Heritage Owners Club

NHD - This may have been used as an oar by the Navy SEALs

totonka

i dont have a bass amp

yeah ya do. set power switch to PUNCH, flip preamp voicing switches to "UK"...50-watt Marshall Superbass. helps to have bass cab, but Colonial cab works for low-mid volume situations :icon_sunny:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah , replace that odd tuner for sure. And some clean and polish on the body, oil the fretboard, then make sure the electronics are 100%... and you're done. It should make a great bass.

I agree. A good bass should be a bit beat. Not too heavy on the polish ,,,don't want to de-funk the funk. Very cool find. Congrats.

heh...as James Jamerson once said "the gunk gives it the funk"

really cool bass....I vote you should bring it to PSP V :D

Prolly will. I've been playing around with it and its fun. Anybody know what kind of knobs those are on there? I want to replace them with the same kind.

Sweet Dude!! Truly a rare find!! 5 strings scare the crap out of me though, I never know what to do with that bottom "B"..LOL

Sweet Dude!! Truly a rare find!! 5 strings scare the crap out of me though, I never know what to do with that bottom "B"..LOL

Don't tell me these things! Right now, I'm too dumb with it to know what the heck I'm doing anyway! (Somebody else told me the same thing!) Ha Ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I sent pictures of the bass to Heritage. Today, I had the high honor of speaking with Ren, Marv and Bill at Heritage. From the best of their recollection, there were probably 5-8 of these built. And, unfortunately, they don't have any spare parts left over for me to pillage from them.

Either way, it was a great excuse to speak with the Masters.

• 2 months later...

I just got it back from the Doc's. Fretboard looks great, frets are dressed, all of the tuners match now, and it has some new knobs attached. Pics to follow. The resurrection is nearly complete. Whoever did the other tuner job was a real jackass with it. But now, it looks great!

Well here is the A/B comparison:

The headstock when I originally received the guitar had this odd Gotoh tuner installed, see in the lower right, where the rest of the tuners were Schallers.

Before:

6882517977_02fc3010ed.jpg

After:

It also got a new nut, since the old one came off in two pieces.

DSC_7866a.jpg?gl=US

The original knobs were cracked and falling apart:

Before

6882516967_0a0de1eace.jpg

So I put some new knobs on it.

After

DSC_7868a.jpg?gl=US

The fretboard was starting to dry out and really needed some attention.

Before

6882516703_5b4435eacc.jpg

So I had it oiled, and the frets were dressed and polished

After

DSC_7871.JPG?gl=US

Here is a close-up of the repair to the tuner hole. Unfortunately, the asshat who installed the Gotoh tuner did not appreciate the precise diameter radius that drill bits can make, and instead looked as though he jimmied the hole bigger with a pocket knife. As a result, the repair had to be made with epoxy instead of a wooden dowel. On the plus side of it though, it is a strong, stable repair that allowed for the restoration of the original style Schaller tuner.

DSC_7872.JPG?gl=US

I think as a final measure, I'll hit it up with some polish and call it a day. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

That looks like a bass that would provide some serious low end thump ..!

Fixing those details helps a lot. I can't really tell about the finish, but it looks fine from what I can see.

I'd play that . It has a cool , ominous look. :ph34r:

Archived