Heritage Owners Club

Experience with wah's..

DetroitBlues

When I first started back into playing guitar a few years ago, I had a Digitech multi-effects unit. I really liked their simulated Dunlop Crybaby, so when I started to buy pedals, the Crybaby was the only wah I wanted. My first was a used GCB95, but it was so worn out it barely did anything. From there I had a GCB535Q, which again was used and had features I didn't like and it was really scratchy. Earlier this year, I bought a GCB95F Classic, again used. Up until recently, it was fine, but it's pot was scratchy again. I bought a replacement pot, but it was bad out of the box. Since I needed a wah for last nights show, I borrowed a Morely Bad Horsey Wah from my guitar tech. This unit has an optical sensor for the sweep instead of a pot, so it dissent get dirty or worn out, this one was over 20 years old. I was really uncertain with it, though. Band said it sounded good and didnt have that low end mud of a crybaby when I have the heel all the way down.

What wah's have you used, which did you like or keep and which did you not care for?

Like you, DB, my favorite sounding wah is the original. I use an original, late 60's Thomas Organ Cry Baby model 95-910511 that is battery only. It was barely used when I bought it last year. It has the best sweep and tones of any wah I've used. Fortunately the original pot still works without scratchiness.

For playing out I typically use a late 90's Dunlop Volume/Wah pedal. It's a better volume pedal than wah, but when the band gets going I get a decent wah thang going on.

There are tons of good wahs out there now.

In some rooms wah makes me feel ill. I returned one Crybaby because it made feel really ill at practice. I couldnt use it. I swapped it for a vox. Its a sweeter sound but smaller sweep. Not as funky I dont think.

Best high gain wah for me is the Morley Bad Horsie 2. But the sweep is to far for me for usual stuff.

I have kinda given up on wah.

I've only owned one Dunlop wah, which I bought in 1992. I've been thinking of a replacement, but just haven't done anything about it. The wah is one of three pedals I use (the others are a delay and a distortion, both MXR), and I am curious to see what others will say. I never heard anything like what Jeff said, feeling ill with a wah sound. I learned something today.

Yeah, Hendrix, SRV, sure, but I also like the wah in stuff like Let's Get it On (Marvin Gaye), and Haitian Divorce (Steely Dan).

I've only owned one Dunlop wah, which I bought in 1992. I've been thinking of a replacement, but just haven't done anything about it. The wah is one of three pedals I use (the others are a delay and a distortion, both MXR), and I am curious to see what others will say. I never heard anything like what Jeff said, feeling ill with a wah sound. I learned something today.

Ive never heard of it before either and get sideways glances when I mention it. It was just one point on the wah that did it, a transition point that you had to move through with each rock back and forth. Physically ill feeling. Like fingernails on a black board feeling I would imagine. ( that sound doesnt bother me)

My vote is for Wilson Effects. Sort of on the high end side for Wah's but not as expensive as Teese, Fulltone or Area 51, he makes several different models.

Mine is a 6 position Rippah Wah with vintage spec wiring, all hand wired adjustable sweep, q and bass gain. I like this wah more than any other I've ever tried. Mine was 185 with all the bells and whistles, without vintage spec wiring I think it's 165.

my main wah is an old, beatup dunlop crybaby that I replaced the pot on, ages ago

also have a jimi hendrix wah, and a buddha wah. they are almost identical, except for some minor circuit differences. they appear to be manufactured by the same company ( dunlop ) even though the buddha is funkified purple w/chrome

ps you know you can adjust the sweep on a wah? pull it apart....loosen the doo-hickey on the cog & slide the teeth to where you like the wah range

my brother found a vox wah at a goodwill for $20!!

my main wah is an old, beatup dunlop crybaby that I replaced the pot on, ages ago

also have a jimi hendrix wah, and a buddha wah. they are almost identical, except for some minor circuit differences. they appear to be manufactured by the same company ( dunlop ) even though the buddha is funkified purple w/chrome

ps you know you can adjust the sweep on a wah? pull it apart....loosen the doo-hickey on the cog & slide the teeth to where you like the wah range

my brother found a vox wah at a goodwill for $20!!

+1

the wah in stuff like ... Haitian Divorce (Steely Dan).

Wearing my pedant hat, I should point out that on the studio version of Haitian Divorce the solo was done using a talk box. It is however possible to perform it with a wah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiuMA-Q90lA

Wearing my pedant hat, I should point out that on the studio version of Haitian Divorce the solo was done using a talk box. It is however possible to perform it with a wah...

I have no impact on the whole wah pedal discussion ( I have an old Ibanez that sounds great, actually I think SRV used the same one for awhile, but I rarely use it).

What I wanted to add is how unbelievably INCREDIBLE a guitarist Jon Herington is for Steely Dan. He and Walter have been there two guitarists since what '96?

He is right up there with Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. He is a monster guitarist with incredible tone!!!!!

Interesting video, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Steely Dan... Wish I could say I'm impressesed, but I'm not. Sorry fellas.

I have the Dunlop CB I bought in 1970. I've had one of the newer ones, and a Carvin wah (not good). Oh, and a ChiWahWah - funky little pedal about the size of a boss pedal. Best of the bunch after the original '70CB.

Interesting video, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Steely Dan... Wish I could say I'm impressesed, but I'm not. Sorry fellas.

I just don't even know where to go with this statement......

It kind of reminds me of there song "Hey, 19... We can't talk at all"

Are you aware of the guitarist that played with/for Steely Dan? Larry Carlton, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Jon Herington, Walter Becker....

Steely Dan is in my top 5 favorite Bands of all time.

But to each there own.

I just don't even know where to go with this statement......

It kind of reminds me of there song "Hey, 19... We can't talk at all"

Are you aware of the guitarist that played with/for Steely Dan? Larry Carlton, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Jon Herington, Walter Becker....

Steely Dan is in my top 5 favorite Bands of all time.

But to each there own.

I was just talking about that song...

I was just talking about that song...

Oh, OK, I got you now. Yea, Walter's voice is not nearly as good as Donald Fagen's (maybe that is why Walter has only sang one song with Steely Dan!!!) but Jon Herington's solo and tone was excellent I thought!!!!

I got a chance to see him play a few weeks ago at a clinic we had here in the Detroit area. The clinic was titled "The Art of the Groove" where he was backed up by Jim Beard on keyboard, Freddy Washington on bass, and Shannon Forest, drums. They played many Steely Dan songs (including Hey 19) and made it look easy. Jon can be very fast when he wants to be, but the topic was really about rhythm; finding and playing in the groove. I think that's been a hallmark of his and some of the other guitarists Kuz mentioned. They're not show-offs.

For Jon's part, he sees himself as backup to Fagan and Walter. When his turn comes for a solo, while he can't help putting his stamp on the song, he's mindful to honor the original version that the audience expects to hear. He's a real pro.

He's also paid his dues. Jon spent 20 years in the business doing session work, playing in clubs -sometimes to empty chairs. Then, in the late 90s got a break when he was given a chance with Steely Dan.

Oh, OK, I got you now. Yea, Walter's voice is not nearly as good as Donald Fagen's (maybe that is why Walter has only sang one song with Steely Dan!!!) but Jon Herington's solo and tone was excellent I thought!!!!

It wasn't bad, but I had to stay awake to hear it....

I got a chance to see him play a few weeks ago at a clinic we had here in the Detroit area. The clinic was titled "The Art of the Groove" where he was backed up by Jim Beard on keyboard, Freddy Washington on bass, and Shannon Forest, drums. They played many Steely Dan songs (including Hey 19) and made it look easy. Jon can be very fast when he wants to be, but the topic was really about rhythm; finding and playing in the groove. I think that's been a hallmark of his and some of the other guitarists Kuz mentioned. They're not show-offs.

For Jon's part, he sees himself as backup to Fagan and Walter. When his turn comes for a solo, while he can't help putting his stamp on the song, he's mindful to honor the original version that the audience expects to hear. He's a real pro.

He's also paid his dues. Jon spent 20 years in the business doing session work, playing in clubs -sometimes to empty chairs. Then, in the late 90s got a break when he was given a chance with Steely Dan.

Man oh man, what I would have given to be there!!!!!!!!!!

I agree he is understated in his playing, but he can rip it up with the best of them if he wants to.

David Grissom is very similar that understated aspect, except coming from a more blue-driven genre.

He and Walter have been there two guitarists since what '96?

Wayne Krantz was the guitarist in 1996, but Jon Herrington was the man after that. It was a great thrill to see the Dan in '96 - WK brought his own unique style to those great tunes. Herrington's great as well - let's face it, you've got to be good to get that gig!

Archived