Heritage Owners Club

Amp Isolation

DetroitBlues

When I play at church these days, my Blues Junior is just off stage, pointed backwards, mic-ed up, and coveraround the top, front, and back with acoustic foam rubber pieces. No plexi-glass shield, although that's what we do around and over the drum kit, and mic it up. After I watched your video, this was one of the suggestions at the end. I'm just not sure you'd want to lug it around everywhere you play. Grubber has an attenuator for sale currently? Good Luck.

It sounds like you like a scooped sound, Detroit, or the dumble sound.

Buying one of those just seems like a lot of expense, and trouble to set up and break down. I'd go one

of the more traditional routes:

1) less wattage, crank 'er up. I've seen a guy play a 5 watt Marshall tube amp, cranked up the whole time, during a gig at a bar and it sounded great

2) what Schundog said: attenuator. There are also amps that come with power scaling built in, they're pricey, and sound great.

3). pedals (but you knew that)

4). turn the tone pot all the way down on your strat -scoop the mids, you'll get that tone

No one in the audience will notice your tone. Just you, and other guitarists.

Hey Schundog, I defer. You're probably right, you have a lot more experience than me and I hadn't thought about getting lost in the mix, but it sounds like a good bet that he would.

Tone pot manipulation works at home but probably that kind of sound would get lost in the mix up on stage.

Hey Schundog, I defer. You're probably right, you have a lot more experience than me and I hadn't thought about getting lost in the mix, but it sounds like a good bet that he would.

Tone pot manipulation works at home but probably that kind of sound would get lost in the mix up on stage.

I just remembered reading an article how metal shredders that scoop the mids have to play extremely loud to cut through the mix, which is why they like it so much. I believe most "boost" pedals are mid boost pedals (which coincidentally is what the Eric Clapton Strat has built in.)

I think the problem with this idea is that you aren't muffling the energy across the spectrum. Depending on materials, depth of material, construction techniques, etc, you are going to be screwing up your sound. No sense stuffing a $2k+ amp in there to have your harmonics and all the sweetness muffled out.

Conversely, if you have a cab with some undesirable eq, you may be able to engineer that out with one of these. You'd have to have a sound lab to do that though, or just be plain lucky.

When I play at church these days, my Blues Junior is just off stage, pointed backwards, mic-ed up, and coveraround the top, front, and back with acoustic foam rubber pieces. No plexi-glass shield, although that's what we do around and over the drum kit, and mic it up. After I watched your video, this was one of the suggestions at the end. I'm just not sure you'd want to lug it around everywhere you play. Grubber has an attenuator for sale currently? Good Luck.

The foamboard 2 section box is very close to what pro's use onstage now, or maybe offstage is more correct. It's a great solution to the volume problem, makes it easy to get a great sound at low levels, and would be a bitch to lug around to club gigs.

lexan001_zps006b032b.jpg

just go to lowes or home depot. get 2 18x24 1/4" sheets of lexan, packing tape the center seam, folds to a 1/2 inch thick, lightweight. I never leave the house without it, works GREAT and way cheaper than the clearsonic panels, under 40 bucks

plexi

Does that really work?

I've read a lot of threads on these forums regarding the purchase of new amps, pedals, screens, plexi-shields. Everyone wants to run their amps at the "sweet spot" and keep volumes at reasonable levels.

Really guys, for the cost of a couple of pedals, some ouf you should just bite the bullet and buy a quality attenuator you can use with any of your amps.

I've read a lot of threads on these forums regarding the purchase of new amps, pedals, screens, plexi-shields. Everyone wants to run their amps at the "sweet spot" and keep volumes at reasonable levels.

Really guys, for the cost of a couple of pedals, some ouf you should just bite the bullet and buy a quality attenuator you can use with any of your amps.

Some amps I love cranked and thats there only attraction for me. They have no use at low volumes. They need speaker break up to help the preamp and power amp smooth out. No attenuation of the amp itself is going to help that final part of the sound.

But to honest after watching the vid and having tried a screen I would rather just hear the amp than a muffled version of a good thing or the sound of my amp through monitors.

Im a dedicated stomp user. I went that route when I discovered speaker break up is just as important to me as power amp break up. Seemed like emulating sounds would be easier than chasing an unobtainable ideal. I can pretty much have the same sounds at any volume.

I still want a Deluxe Reverb and a JTM45 that I dont use below 7. Those are the sounds that yank my chain and the volume I want to hear them at. :)

Some amps I love cranked and thats there only attraction for me. They have no use at low volumes. They need speaker break up to help the preamp and power amp smooth out. No attenuation of the amp itself is going to help that final part of the sound.

But to honest after watching the vid and having tried a screen I would rather just hear the amp than a muffled version of a good thing or the sound of my amp through monitors.

Im a dedicated stomp user. I went that route when I discovered speaker break up is just as important to me as power amp break up. Seemed like emulating sounds would be easier than chasing an unobtainable ideal. I can pretty much have the same sounds at any volume.

I still want a Deluxe Reverb and a JTM45 that I dont use below 7. Those are the sounds that yank my chain and the volume I want to hear them at. :)

I'd like another 18 watt clone. Maybe one day...

Does that really work?

yes

you can't make a final decision by the clearsonic panel vid, try it, sure it soften the highs but you can move the panels around to open the sound up some more and keep your stage volume down and from "spreadin the stage" the biggest thing it lowers stage volume and in smaller places it helps our out front sound immensely

I'm a big amp loud kinda guy but since using this it really helps a lot in real world sound solutions

man, it's a cheap thing to try

plexi

Well, I've got the Deluxe Reverb and have run it through an "Alex's Attenuator" and a Dr. Z Brake Lite. The "Alex" has circuitry that mimics various charactoristics an amp will see with at speaker attached. It's also more adjustable at higher attenuation settings. That said, my ears don't hear a lot of difference between the Dr. Z and the Alex.

As far as the contribution of speaker breakup -I guess that's personal preference. All I can say is my DR sounds just as great attenuated with the volume at 7 or 8 as it does when it's not attenuated -with or without pedals. I don't expect I'm hearing much speaker breakup since the speaker is rated at 60 or 75 watts and the amp is rated for 22.

I always say the wattage needs to be right for the gig. I would rather have many amps and a few gtrs than vice versa. I surely

can't see putting plexi up in front of a multi speaker rig. Isn't that why you buy a multi speaker rig, for coverage??? For smaller

gigs I use lower wattage amp that can be cranked with an ext cab for coverage. I also like inefficient speakers! My 18 watt clone

just gets dirtier when it gets past 5 which isn't loud to begin with. In tough situations I let my pedal board do what the amp can't.

I always say the wattage needs to be right for the gig. I would rather have many amps and a few gtrs than vice versa. I surely

can't see putting plexi up in front of a multi speaker rig. Isn't that why you buy a multi speaker rig, for coverage??? For smaller

gigs I use lower wattage amp that can be cranked with an ext cab for coverage. I also like inefficient speakers! My 18 watt clone

just gets dirtier when it gets past 5 which isn't loud to begin with. In tough situations I let my pedal board do what the amp can't.

words of wisdom!!

Archived