Heritage Owners Club

Pickup Suggestions for H-535

tbonesullivan

Well, looks like I may have to replace the pickups in my H-535. The neck pickup hums, and my tech confirmed that it's the pickup itself. The sound seems a little off, and we both thing that its life in a damp basement may have caused corrosion inside the pickup, leading to this. It also may be a good idea to replace the entire wiring harness, as there is visible corrosion on the pots. I mean, when I got the 535, the grover tuners were almost green.

So, now the question is, what to put in it? I am not really into super expensive boutique pickups, at all. I love my the sound of seymour duncan '59s in every guitar I have them in, and also have had good luck with the Custom 5, JB, etc. However, I remember back when I had an epiphone sheraton, and the pickup that was almost universally recommended was not the '59, but it's slightly meaner brother, the SD Pearly Gates pickups. These are a bit more expensive than the '59s and seth lovers, but I've already got some seth lovers in the millie, and also i want maybe a bit more bite. I've also looked into the Alnico Pro IIs, though they might be a bit too mellow for what I want out of my 535.

Of course, there's no big issue with getting '59s, but I like to keep my options open.

Then of course I need to decide whether to go for open coils, or nickel covers.

Throbak PG-102s (and I might have a pair I could sell you at an HOC price). These are the ones Jon recommends in semi-hollow (535/555) body guitars.

PM if you are interested.

! I recently made an impulse purchase of a set of HRWs. I had grand aspirations of putting them in something novel, but I'm quickly coming to the realization that I am out of my depth on this project. let me know if you'd be interested; i will sell them to you for what i paid + shipping, etc. i paid 250.

Guest HRB853370

! I recently made an impulse purchase of a set of HRWs. I had grand aspirations of putting them in something novel, but I'm quickly coming to the realization that I am out of my depth on this project. let me know if you'd be interested; i will sell them to you for what i paid + shipping, etc. i paid 250.

I was gonna suggest HRW's

I have HRWS in the Kahuna, and i like them there, but how are they in a Semi-hollow compared to a solid body? They have a good amount of bite, and are almost like Filtertrons at times. However, I'm thinking maybe a bit more modern-vintage sounding, which is why i was looking at the Pearly Gates.

Of course I've also gotta check the routing in the H535. If it's not routed for the long legs like you'd find on Throbaks, SD 59s and Seths, etc, that would definitely increase cost. I am definitely NOT comfortable drilling into my guitar.

I have HRWS in the Kahuna, and i like them there, but how are they in a Semi-hollow compared to a solid body? They have a good amount of bite, and are almost like Filtertrons at times. However, I'm thinking maybe a bit more modern-vintage sounding, which is why i was looking at the Pearly Gates.

Of course I've also gotta check the routing in the H535. If it's not routed for the long legs like you'd find on Throbaks, SD 59s and Seths, etc, that would definitely increase cost. I am definitely NOT comfortable drilling into my guitar.

I have HRWs in a semi-solid Millie, and a semi-hollow 535. The semi-hollow is a somewhat brighter, or more open sounding. I think there's a mellower quality to them in the Millie. Plenty of bite in both guitars.

I like P-Rails. Don't get the hot set.

You can either do push-pulls or use the Triple Shots. I'd favor the latter but not by a wide margin.

Yeah, not looking for "hot", but something good. Now, I've got a Hamer Newport with '59 and Custom 5 pickups, and I LOVE the sounds I get from that. Another possibility might be a custom custom bridge, and Alnico Pro II in the neck. Though, the AP II is a bit low output. Though, so are the seth lovers and '59s.

Choices choices.

How is the sound on those, compared to "normal" humbuckers? how about p-90s? I've seen/heard the demos that SD posted, but real experiences tend to be more informative. ALso, did you need to get the archtop triple shot rings, or did the flat ones work for you?

How is the sound on those, compared to "normal" humbuckers? how about p-90s? I've seen/heard the demos that SD posted, but real experiences tend to be more informative. ALso, did you need to get the archtop triple shot rings, or did the flat ones work for you?

Series humbucker is full and warm, fat even. Parallel has less output and is clearer, great for rhythm strumming. P90 tone is good, the volume drops a bit, to maybe two thirds of series, the single coil setting drops lower again in volume. I generally prefer the P-Rails / triple shots to HRWs / VIP, the neck and bridge balance together with no problems, plus the combinations of neck P90 and bridge parallel etc are actually useable.

I'm 99% certain the arched rings were used on the 535.

Another versatile pickup is the Fralin Unbucker. The bobbins are not equally wrapped, so one coil has a higher output. Yet it is hum canceling.

The humbucking mode has a nice PAF sound. Coil splitting gives a much more pleasing single coil tone without much volume drop.

Archived