Heritage Owners Club

Soldano supercharger gto

big bob

Some of you know that our own cable meister Der Steiner is somewhat of a high gain afficenato. A guru of gain as it were.. Well today I had the distinct pleasure of putting one of his high gain monsters through its paces. The Soldano Supercharger GTO... To call this aluminum clad snarling dog a pedal is like calling Brentrocks's gas a little tummy trouble. I would place this thing firmly in the "other" category. I ran this through my frankenchamp today and it was nothing short of adding a high gain channel. Did I mention that this thing is mind numbing loud. Even through a 12 watt amp this sucker can peal the paint of the neighbors outhouse. This thing is so loud that even at low volume it still sounds loud. I can honestly say I now understand Van Hallen, and Malemstien.. It makes the fretboard so incredibly touch sensitive it scary. I only played this for a couple of hours but with this little gem I'm truly energetic about learning pinch harmonics, look out Mr. Gibbons here comes Lance.

I must also say that with out a wonderful friend like Gregg I probably would never have been able to try one of these.

Thanks Buddy, you da man!

Big Bob - it's fun to put things in your hands. Being the mad scientist you are, your creativity and ability to think about these toys in different ways really helps me. I bought the Supercharger GTO with specific duties in mind; it works fine in those conditions but already, I never thought to use it for low volume, high gain. What a great idea! Time to get down another one and play!

BTW it has two onboard transformers and a choke; the two 12AX7s run at regular 100+V amp voltage. It's fun to call it a pedal 'cause you step on the switch; hell, I even adjust the Gain, Tone and Overdrive knobs with my foot. If it is a pedal, it's the biggest one I've owned - a good 5 or 6 times the footprint of a standard Boss pedal. At ~8lbs, it's the heaviest item in the gig bag.

Play in good health Big Bob! And, please, do keep us abreast!

:tongue9: holy. sh*t.

Really? 12 watt Champ?

The franken champ has up sized transformers and some simple mods. It can run most tubes, 6v6,6l6,el34,kt66.... More

I like it for now with a 6l6 in it. Which I would guess is about 12 watts..

The franken champ has up sized transformers and some simple mods. It can run most tubes, 6v6,6l6,el34,kt66.... More

I like it for now with a 6l6 in it. Which I would guess is about 12 watts..

and as I recall you were running through a decent sized cab at PSP, weren't you? 1X12?

He was working on that for me.. I think it got the better of him!

And how! The issue wasn't really building it... it was builidng it and fitting it in a box that would still somewhat resemble a foot pedal! Soldano uses dual layered PCB in that pedal, for as big as it already is, it could have been a lot bigger. (not to mention imagining doing that in a handwired PTP variation)

That wasn't the real problem I ran into though... the problem I had was first convincing Mercury to make me a transformer for it (they are no longer made), and then watching it go up in smoke on the first power on attempt because someone, not mentioning names (KBP810!) had accidentatly reversed the pinouts.

I eventually obtained a replacement for it, but never took the project back up and evenually passed the part on to a fellow AG member.

And how! The issue wasn't really building it... it was builidng it and fitting it in a box that would still somewhat resemble a foot pedal! Soldano uses dual layered PCB in that pedal, for as big as it already is, it could have been a lot bigger. (not to mention imagining doing that in a handwired PTP variation)

That wasn't the real problem I ran into though... the problem I had was first convincing Mercury to make me a transformer for it (they are no longer made), and then watching it go up in smoke on the first power on attempt because someone, not mentioning names (KBP810!) had accidentatly reversed the pinouts.

I eventually obtained a replacement for it, but never took the project back up and evenually passed the part on to a fellow AG member.

Thanks for the effort!

that thing is scary!

It's a serious tool in the sound path. Punch the "on" button and you get a brand new amp to play. It's a good life!

solandhiwatt 001.JPG

My nana drove one like this. She would drive it to the hair salon when she got her monthly blue rinse.

Clips or pics? :)

LOL My grandmother used to get a blue rinse as well. Hysterical! Fortunately, chemistry got us past that!

Don't forget your screaming overdrive combination. Just keep a clean pair of underwear handy...

Archived