Heritage Owners Club

Which Heritage

plectrum

This my first post.  I am trying to decide on my first Heritage.  I want the most versatile instrument I can have for a variety of styles.  This will be my only and probably last axe.  I want something built like a tank, but I don't want it to sound like one.  Since I started with the bass weight is not an issue. I like blues, jazz and clean tones.I don't think I will ever play well enough to  play the hard metal shred, and distortion stuff.  Are there any suggestions? 

575, sweet 16, 535, 550,  not to bust on you but we all have said at one point or another

"This will be my only and probably last axe. "

If you truly believe that you should run to the exit and never come back, and if a guy named Brent stops to chat with you,

plug your ears

tap your heals togeather three times

and say, I do not have gas, I do not have gas, I do not have gas...

god luck to ya.

PS, I do think a 575 would work great for ya, love mine, I have had it for ten years and would not dream of selling it.

Welcome!

I agree with big bob--sounds like an H575 is exactly what you're looking for. Though I mostly play rock and blues, the 575 is very versatile. I use my H150 for the heavy rock and metal stuff, though.

An H535 might be a viable option as well.

Good luck in your search!

I vote 535 or 535 (really only difference is 555 is more fancy)

Hey, Larry Carlton picked the 335 (or our 535) because it was the most versatile. I think he has done alright for himself! ;D

Last guitar...

Get a 555. 

It has the solid block in the middle for the sustain of a solid body, the resonance and sing of a hollow body, and the extra garnish you would wish you had paid a little more for, being as its "your last guitar".  wink wink sly grin  ;D

Another vote for the 535 or 555.  My personal preference is the 535.  I find the maple neck and ebony fingerboard of the 555 makes it sound a little edgier when distorted - the 535 just sounds full and warm.

Based on your criteria, I'd suggest either a 535 or 555, depending on your need for more or less bling.

These two semi-hollows can handle more volume before feeding back, if you plan on playing out.  And it is a killer blues axe!  8)

And this will definitely be your first and only guitar.  Yea, right!  :laughing7::laughing9::laughing1::laughing9:

Another vote for the 535 or 555.  My personal preference is the 535. I find the maple neck and ebony fingerboard of the 555 makes it sound a little edgier when distorted - the 535 just sounds full and warm.

My thoughts exactly. Never cared for ebony finger board except on a dedicated jazz archtops or acoustics. Mahogany/Rosewood all the way , babe  :afro:

I don't know why the 535 hasn't been mentioned yet.  I love my two.  :wink:

Last I heard they were still being hand made. 

width=318 height=480http://www.ronwarren.com/hoc08/img_8688_std.jpg[/img]

since you've been persuaded to go with the 535 type, which would have been my advice too, now you have to decide on appointments and color.

May I suggest antique natural?  a 535, with dot inlays.  Since I don't own a 535 model (yet), I'm not gonna recommend the pickups.  But the Duncan antiquities seem to be popular.

Similar to this:

http://davesguitar.com/products.html?13256

let us know when you make the move.

at almost 1100$ this is a much safer tryout.

[/img]

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1891553

IMHO, you can do a lot better holding off on this guitar with 'dings & CRACKS' and all the modifications. Might want to ask Brent what a better condition 535 on goes for. Maybe $200-300 more and you can get a lifer (but don't ask Brent about 'lifers'...)

535 all the way from me also  :thumbsup:

Buffalo Brothers have a 2007 535 in stock ... no pics though

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/heritage.html

2007 Heritage H-535 Classic Almond Sunburst: (Exc-) This is definitely one of the classic guitars that belongs in any players stable of "go to" instruments.  Based on the familiar 335, this is Heritage's well made version featuring Duncan '59's humbuckers in a gorgeous Almond Sunburst finish.  Double bound body and bound neck with a superb feeling fingerboard gives every reason to pick this guitar up off the rack ~ and once you plug it in and hear, it gives every reason to keep on playing her for decades to come!  With hardcase.  $1,650.  Stock #UGB24739

Much as I really wanted to just be contrary and tell you to ignore all the other guys on this list... Having recently purchased one, I have to throw my hat in the 535 ring also. In terms on versatility I think that's what you'll probably want.

My suggestion however is to take a deep breath and try not to give into the attacks of GAS just because you see one.. and.. and.. because you MUST have one.. Take your time and don't rush into it. There will ultimately be plenty to choose from. If you're interested in buying new, the people on this list can tell you who to talk too. If you're interested in used, feel free to post something you're not sure about, and you'll probably be really surprised at how helpful everyone here is (not sure what's up with that?)  8) I am of course the total exception to this (helpful thing..), as everything I say is always a lie!

I have been in contact with Jay Wolfe. So I may buy one from him.  I don't like Seymour Duncan pickups, I might ask for a Lundgren Smooth Operator in the neck and Sucker Bucker in the bridge.  I think this will bring out both the warm and hot sounds on this superb instrument.

whats not to love about seymours? They are very consistant in their tone from pickup to pickup and they sound awesome, especially seth lovers in a 535.

I would advise anyone that is buying an instrument without fully having an intimate experience with it first hand.... Dont spend too much out of the gate, if your patient and you find a deal and there is alot less potential to lose money if you want to try something new....

BELIEVE ME MOST OF THE PLAYERS HERE, HAVE TRIED ALOT OF DIFFERENT GEAR.... heck, my first guitar had a basswood body and looked like I should have been playing in WASP.... all the cool blood splatter paint!!

At least you are looking at a real players guitar.

Archived