Heritage Owners Club

H535 Pick ups

Telenic

I'm looking for a used 535 I can use for jazz and blues. Which pick ups would give me a smooth warm tone, not too aggressive and not too bright? I had a Prospect with Schallers and didn't care too much for those, I currently have a 575 with a single SD 59' and I like that pick up.

Used 535's seem to come in a wide variety of pick ups ranging from HRW's, Seth Lovers, Schallers, and one I'm not familiar with...Golden Age???

Any advise would be helpful since I probably won't be able to play the guitar before I buy it.

Thanks,

Seth Lover's work well for me and they'll get my vote. As a general rule, I don't select used guitars based on pickups since they can so easily and relativey inexpensively be changed. Playability, finish, condition, price... those are what I look at in the used market.

My 535 has Seymour Duncan '59's....very vintage PAF sounding....I prefer these because they are potted (unlike Seth Lovers and I think Schallers as well) and have less of a chance of being microphonic......

My new 575 has Lollar Imperials (regular wind) and they are great!!!! Same pickup Collings uses in their hollow and semi hollow bodies.....

Regards,

55Tele....

Seth Lover's work well for me and they'll get my vote. As a general rule, I don't select used guitars based on pickups since they can so easily and relativey inexpensively be changed. Playability, finish, condition, price... those are what I look at in the used market.

I understand, in fact I have replacement pick ups in almost every guitar I have. But I'd like to get close to what I want without having to spend an extra couple hundred dollars.

Telenic, you'll be able to get nice rich warm tones from any of the pickups mentioned in the OP.

The Seth's and Schallers will be more PAF-like -if that's what you're looking for.

I have tried them all and in my opinion, semi-hollows are the hardest to select pickups for. Again, I tried them all and only one gave me more mids and lows to fatten up the tone.

Throbak PG-102s

Another vote for Lollar Imperials here. I have them in my 555 and in one of the 150s and they are the best humbuckers I own. The Duncan 59s a bit darker by comparison. I have those in the 535 and another 150. The 59s shine when using distortion but clean they are not as balanced as the Lollars.

Guest HRB853370

Not to further muddy the waters of choice, but consider the 57 classics from Gibson. I don't know how to describe them compared to other pickups, but they sound very pleasing in my 535!

I listened to two 535's with identical Schaller pickups, that sounded completely different. The guitars were were made within two years of each other too, so I doubt there were significant differences in their construction. I have no idea what the variables are that caused that result, but there are no guarantees that any given pickup will sound the way you expected when you finally take delivery. Your best bet is probably the one recommended by fxdx99 - get the guitar you want for the right price, and work on the pickup later. FWIW - you will be able to lessen the pain by selling the old pickups too, especially if you get a 535 with HRWs.

What part of the world are you located in? If you are not in a hurry, you may be able to try before you buy, especially if you go to the next PSP and buy from one of the attendees. I found local deals both through eBay and through Craigslist.

Brad

I listened to two 535's with identical Schaller pickups, that sounded completely different. The guitars were were made within two years of each other too, so I doubt there were significant differences in their construction. I have no idea what the variables are that caused that result, but there are no guarantees that any given pickup will sound the way you expected when you finally take delivery. Your best bet is probably the one recommended by fxdx99 - get the guitar you want for the right price, and work on the pickup later. FWIW - you will be able to lessen the pain by selling the old pickups too, especially if you get a 535 with HRWs.

What part of the world are you located in? If you are not in a hurry, you may be able to try before you buy, especially if you go to the next PSP and buy from one of the attendees. I found local deals both through eBay and through Craigslist.

Brad

The values of the pots make an enormous difference. Some of these guitars may have 250k or 300k ohm pots and you really want 500k. Gibson has used 300k pots and these are just too dark in my opinion. I save the 250k pots for single coil strats and teles.

I'm more of a classic rock kinda guy with jazz preferences.

My 335 has SD APH2's and they sound amazing great!

My 575 has SD '59's but modified with an A2 magnet in the neck and an Un-oriented A5 in the bridge. The magnet swap gave the pickups a smoother sound - but the A5's are a good magnet too. Just my preference. Magnets are only $4 or so each.

The Yank

+1 on all that. Antiquities, which I believe are pretty much like Seths, work great in mine.

Archived