Heritage Owners Club

What is your cleanest sounding amp?

Guest HRB853370

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fender Concert II. It can also be too clean or hard sounding for some.

I ran it with THD yellow jackets with el84's and a green back for a while trying to get it to break up easier or sooner. Didnt work, its just loud and clean.

My Frenzel, no question about it.

I have an Evans with a 15" . Famous with pedal steel players and jazz men too. It will put a clean hole through any obstacle. I keep a volume limiting switch on it at home so it doesn't hurt anybody.

Guest HRB853370
My Music Man HD-130 without a doubt. It really has those sparkling Fender cleans, even though it's not a Fender. If anything it's too clean for some.

Music Man IS Fender!

Guest HRB853370
As for tube amps...Mesa Boogie Mk IV (clean channel), but overall far and away the cleanest and most versatile is the Axe-Fx.

But thats not an amp!

Guest HRB853370
Perhaps I should clarify........you are correct it's not AN amp,,,,,,,,it's 70+ amps.

You mean 70+ simulations. And who would ever need that?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Slammer" data-cid="282794" data-time="1359870402"><p>

You mean 70+ simulations. And who would ever need that?</p></blockquote>

Recording and cover band musicians.

The signal goes through a preamplification stage where the character and magnitude of the signal are impacted and prepped for the power stage. The signal then goes through the power stage and the character/magnitude is impacted further and prepared for delivery to the driver.

Was I talking about a vintage tube *pick your model* amp or an AxeFx/Pod/whatever? Exactly.

All that being said though... I agree that 70+ amps is more than really any guitarist doing anything will ever need or use.

However, putting it in perspective, let's look at the Vox AC30. I think the Normal channel is just do die for. LOVE the tone. I have really no use for the TB channel. So, half the capabilities of that amp are wasted on me. (If you've ever heard me play, you could argue the one I do play through is also a waste! haha)

The new Marshall DSL100, ... ok, that one I love the sound of every channel and gain setting it is capable of.

The Gibson GA40/42RVT I really haven't spent too much time on the second channel of this one or done the jumper trick I hear you can do with this one. The first channel is very, very nice.

Fender BFDR.... nuff' said.

Mesa Boogie Mark V gain... WHOA.

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 clean... WHOA.

The only real argument I'd have against me owning an AxeFx, and this is just me, is that it is really for a knob twiddler. I hate messing with knobs. I don't like going through cabs. I don't like setting up mics (real or virtual). I want to plug in, flip a switch and go.

On the other hand, once you get your sound, you got your sound. No worries about the temperature of the room, or aging of the tubes.... it is just there.

I'd guess, for me, a do it all amp would be the Mesa Boogie Mark V. It wouldn't do the cleans quite like I'd want but it'd the the gains MUCH better than the Express.

I'd much rather have the Mark V and Express as a pair... but... hey, I don't have the money for a used Gibson GA40RVT... so... yeah. You now know the possibility of me getting one let alone two of those Mesa amps!

Archived