Heritage Owners Club

Amp Guru Help Requested

So, I moved to Malaysia a year ago and shipped my DRRI. It's US voltage (115), though everything here is 220.

Whenever I play through the amp, I get a few minutes of perfect tone. But then the volume dies and the tone gets muffled. The odd part is, it goes back to normal if I switch the standby switch off then on. But then the whole cycle repeats itself.

I just changed Preamp tubes before moving, but am wondering if this is a sign of tube failure. Or is it a likely side effect of the different electrical frequency despite my using a hefty transformer.

All thoughts appreciated.

Guest HRB853370

So, I moved to Malaysia a year ago and shipped my DRRI. It's US voltage (115), though everything here is 220.

Whenever I play through the amp, I get a few minutes of perfect tone. But then the volume dies and the tone gets muffled. The odd part is, it goes back to normal if I switch the standby switch off then on. But then the whole cycle repeats itself.

I just changed Preamp tubes before moving, but am wondering if this is a sign of tube failure. Or is it a likely side effect of the different electrical frequency despite my using a hefty transformer.

Cant help you on your problem, but I have always wanted to live in Malaysia.

I think the world is wired at 60Hz so there shouldn't be an electrical frequency issue. However doubling the voltage across he trannys is not a good idea. Can you get a voltage transformer or variac to get back to 110? You also have an option of replacing the 110V trannys with 220V.

So you're using a 110v amp in a 220v area ? I'm surprised it works at all, I'd have thought you would need a transformer of some sort to run it ?

By "hefty transformer", I assume you're already using a step down transformer in front of it - I would assume that it's 60Hz as well, though if not, a parasitic oscillation could be possible, which could in turn potentially cause symptoms such as what you've described... though my initial guess would be failing power tubes and/or failing screen resistor; sometime that may work at first, but then begin to fail as it comes to operating temperature.

I would start with a known working pair of power tubes and then go from there

If you are not using a transformer or variac to step down the voltage, then cease and desist immediately and get one (or swap the transformer in the amp for a 220v primary), and then hope for the best that no damage has been done :)

Insufficient data in the original post.

If your trying to run an amp designed off of American power-115V/60hz on Euro power which is 220V/50hz I have NO doubt what-so-ever that your having problems.

Are you using a step up/down transformer of any sort?

what they said, I wouldn't use it without a stepdown transformer between the wall & your amp

it is not like most computers which now have an autoswitching power supply

it is possible your amp has a 220v setting on the power transformer...they do sell Fender amps in Europe etc but you'd probably have to manually switch it

ps if you're using one of those small flimsy power converters that will not do the job...you need a proper transformer like this, rated for whatever the back of your amps says x2

I have one of these I need to use for my old Marshall, which is only tapped for 220v

ps this link has some other useful info too

http://www.gson.org/stepdown/

Thanks guys. For the record, I'm using a very substantial power down transformer. US voltage amps are completely inoperable at 220v, the fuse blows immediately.

What I have is a periodic collapse in volume and clarity. The odd part, to me, is that it seems to rectify itself when switching the standby switch off and on.

I had heard you could still have issues here with tube amps, but not solid state, despite using the transformer. Though I never had this issue with this amp in China or South Africa (also both 220v).

Would it have to be the power tubes? Or would a bad Preamp tube cause similar symptoms?

• 4 weeks later...

It's possible, but seems less likely to me; power tubes or rectifier tube would still be my top two suspects

(At the risk of starting a sub thread of which tubes are better...) The only thing I know about tubes is that (according to my specific GC guitar guru) the tubes made in Russia are supposed to be the best. I guess the point I'm trying to make is maybe there is a better brand of tube which can be installed. Or maybe all the tubes should be made by the same company in order to be balanced or something. IDK, that's all I got.

My VOX amp has a single tube in it and the aforementioned guru sold me a GT (Groove Tubes) Silver Series tube. As in www.groovetubes.com.

(At the risk of starting a sub thread of which tubes are better...) The only thing I know about tubes is that (according to my specific GC guitar guru) the tubes made in Russia are supposed to be the best. I guess the point I'm trying to make is maybe there is a better brand of tube which can be installed. Or maybe all the tubes should be made by the same company in order to be balanced or something. IDK, that's all I got.

My VOX amp has a single tube in it and the aforementioned guru sold me a GT (Groove Tubes) Silver Series tube. As in www.groovetubes.com.

Not a lot of choices either... Russia or China...

Archived