Heritage Owners Club

BYOC Analog Chorus Pedal demo clips

LK155

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12101511

I know exactly what you're going to say if you listen to this......"Well, I guess that's about two and a half minutes of my life I'll never get back...."

Lousy playing, nice sounds.

Surprised me how little effect changing the depth control made. Change the speed and you can definitely hear the difference.

I tried the last two clips as H535-->Chorus-->Delay-->amp, but it sounded better as H535-->Delay-->Chorus-->amp, so that's the way I recorded it.

And I learned something important about this pedal: if you're running it on battery, you need to disconnect the incoming cable from the guitar when not in use.

Otherwise you drain the battery. Sounds incredibly dumb, but I didn't know this. I stupidly assumed that the pedal was only using the battery when you stepped on the bypass button to make it work! Wrong. As long as you've got a cable coming into it, this pedal is using the battery. Wish I'd known that before killing two 9V batteries. Noob.

Guest HRB853370
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12101511

I know exactly what you're going to say if you listen to this......"Well, I guess that's about two and a half minutes of my life I'll never get back...."

Lousy playing, nice sounds.

Surprised me how little effect changing the depth control made. Change the speed and you can definitely hear the difference.

I tried the last two clips as H535-->Chorus-->Delay-->amp, but it sounded better as H535-->Delay-->Chorus-->amp, so that's the way I recorded it.

And I learned something important about this pedal: if you're running it on battery, you need to disconnect the incoming cable from the guitar when not in use.

Otherwise you drain the battery. Sounds incredibly dumb, but I didn't know this. I stupidly assumed that the pedal was only using the battery when you stepped on the bypass button to make it work! Wrong. As long as you've got a cable coming into it, this pedal is using the battery. Wish I'd known that before killing two 9V batteries. Noob.

Most if not all stomp pedals are like that Lyle. But of course, we men never read the manual do we!

Lush tones, nicely recorded. All the equipment sounds terrific, Lyle. You must be pleased with what you're producing there. Nice arpeggios, and some cool Yes-sounding stuff.

Thanks, Rob. For the Yes-sounding stuff I presume you refer to the second-last clip, where I turned the low E down to D and used only the bridge pickup. While playing that, I was trying to think who it (unintentionally) sounded like, but couldn't come up with an answer. Yes, Yes might be correct. Yes, I think so. Yes, Yes indeed.

Most if not all stomp pedals are like that Lyle. But of course, we men never read the manual do we!

Will, I know that ignorance is no excuse, but I didn't know that about pedals. The only other pedal I own is the MXR delay, and I've never run it on battery, always with the AC adapter. And the documentation that came with the BYOC chorus pedal tells you how to build it, not operate it. So I'm innocent.

It does point out, though, what I consider lousy design of the user interface. The thing has an 'on/bypass' button, so why doesn't that control the power? It likely goes back to the invention of the first guitar pedal in the late 1800's, by Dr. Alexander Graham Fuzzstomp and his lab assistant Eyegore Watson. I think the conversation went something like this (with apologies to the Bell Institute, Mel Brooks, and the Zucker brothers):

Dr. Fuzzstomp (yelling): "Mr. Watson, come here."

Eyegore (coming in from an adjacent room...Dr. Fuzzstomp had inexplicably not summoned him by telephone): "Yes, master. What is it?"

Dr. Fuzzstomp: "I've just finished my first stompbox for electric guitar. Listen to this..." (he then proceeds to tear off a few Jimi licks with full fuzz in place)

Eyegore: "Awesome, master. But I have a question."

Dr. Fuzzstomp: "Oh? What's that?"

Eyegore: "An interrogative statement designed to elicit information. But that's not important right now. How do you turn your contraption on and off?"

Dr. Fuzzstomp: "Good point. There isn't enough room for a separate power switch, so how about we use the on/bypass footswitch?"

Eyegore: "Nah, that's too simple. Let's do this: make it work off the input jack. If the user plugs something into your pedal, the power comes on. If he unplugs it, the power goes off. Perfectly logical."

Dr. Fuzzstomp: "Great idea, Eyegore. Let's do it your way."

Eyegore: "I'll take care of that for you, master. Then I can get back to practicing my drumming."

Dr. Fuzzstomp: "Bugger. You've drooled on my schematic."

I think this pedal sounds great! I really love how versatile it seems to be in your examples. They are nicely recorded, and the playing is great too! Thanks for posting these!

Bravo LK155! Your presentation is nothing short of a cunning array of stunts!!! How DO I subscribe to this thread...?

I loved the level-headed moderator describing the settings. One question. (sure, what is it?) What did he mean when he said the level was a-boot 1/4?

I went to the HOC Las Vegas transplant for interpretation. Now I get it. A-boot as in almost. I learn something new every day!

Cool pedal. I trust you don't mind if I make you an offer on yours. The ones I build keep letting the smoke out. Nice work!

Well, there is a trimpot on the board, but I'm not sure what it adjusts.

The assembly manual says only this:

"After you complete your chorus build, you will need to set the internal trimpot. While the pedal is engaged and plugged into an amplifier, turn the trimpot until you hear the effect turn on. Carefully adjust it further so that you get the cleanest, least distorted signal possible."

My experience was that the trimpot set at minimum passed no signal. Turning it up slightly caused loud, worrisome crackling noises from the amp, turning it to about half way gave a clear sound, and setting it to max once again passed no signal. I couldn't discern much difference when adjusting it in its working range, so just left it somewhere in the middle.

The depth control does make a difference in the effect, it's just not as pronounced as the difference made by tweaking the speed control. But turn the speed up too high and the modulation gets to be too much.

Having said all that, it's easy to dial in a very nice effect.

Archived