thanks for the memories, Uncle Frosty!

Incidentally, his much more serious brother joined the Army during WWII, and couldn't tell his wife where he even was. It turns out he was involved in the Manhattan Project. Their Brother in law, another uncle of mine was a B-52 Squadron Commander, doing bombing runs leaving from England to drop their special deliveries over Germany. Again, none of them really ever talked about it to me. This last uncle was a hog farmer in Aplington, IA when I knew him in the 70s and 80s. I asked him why he never got his civilian pilots license and got a plane. "Well, Brian, after having 4 big engines at your disposal on those 52s, I never really would have felt very safe in a Piper Cub or a Cessna." I had to laugh at that one. Sorry for writing a novel in response to your simply liking a stamp! haha.

Great choice :)

eb97e834.jpg

Howard, I love your wood cabinet, but I'm having mine done in tweed. I also like the nice touches you added, your "h" logo and "The Limey" on the bottom of the amp! Did I dream this, or did you do a thread on this build project? I tried to find it to no avail.

Guest HRB853370

Hey, thanks. My 90 year old Uncle passed away this summer, and at the lunch after his funeral, his daughters pointed out a table at the side of the room that had hundreds of stamps that Uncle Frosty had collected over the years, and asked us all to take as many as we wanted, as long as we agreed to actually USE them to mail letters. Uncle Frosty, a former WWII Navy Pilot and University of Minnesota Professor, also got me slightly interested in collecting stamps in the mid 70s, when I was 8-12, probably. I didn't stick with it, but I always enjoyed the time I spent with him showing me the ropes. I hadn't seen him for years, but as I went over to that table to get some of these stamps, I got a little weepy. He was a really cool guy that, like a lot of our WWII vets, just came home and went about living the American life. Thanks for the memories, Uncle Frosty!

Incidentally, his much more serious brother joined the Army during WWII, and couldn't tell his wife where he even was. It turns out he was involved in the Manhattan Project. Their Brother in law, another uncle of mine was a B-52 Squadron Commander, doing bombing runs leaving from England to drop their special deliveries over Germany. Again, none of them really ever talked about it to me. This last uncle was a hog farmer in Aplington, IA when I knew him in the 70s and 80s. I asked him why he never got his civilian pilots license and got a plane. "Well, Brian, after having 4 big engines at your disposal on those 52s, I never really would have felt very safe in a Piper Cub or a Cessna." I had to laugh at that one. Sorry for writing a novel in response to your simply liking a stamp! haha.

Nice story-I took notice of the 29 center myself. I have a bunch of 39 centers I bought a few years ago with vintage Harley Davidsons on them. I initially was going to save them, but WTF, its money right? So I went out to my local PO and bought lots of 5 centers so I can mail stuff with them now.

It doesn't look easy at all - I mean, it starts out looking easy, but if you keep watching that film, there seems to be layer, and layers, and layers of work that has to get done. After awhile, you see how complex it really is.

That is awesome.... we all know that the KBP amps are exceptional.

Louder%2520amps.jpg

+1 Congrats bro!! Just let him finish mine first..LOL

Howard, I love your wood cabinet, but I'm having mine done in tweed. I also like the nice touches you added, your "h" logo and "The Limey" on the bottom of the amp! Did I dream this, or did you do a thread on this build project? I tried to find it to no avail.

Man..what a sweet amp!! the Tele's not too shabby either!!

Thanks :) Yes, I built this over a few months early last year. The thread is here: http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/11628-5e3-amp-build-project/

Thanks, Howard, I'm starting to go through your thread; WOW, 1 inch thick wood cabinet! That ought to stop a bullet! haha.

American circuit, English wood and speaker. A truly trans-Atlantic treat :)

You will love yours :)

Great story to go with the stamp!

Great story to go with the stamp!

Oops, I just re-read this post, and found an error that none of you probably care about, but it was glaring to me! My Uncle Ivan was a B-17 squadron commander. B-52s were very different birds, jets, that came out during the Cold War, and are still in use today!

Oops, I just re-read this post, and found an error that none of you probably care about, but it was glaring to me! My Uncle Ivan was a B-17 squadron commander. B-52s were very different birds, jets, that came out during the Cold War, and are still in use today!

We'll let it slide this time just don't let it happen again!

• 3 weeks later...

It's on a truck, out for delivery by the end of the day Wednesday!!

That is good news for me, one less in front of me! We want pics and clips when you get it!

Archived