Heritage Owners Club

Do you actually play ALL of your Heritage guitars?

HANGAR18

I don't play my Heritages out on regular gigs. They'll go to rehearsals sometimes. But they don't really fit the bill for what I'm doing right now.

I think my Prospect is probably the best guitar I've ever owned. It sits out as my at home practice guitar.

The Millie DC NFH rarely sees the light.

The PSP White 555 Custom is a cool guitar, but I don't drag it to gigs anymore.

The H40 Mandolin - too cool! It's my at home practice mando.

I have several non-Heritage guitars that have been "retired". I'll get them out every now and then. But don't really gig them. Can't let them go for sentimental value.

That's a real shame to retire guitars like that. Is there any model that does suite what you're playing out in tour?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a real shame to retire guitars like that. Is there any model that does suite what you're playing out in tour?

Out in tour! Love it. Not so much lately, tho'. Too cold to go where we've been playing. Staying at home for a while.

As for the guitars, I'm not convinced it's the guitars so much as it's the pickup/guitar/amp combinations. And I think I just happened to fall into a combo that works for what we're doing. You know the guitar is a Larrivee. The Mesa TA I just traded for on a lark. But between Matthew's pickups, the slab 'hog body (and electronics) and the AC15-type amp I can do nearly everything but a Strat sound with that rig. Other guitars, like the '74 LPC - too heavy for my age; PRS CE24 - too "modern tone"; the Stambaugh Custom - neck way too thin; things like that keep me from playing them. I do think if I could find a set of Matthew's pickups for the Prospect that it could find it's way back on stage. Love that guitar, but the PhatCats just don't quite cut it like the ML 'buckers do. Could be Maple body vs 'hog body, too, I guess. :dontknow:

Love that guitar, but the PhatCats just don't quite cut it like the ML 'buckers do.

So i'm not the only one that thinks these things are magical! Knopfler74 made the comment in his thread that they should just be selling pickups. I'm amazed everytime I plug in.

So i'm not the only one that thinks these things are magical! Knopfler74 made the comment in his thread that they should just be selling pickups. I'm amazed everytime I plug in.

You can get them from Matt, but they are very expensive. Or so it's been mentioned "over there!" ;)

ALL 19 get played over the course of the week- (I try to play at least 2 hours each day (usually between 9-11 pm- at home in front of my computer)...I gravitate towards my favorites...

1) Heritage H150CM with ebony board; 2) Carvin CS4; 3) Epiphone Les Paul; or 4) PRS Singlecut w/ Soapbars... not necessarily in that order...as for changing strings, get Sperzel locking tuners and string changes take less than 5 mins...I don't mind, i often change 5-6 sets in 30-45 mins (depending on how many beers i have) lol-

post-6842-0-88007800-1356627474_thumb.jpgHats off to those of us who collect this strung art and make it come alive on occasion :love10:, those of us whose living art shows how much it has lived :laughing8:, and those of us who are in the middle. :laughing4:

If I were to do it all over again, I do not know if I would have bought any more or any less...but I definitely would have played more. My current goal remains to minimize the herd. And play more. ....Ok, enough lamenting... my kids want to play music...taking the week off...turning to 11....Got to go. See my FOR SALE ads on HOC. What does not go here will likely get taken to a local music store.

For the last few months I've rotated from day to day the H-555, Kurzweil PCx88, and Rickenbacker 650. I love them all and would feel bad if any were neglected. My Gibson Dove is in the closet but I've had it since 71 and go through periods where it gets played extensively too. Sadly, last month I inherited a Jimmy Vaughn strat left to me by a very dear friend. I've been leaving it in the practice studio and using it with the band ( I play keyboards ) for jamming at the end of practices. Honestly, they're more than I need but at this time I want them all.

Horace

Guest HRB853370

According to reliable sources DB, you have "retired" ALL of your Heritage guitars!! What a shame.

Hate to admit but my Heritages sit unplayed way too much. Think I am just more of a Fender type long scale player. The upper register frets of a Gibbie scale neck is a tight squeeze for my finger tips.

I do break them out from time to time thinking that I will sell one but they are so damn awesome it is hard. The tone, the effortless playing after wrestling with a Tele, (except for those upper frets) the vibe in general. I tend to get resmitten if that is a real word.

Considering selling my 150 or my 157 or my 575, we'll see.

Guest HRB853370
Hate to admit but my Heritages sit unplayed way too much. Think I am just more of a Fender type long scale player. The upper register frets of a Gibbie scale neck is a tight squeeze for my finger tips.

I do break them out from time to time thinking that I will sell one but they are so damn awesome it is hard. The tone, the effortless playing after wrestling with a Tele, (except for those upper frets) the vibe in general. I tend to get resmitten if that is a real word.

Considering selling my 150 or my 157 or my 575, we'll see.

Pete, you really dont want to do that. They are works of art in your home. So what if you dont play them all the time? If you are not strapped for $ fuggettaboutit!

Pete, you really dont want to do that. They are works of art in your home. So what if you dont play them all the time? If you are not strapped for $ fuggettaboutit!

Not strapped thank goodness but I keep having these orphaned Teles following me home and I'm short on storage space and yes it is hard to keep a herd of guitars strung up and maintained. Who was the philosopher who said, to paraphrase very very loosely, "the more crap we have the bigger a pain in the butt it gets to be" Thoreau maybe..I'm not googling just winging that one.

Not strapped thank goodness but I keep having these orphaned Teles following me home and I'm short on storage space and yes it is hard to keep a herd of guitars strung up and maintained. Who was the philosopher who said, to paraphrase very very loosely, "the more crap we have the bigger a pain in the butt it gets to be" Thoreau maybe..I'm not googling just winging that one.

Wasn't it Rockefeller who said: "Every possession is an obligation."? I hear you HFan.

Wasn't it Rockefeller who said: "Every possession is an obligation."? I hear you HFan.

Yepper. Here is the one I was thinking of: “It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.” – Henry David Thoreau but then again he probably never had GAS.

There once was a man named Thoureau;

"Things Are a Trap!" he would crow:

I said with a leer, "Come on over here!"

And gave that non-player a slap.

OK, I'd better not quit my day job. Still, while not a terribly sound investment (pun intended), I know I could get a good percentage of my used guitar/amp purchases back if I absolutely had to. For now, they give me a peace and happyness, whether I'm playing them or simply enjoying their beauty as they hang on the walls and sit in thier stands.

I think those sayings about possessions is referencing the mere preoccupation with acquiring. Acquiring in and of itself will likely suffocate you eventually...but I do not see "us" as doing that. (Unless you are doing that!).

I hear lots of guys here running a flow of out with what is not played and in with the new. Or newer.

We are enjoying the experience of seeing others own, owning ourselves, and learning from ourselves and others, socializing, etc. I remember having to drive all over the place to do what we do here on line....to music stores and music scenes all over the place....so from a rationalization stand point...just the fuel saved by being on line is enough ...to ...go buy another guitar with......

Schundog - if you are from Central Illinois, I bet you know about the guitar maker great named Hollenbeck. Nice man. Shop teacher to boot.

Archived